My 2008 FJR 1300

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I still have mine also but sadly it sits in the garage still needing repair and a solution to the ABS fiasco light.

99K on the ODO

Just traded in my 08 with a couple hundred thousand on it.
May I ask what kind of seat you chose for most if not all those miles? Seems most prefer the Russell but I’m only about 12k into my used ‘07 (which now is nearing 70k) with a stock seat and I’m of the opinion the stock seat HAS to go. Sore butt after only 4 hrs. For what it’s worth, I’m 5’11” and 180 lbs. Rather buy another seat than add weight (cushion) to my own chassis. 😊

ANYTHING is an improvement over the stock seat, always amazes me how yamaha could do such a great job on this bike then give us the seat and windshield they decided on!

May I ask what kind of seat you chose for most if not all those miles? Seems most prefer the Russell but I’m only about 12k into my used ‘07 (which now is nearing 70k) with a stock seat and I’m of the opinion the stock seat HAS to go. Sore butt after only 4 hrs. For what it’s worth, I’m 5’11” and 180 lbs. Rather buy another seat than add weight (cushion) to my own chassis. 😊
I have a Russell Day Long seat that works wonders. It works very well for me. 05 fjr 127,000

ANYTHING is an improvement over the stock seat, always amazes me how yamaha could do such a great job on this bike then give us the seat and windshield they decided on!
I never found the stock seat that awful. 295,000 km on my 2007 and 160,000 km so far on my 2011. I won't say it couldn't be better but I have tolerated much worse.

So Ross have you ever ridden a corbin seat its a day and night difference. Ive done a 1000 mile day on a corbin but the stock seat had me in tears at about 4-5 hours LOL
I have never ridden a Corbin, but the 2011 bike I bought lightly used came with a Russell and I put over 5000 km on it in less than a week on my fly-and-ride back from British Columbia to New Brunswick. Another few thousand km after that but I sold it because it was built for someone shorter then me - pushed me into the tank too much. I've done 1000 mile (1600km) days on the stock seat but more typically 600 to 650 miles multiple days in a row to get from A to B. Not saying that a custom fitted aftermarket seat wouldn't be an improvement but I don't need to spend the money to enjoy the bike.

I had the Russell day long(rider and passenger) could only last an hour or so on the stock seat. I am 5' 11-1/2" and around 205lb in street clothes.

I use the Top Sellerie Gel seat on both my bikes. It is extremely comfortable and I am happy to recommend it to anyone. I was so happy with the one for my FJR that I immediately went and bought one for my NT.

They offer a large number of options and you can get them on Amazon.

Wait and buy a Russell Day Long over the winter down time. Best seat ever for long miles. The patented spring that runs crossways across the seat is the key. If you like to hang off the seat - this isn't the seat for you..

So Ross have you ever ridden a corbin seat its a day and night difference. Ive done a 1000 mile day on a corbin but the stock seat had me in tears at about 4-5 hours LOL

Same. I put a few years and many long days on the stock saddle and just refused to pay what new saddles cost. The stock saddle, compared to many I've had, was OK -- not good, but OK. Then I saw a used Corbin online (maybe here; I don't really remember) for a smoking good price, and I grabbed it. I've done many 600-mile days and a few 800-mile day, and I'm satisfied.

This is kind of drifting off the original post, but in addition to the other great suggestions for saddles, I suggest Spencer seat mods. I had him massage my stock saddle, and oh man what a diff.

Yep he has been out of business for a long time now but did really great work, had an excellent reputation on many forums.