My ECM Recall Completed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartyO

Reaction score
Just had my ECM replaced on my 06A in 25 minutes while I waited. Shop was great and there doesn't seem to be any changes in the bike. Took a 230 mile freeway run yesterday and it runs great. I did have the affects of altitude problems a few times in the past. I'll have to wait and see if it is fixed. I did have the shop order the part ahead of time and they had it in a couple of days.

North County Motorsports in North San Diego County (Vista, CA). They seem to be doing good work for me. I've had them do valve check (no adjustment required), steering head disassemble / repack,TBS and ECM recall.

I'm at 41,000 miles and the bike is better than ever. Kind of cool being able to put so many miles on a bike without problems or major expense. I am going through tires about evey 9000 miles. I'm on my second set of Storms and they work well. Looks like these may last 10,000.

Did I mention my FJR is fun, fast and comfortable. I think I'll have a new seat under the Christmas tree.

MartyO

If you do the Barbarian Mod as is fully described elsewhere on this Forum, the bike will run much better in the lower gears. It allows you to change the low speed CO settings in the computer. I increased the CO numbers by 7 which in effect richens up the mixture at low throttle settings.

I put off doing it for a long time because it sounded complicated. Not, took me about 30 minutes and made quite a difference.

I've looked up and researched the Barbarian Jumper Mod and it makes sense and looks doable. Have to say the name put me off thinking it was "barbarian low tech". Looks like the founders put extensive thought and research into this mod.

Has the question of deposit build up in the cats been answered. Many of the 03's with the mod have been around a long time. Seems they would have plugged up by now if they were going to. Let me know your thoughts on this question.

This mod sounds like when I did the throttle spring relief fix. It worked great and is so much better to ride.

Thanks for the good advice. I'll let you know the results.

Have to say the name put me off thinking it was "barbarian low tech".
The name for the modification comes from Tom Barber (aka Barbarian) and Dwayne Verhey (aka Torch) who figured out how to enable a North American spec'd FJR1300 to have it's EFI's CO setting adjusted, like the European and OZ/NZ models allow. (Paraphrased from the fjr1300_info site.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Niehart,

Thanks for suggesting the "Barbarian Jumper Mod". I did this to my 06 and it works great. Immediate noticeable change in performance. I thought it was good before and like you said it is even better now.

Special thanks for responding to my post on the forum. You have helped me a lot.

Thanks again,

MartyO

Just had my ECM replaced on my 06A in 25 minutes while I waited. Shop was great and there doesn't seem to be any changes in the bike. Took a 230 mile freeway run yesterday and it runs great. I did have the affects of altitude problems a few times in the past. I'll have to wait and see if it is fixed. I did have the shop order the part ahead of time and they had it in a couple of days.
North County Motorsports in North San Diego County (Vista, CA). They seem to be doing good work for me. I've had them do valve check (no adjustment required), steering head disassemble / repack,TBS and ECM recall.

I'm at 41,000 miles and the bike is better than ever. Kind of cool being able to put so many miles on a bike without problems or major expense. I am going through tires about evey 9000 miles. I'm on my second set of Storms and they work well. Looks like these may last 10,000.

Did I mention my FJR is fun, fast and comfortable. I think I'll have a new seat under the Christmas tree.
How the heck are you getting that many miles out of the storms? I'm on my first set and at 5,000 miles my back tire is just about toast. I'm a fairly conservative rider. I even babyed them till my Colorado trip in October. The front still looks good, but the rear is going to have to be replaced in about 500 more miles. I went through 2 sets of the Azaros, before the Storms, and the rear lasted about 8,000 miles with the same riding conditions. WTF? Do you drive like my grandmother? :mellow:

GP

Being a newbie I have to ask....what is the ECM module replacement all about? I take it that it's covered by Yamaha. I'm the second owner of an '06 and it's out of warranty, will they still cover it? And, what issue does it address? I guess I could just spend some time and search the site for this info but it's easier just to ask here. I plan on doing all the recommended upgrades like the jumper mod and spring unwrap but I'm not sure what this one cures.

Being a newbie I have to ask....what is the ECM module replacement all about? I take it that it's covered by Yamaha. I'm the second owner of an '06 and it's out of warranty, will they still cover it? And, what issue does it address? I guess I could just spend some time and search the site for this info but it's easier just to ask here. I plan on doing all the recommended upgrades like the jumper mod and spring unwrap but I'm not sure what this one cures.
You're covered, regardless of warranty status. The recall has to do with fuel-mix auto change at higher altitudes (over 3000 ft). Call any Yamaha dealer, and tell them you need the ECU modification, per recall of 10/17/2007.

Almost 7000 miles on my current Storms. 8500 on my first set. Could have got 9000 but got a nail in the back. The fronts last longer but I just change them together. It looks like my current set is going to last around 10,000. I'll let you know.

Mostly So. Cal. freeway miles. Kind of wears flat in the middle. I almost always run my bags and usually carry backpack in one and laptop / lunch in the other. Since I start around 4:30 in the AM on the coast I have a lot of gear for the weather changes. I carry tools, tire repair kit. The bike is heavy.

The bike also sees 100 MPH daily, 110 this morning. I try not to baby it, it likes to go fast.

Zolton, it takes care of a loss of power at altitude, I had mine replaced last week with my 8,ooo mile service, even though I live in Ohio...no mountians, I decided to let them do it. You never know when you may have a chance to do some riding out west. I would think that your's would be covered...even out of warranty

Zolton, it takes care of a loss of power at altitude, I had mine replaced last week with my 8,ooo mile service, even though I live in Ohio...no mountians, I decided to let them do it. You never know when you may have a chance to do some riding out west. I would think that your's would be covered...even out of warranty

The dealer did my ECU recall yesterday. The attitude of the service dept manager was very good. Nice people, willing to help. However I haven't ridden the bike yet due to the battery being re-charged. Yesterday when I was about to load the bike on a trailer to take it to the dealer the battery was near death due to the cold weather lately. There was too much ice and sand on the road where I live to risk riding a new bike upon.

One doesn't feel the full-affect of the bike's poundage until you are manually pushing it on a trailer!! I only needed 4 more inches to get the back wheel up on the trailer when my strength was gone. So I was considering taking it back inside and doing it another day... until my neighbor noticed my predicament and helped push the bike on the platform. Wheeeeewwww... I'm exhausted.

Starting today I'm starting the farkles and taking the fairings off, it'll be awhile before I can ride it.

I have been debating whether to get the ECM replaced. I rode up and down 3600ft elevation with no ill effects. Does it take more than that? I read all the prior posts, but it was a few weeks ago and I'd rather not wade through it again.

I have been debating whether to get the ECM replaced. I rode up and down 3600ft elevation with no ill effects. Does it take more than that? I read all the prior posts, but it was a few weeks ago and I'd rather not wade through it again.
Lot's of info been discussed on the board about this subject and can be found in searching as well. The elevation problem can happen at any altitude, even sea level. Problem usually occur's at lower rpm's when the throttle has been in one position for a length of time not allowing the computer to compensate for elevation changes in the sensors. My 06 had the issue usually between 2 to 3 thousand feet always going down hill when little throttle was used as mentioned. Seems the 07's has a higher rate of occurances and the ECU replacement has seemed to resolve the issue. Get it changed out even if you have not had the problem as it could crop up and its free covered under the Yamaha service department at your local dealer or any dealer. PM. <>< :D

Niehart,Thanks for suggesting the "Barbarian Jumper Mod". I did this to my 06 and it works great. Immediate noticeable change in performance. I thought it was good before and like you said it is even better now.

Special thanks for responding to my post on the forum. You have helped me a lot.

Thanks again,

MartyO
Interesting. I did the barbarian mod to my 06 and increased the settings by 5. I noticed a hesitation in the throttle response so I dropped the settings back down to 3 over stock. The bike seemed to run just the same as stock (which was fine).
Now that I've got my new ECU installed, I'm hesitant to do the jumper mod again. My bike runs fine the way it is.

Niehart,Thanks for suggesting the "Barbarian Jumper Mod". I did this to my 06 and it works great. Immediate noticeable change in performance. I thought it was good before and like you said it is even better now.

Thanks again,

MartyO
Interesting. I did the barbarian mod to my 06 and increased the settings by 5. I noticed a hesitation in the throttle response so I dropped the settings back down to 3 over stock. The bike seemed to run just the same as stock (which was fine).
Now that I've got my new ECU installed, I'm hesitant to do the jumper mod again. My bike runs fine the way it is.
Seems to me the mod is already done, they just plugged in your modified plug to the new ECU. I'm sure the bike shop didn't reset your settings, so you're still 3 over stock. I went to 7 over stock and have had great results.

To get to your CO settings did you push the left button or both buttons after you got into dianostic mode. I had to use just the left button on my 06.

Seems to me the mod is already done, they just plugged in your modified plug to the new ECU.

This is true.

I'm sure the bike shop didn't reset your settings, so you're still 3 over stock.

NO, you will be at the settings that are installed on the new ECU (from the Factory) which will be "stock" as far as Yamaha is concerned.

Seems to me the mod is already done, they just plugged in your modified plug to the new ECU.

This is true.

I'm sure the bike shop didn't reset your settings, so you're still 3 over stock.

NO, you will be at the settings that are installed on the new ECU (from the Factory) which will be "stock" as far as Yamaha is concerned.

I agree with you captain. I was in the shower last night and got an ah ha about what I wrote. This must be why the ECU's for recall are ordered against the VIN number to have the proper setting. I got mine replaced then did the barbarian mod +7 on all and it runs great. Thanks for setting me straight.

Seems to me the mod is already done, they just plugged in your modified plug to the new ECU. I'm sure the bike shop didn't reset your settings, so you're still 3 over stock. I went to 7 over stock and have had great results.
To get to your CO settings did you push the left button or both buttons after you got into dianostic mode. I had to use just the left button on my 06.
Ahh....of course. Don't know why I was thinking that they would change my jumper settings. I don't recall at the moment what buttons I pushed but I'm pretty sure it was one at a time. I'll take a look tonight and see where my settings are.