My 2018 FJR Phantom Blue

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunnyorlando

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
My 2018 Blue FJR during my trip put west last May...
> Just under 20k miles
> Recall completed at 13k - no issues
> Delkevic slip ons
> Zumo XT
> HeliBar Risers
> PIAA lights
> Corbin seat
> VStream windshield
> TRex case protectors
And otherstuff... some otmes added post trip so not showing here
This was an awesome trip on an awesome bike
> Any guesses where these pics are taken? I'm sure any have been at these spots.

Last year it was to The Grand Canyon -next is the Northeast again to Canada (PEI & Nova Scotia)
2018 FJR 2.jpg2018 FJR 1.jpg2018 FJR 6.jpg2018 FJR 5.jpg2018 FJR 4.jpg

Last edited:
-next is the Northeast again to Canada (PEI & Nova Scotia)
If you have the time, you should consider Newfoundland - one of my favorite riding destinations. 2000+ miles to the ferry from Florida. You would want a minimum of 10-12 days on the island...

Edit: I just realized that your post was from 2021. Have you made plans for the Northeast? If you have the time for Newfoundland, you can do a bit of Nova Scotia (Cape Breton) along the way.

Last edited:
If you have the time, you should consider Newfoundland - one of my favorite riding destinations. 2000+ miles to the ferry from Florida. You would want a minimum of 10-12 days on the island...

Edit: I just realized that your post was from 2021. Have you made plans for the Northeast? If you have the time for Newfoundland, you can do a bit of Nova Scotia (Cape Breton) along the way.
Plans are in the works for later this year, Aug/Sep. I've done all do NS and PEI, Newfoundland is on the radar.

I'm curious about the ferry ride from Florida - to NS? Never heard of that one.

I'm curious about the ferry ride from Florida - to NS? Never heard of that one.
I haven't either. Cruises maybe but haven't heard about a vehicle carrier.
The only ferry I know about from the USA to Nova Scotia is the fast CAT from Bar Harbour ME to Yarmouth NS.
Not especially cheap and doesn't save a lot of time unless you are visiting the southwestern part of NS. It would save some highway miles (but little or no time) if your destination is eastern NS and Cape Breton.
https://www.ferries.ca/thecat/overview/
Let me know if you have an interest in Newfoundland - I have covered most of the paved roads in the province in a half dozen or more trips. As I said, you need to plan on a stay of at least 10-12 days to justify the time and expense of getting there - not to mention that the province is pretty big. Weather can sometimes be a challenge - I have had a couple of trips cut short...

Interesting how experiences vary. Been to Newfoundland once. While no regrets about going, it was not a great riding experience for me and have no plans to ever go back. Much better riding in Quebec and Ontario in my opinion. But then again, I don’t ride the 10s of thousands of kilometres a year like Ross does. 😊

Interesting how experiences vary. Been to Newfoundland once. While no regrets about going, it was not a great riding experience for me and have no plans to ever go back. Much better riding in Quebec and Ontario in my opinion. But then again, I don’t ride the 10s of thousands of kilometres a year like Ross does. 😊
I've cut back a bit...:)
(Although I'm headed to Winnipeg tomorrow)

I like the camping, food, coastal villages, scenery, the people etc. in Newfoundland If you want challenging roads and great weather, it isn't the best choice. Long distances to cover between places as well.

I haven't either. Cruises maybe but haven't heard about a vehicle carrier.
The only ferry I know about from the USA to Nova Scotia is the fast CAT from Bar Harbour ME to Yarmouth NS.
Not especially cheap and doesn't save a lot of time unless you are visiting the southwestern part of NS. It would save some highway miles (but little or no time) if your destination is eastern NS and Cape Breton.
https://www.ferries.ca/thecat/overview/
Let me know if you have an interest in Newfoundland - I have covered most of the paved roads in the province in a half dozen or more trips. As I said, you need to plan on a stay of at least 10-12 days to justify the time and expense of getting there - not to mention that the province is pretty big. Weather can sometimes be a challenge - I have had a couple of trips cut short...
I did the ferry from NS to the mainland back then after coming in from PEI to NS. It was a relaxing few hours that day to then start heading S through New England.
My upcoming trip will alos include the ferry which apparently now is a modern hydrofoil style ship, vs the old one.

If your time is limited, you may want to check into using the “auto train” north from Florida. Would lop off a big chunk of hot weather, not-so-nice riding down south while you sleep.

We talked to a group of 3, Florida plate GS riders at the Peaks of Otters lodge on the BRP about a week ago that had taken the auto-train north and were riding Skyline and the Parkway southbound. I have no idea what the cost of it was, but it sounded like a reasonable idea.