My Bike is Finally Done!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UselessPickles

Making Grand Canyon replicas from air boxes...
Reaction score
I finally got my Holeshot headers back from being modified to mount an O2 sensor and getting ceramic coated. Good timing too, because today was sunny and almost 50 degrees! The first good riding weather that I've been able to take advantage of since I totaled my 2007 FJR. Here's the end result:

completed_bike_rear.jpg

completed_bike_side.jpg

This was the first time that I (or anyone, for that matter) has experienced the sound of Remus Hexacones on a Holeshot header out on the road :) . I like it a lot. A riding friend claims that it is not annoying to ride behind me with this exhaust (removable baffles are out). He also did a drive-by on my bike for me so I could hear the exhaust as the bike passed me. It's a very nice deep rumble that isn't excessively loud.

Sound sample:

(videos don't do the sound justice... it has a very deep powerful sound to it that doesn't come through well in the video).

My Motty AFR Tuner seems to be doing a good job of tuning the fuel injection to match the exhaust and the Wicked Webby air box mod. The Motty has already added tons of fuel to full throttle in the 4k-5k RPM range, which matches up with there Wicked Webby saw the largest gains from the air box mod.

Look closely and you'll see the black fairing hardware kit from https://www.tastynuts.com/. This is the way Yamaha should've delivered the bike from the factory, instead of shiny steel bolts on the black fairing. Here's some close ups. See how many black replacement bolts you can find:

tastynuts_upper_fairing.jpg

tastynuts_front_fender.jpg

tastynuts_side.jpg

tastynuts_tail.jpg

And here's a view of what I get to look at while I ride. Visible are my Garmin Zumo 550 on the Techmount stem mount, Audiovox Cruise Control panel, Manic Salamander bar end weights, OEM heated grips, VStream windshield and an accessory outlet on the right upper fairing:

completed_bike_rider_view.jpg

It sure felt good to get back on the bike finally, and it feels really good to have completed so many modifications to the bike myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very Nice. :)

I wish mine was that clean. I also like wear you put that power outlet. I don't think I have seen that one before. But then i am still a Newbie.

Lots to learn with all the Farkles.

Pickle Dood, excellent write-up and pics for all the mods. Thanks for what will be a big help for the rest of us. Now some road testing no doubt. Hope it all works out ok.

What's next? No way you can rest after all this. How about a sidecar? My Airedale would like one.

Gary in Fairbanks

Pickles,

Good looking bike for it's first installment of enhancements.

Now you need to go out and enjoy it.
:yahoo:
Live with it for a while, tune it to your needs. Thanks for sharing the fun with the rest of the FJRForum. We will be watching to see what you will do next. :clapping:

I like the location for the Powerlet, I may duplicate it on my pride and joy.

tastynuts_upper_fairing.jpg

If you will be planning for heated clothing in the future, that location on the left side is a great spot for the co-ax connectors with the heatroller knobs just above on the horizontal area. Works bitchin for my bike. You can dismount and stand next to the bike with the cords to your left instead of between your legs.

I'm anxious to see how well the Motty AFR Tuner lives up to your expectations. :)

Brodie

I like the location for the Powerlet, I may duplicate it on my pride and joy.
Space is pretty limited right there, so be sure to use cardboard or similar to stand in for the fairing to test hole locations before drilling into the fairing. Even after doing that, I was still sweating a bit while drilling the fairing and wondering how much I'd have to pay for a replacement. I'm glad it worked out. My only use for that power outlet (so far) is to charge the battery and power my small air pump that I keep under my seat.

If you will be planning for heated clothing in the future, that location on the left side is a great spot for the co-ax connectors with the heatroller knobs just above on the horizontal area. Works bitchin for my bike. You can dismount and stand next to the bike with the cords to your left instead of between your legs.
I haven't felt the need for heated clothing yet, but I'll remember this if I do some day. I've never done any long rides below 40 degrees... except the 80 mile ride home from the dealership in December when it was 28 degrees. Even then, it was only my hands and feet that were a problem. Heated grips now take care of the hands. Maybe I could go for heated socks :)

I'm anxious to see how well the Motty AFR Tuner lives up to your expectations. :)
It's working as advertised so far. It's pretty cool to look at the data log and see the actual AFR get closer to the target. It's easiest to pick out the full-throttle acceleration portions of the log to see the progress (now I wish I would've saved that log so I could post a screen shot). The Motty seems to be doing its part perfectly. Now it's all on me (with some help of a short dyno session) to figure out what air/fuel ratios I want under different conditions. Unlike PCIII maps, these Motty AFR maps could be shared among any FJR no matter what mods it has. When I'm happy with my AFR map I'll post it as a good starting point for anyone else that decides to try the Motty.

A nice weekend of some local riding has confirmed it: I like my bike :)

The performance mods seem to be doing their job. Thanks to the data logging on the Motty, I was able to get some accurate acceleration times:

0-60: 2.8s

0-100: 6.7s

0-120: 10.7s (compare to my best 1/4 mile time on my last bike of 11.36 @ 120mph)

I was also able to stay right with my friend on his cbr600rr from 70mph to 140mph. This was all on a closed course under supervision of experts, of course :) .

Now I'm working on leaning out parts of the AFR map for fuel efficiency at cruising speeds. Once I get that nailed down, I'll have to avoid the temptation for a full tank of gas to see what my gas mileage will be for "normal" riding.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not done. Stop kidding yourself.
lol... yeah, you're right. But all the major upgrades are done. Compared to what I've done already, almost any farkle I decide to add in the future will seem like a trivial job. I'm really glad to have the cruise control installation done.

I was wondering what my 09 would look like with the Hexacones.

Now I just have to dig into the piggy bank :)

Your bike looks great.

Sweet work on the bike. So far my farkles include frame sliders, a Pirates Lair passenger backrest for the wife, Progressive tank guard, and Tank Slapper headlight shields. I'm sure that's not the end......