My First Dog!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah a new puppy,

Poops, pukes, piss and puppy chewing everything!!

Don't miss the work BUT very gratifying once they are trained. Congrats on the pup!!

Looks like a nice dog.

WW

Nice pup, you said first one..................oh boy.

Keith, if you and the pup have bonded, (she likes you) try putting a article of clothing that you have worn and not washed, like an old t-shirt, in her bed at night. She miss her mommy, and you my friend are now the surrigate. Anyway best I've found for curing the night time yaps.

She got a name yet? One floppy ear pic is a classic. It will likely come up with time, but she's so cute, who'll notice. Prepare to spoil the hell out her cause she has already stolen your heart.

Listen to Airboss' advice, for he is wise.

That is a damn cute dog.

Dunno how the housetraining part is going, but if you have any problems with it, the one thing that has always worked for me is putting the dog on a schedule. While she's little, take her out once an hour for a few minutes and praise the hell out of her when she goes to the bathroom. She should go outside immediately after she eats, drinks a bunch, or wakes up from a long nap. If you catch her using your carpet for a toilet, don't yell at her or rub her nose in the mess, just pick her up and hustle her outside. As the dog gets older you can start easing up on the frequency of the trips outside, gauged by how many times the dog goes to the bathroom in the day. Crate training will also help.

Once puppies get used to the schedule of being praised for doing their business outside they'll start moving to the door to let you know they need to go. They aren't housetrained until they go for a full month without going in the house.

I've never had a dog take more than a couple of weeks to get the idea and start letting me know when they need to go out, and I've never had to deal with paper training, doggy diapers, or any other BS.

Good luck!

"My" first dog? That dog owns you, son, not the other way around.

And take it from me, you just got the razor handle, now you have a lifetime of buying the blades. Our boy Dalmatian swallowed a chunk of rubber toy 3 weeks ago, and couldn't poop it out. $2100 later, it's in a ziplock bag, hanging on the side of the fridge. He's none the worse for wear, but buh-bye to the tax return... :unsure:

Cute pup, you are gonna have a blast! :clapping:

I was finally ready to replace my lost -"other" daughter.

I have a new "son" we picked up Sunday. 6 weeks old.

Get an old wind up style ticking alarm clock and put next to the puppy. It really helps with the whinning at night.