My ECM Recall Completed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure the bike shop didn't reset your settings, so you're still 3 over stock.

I'm not sure you're correct about this. I believe the CO settings reside in the ECU, and the replacement ECUs come with the stock settings. Happy to be wrong about this.

Had my ECU replaced yesterday, bike seems to be running fine. Smelled like it was running a tad rich, but I only had it on the road long enough to get it back from the dealer to my garage - it was under 30 F yesterday morning, and with no heated grips or gloves my hands wouldn't have made it through a real shakedown ride. Mileage readout on the dash wasn't any different than normal, though.

It might just have been my imagination, but the throttle didn't seem nearly as touchy at low rpm as it was before they swapped the ECU.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had mine switched out today.. Service rep said the new ECU was ordered specific for my VIN and that it will have the same CO settings that old one did. He was right... I checked them when I got home and it set at the same as the other stock values.

I had taken off my left side lower (referred to in the olden days as the battery cover) below the seat to help speed up the process. I pulled my bike in at 1pm. Fifteen minutes later they were done!! Remember to insist on having the dealer order up your ECU ahead of time and bring your ride in after they have your ECU on hand and tell them you'll wait while they do the work.

This is such a quick deal, it would be ridiculous to have to drop your bike off and pick it up later....

A service guy originally asked me to do this when I first called to order my ECU. He wanted to have my bike on hand before he was going to order my new ECU. However, he quickly and politely said he would do it my way after I insisted. Evidently, he said if he ordered my ECU and didn't have my core shipped back by a certain date they would take a hit on the new ECU from Yamaha. I understand their position BUT good communication was key here and he understood mine and took care of me.

No worries... The dealer gave me quick quality service and I am pleased with them. Thanks to; The Hitching Post Motorsports in Fridley,MN!!

WW

Had mine switched out today.. Service rep said the new ECU was ordered specific for my VIN and that it will have the same CO settings that old one did. He was right... I checked them when I got home and it set at the same as the other stock values.
Webby - What are your CO values?

I'm suspicious that the service rep was blowing smoke, and that all the replacement ECUs have the same CO values. That would explain why some owners report performance improvements with the new ECU - they're getting higher CO values in the new unit.

I can't tell any difference with a new ECU. And I rode over the Smokies on Hwy 441 last weekend and still got engine stumbling while going uphill in slow traffic with the throttle barely cracked. It corrected itself when I upshifted and opened the throttle for a couple of seconds, but the old ECU did that too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Webby - What are your CO values?

I'm suspicious that the service rep was blowing smoke, and that all the replacement ECUs have the same CO values. That would explain why some owners report performance improvements with the new ECU - they're getting higher CO values in the new unit.

I can't tell any difference with a new ECU. And I rode over the Smokies on Hwy 441 last weekend and still got engine stumbling while going uphill in slow traffic with the throttle barely cracked. It corrected itself when I upshifted and opened the throttle for a couple of seconds, but the old ECU did that too.
Bogey,

Can't comment on the altitude stuff but...I did the Barbarian mod before my ecu swap out to double check the new ecu against my stock one. They were both the same at 5,18,18,21.

WW

Bogey,
Can't comment on the altitude stuff but...I did the Barbarian mod before my ecu swap out to double check the new ecu against my stock one. They were both the same at 5,18,18,21.

WW
Thanks for the info. I don't know, but suspect that all the new ECUs are set to 5, 18, 18, 21.

Does anyone else have one that's different?

Hey guys oh, & girls!

Funny, but I don't recall gettin' an update letter re: ECU replacement from MammaYamma! I'll have to look into that...

Mine is an '05 N. American model...does it apply to the '05?

I have a question, tho, about "fattening up" the low RPM response utilizing the Barbarian method. Is this mod accomplished simply by inputs on the control panel? Did any of you notice a change in fuel mileage - for the better or worse?

TIA for any responses!

J-DADDY

Hey guys oh, & girls!
Funny, but I don't recall gettin' an update letter re: ECU replacement from MammaYamma! I'll have to look into that...

Mine is an '05 N. American model...does it apply to the '05?

I have a question, tho, about "fattening up" the low RPM response utilizing the Barbarian method. Is this mod accomplished simply by inputs on the control panel? Did any of you notice a change in fuel mileage - for the better or worse?

TIA for any responses!

J-DADDY
Only Gen II bikes are affected ie. only 06 and 07's. The 08's are not included as well as this was suppose to be corrected in the new bikes. PM. <>< :D

Had the ECU replaced on my '07 FJR yesterday. Quick and easy job - unplug the old one, plug in the new one. A little extra work on mine because of the MC Cruise unit having to be move