My First Dog!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How'd you acquire this new one?
Local family just had a litter....unexpected....husband is on his way to jail and they wouldn't have been able to take care of the puppies. My brother/sister-in-law got his sister.

He's 10 weeks old. He's only been in the house 6 hours. Knocking on wood - no accidents yet. Took him outside, did his business, got rewarded. He played around for an hour then passed out. Had him in his crate the next 2 hours. Just started wimpering. Let him out, he walked towards the door, took him out, he did his business, got rewarded. So far so good. We had a real hard time with our first one.

Before Puppy Chow...

IMG_0632.JPG

After 1 year of Puppy Chow...

IMG_1683.JPG

Unlike my (human) daughter, she doesn't know how many times she's come close to not living through the night!!! Just like real kids these beasts can be! They're fun in the end though.

We didn't know it at the time, but the shelter we got her from conveniently neglected to tell us they had a Parvo epidemic. We adopted another puppy from the same shelter six weeks earlier that came home sick and died a short time later. A couple of irate phones calls and some strategically place threats and I got them to reimburse the cost of the treatments. She's a miracle puppy that's for sure!

Last edited by a moderator:
Awwww - what a cutie. Looks like you're going to have some fun together. Does pup know that the cats rule the house yet?
Really! We have a household of five cats and got a lab puppy a couple of years ago. During the first weeks, the cats thoroughly imprinted on the pup his place in the world, and it was no where near the top. Two years later, the dog is now ten times the weight of the nearest cat, but still sees himself in the same lowly place in the pecking order! :rolleyes:

She's a border collie / austrialian cattle dog (which is aka healer).

The training is going well so far. Only 2 days in, she's already got the outside = toilet thing, but if we are not around to take her out, she still has accidents. That's why she stays in the laundry room when we are gone.

We also have been doing what airboss said about the t-shirt at night. I think it helps, she's been really good at night. Only 10 min of yapping sunday night, and she stopped. Last night only about 1 minute of yapping and back to sleep.

Pappy: Holy dog! What the hell do they put in that puppy chow!?

The reason puppies are so cute, is that if they weren't you would never put up with them. Good looking pup, and they get better with time and attention.

Well, made it through day 1 of puppy ownership. She's only 5.6 lbs and 8 weeks old. Man those suckers can yap at night!
I did links because the pics are huge.

I didn't do it...

blue eyes

1 floppy ear

Kill the Llama

My cat's look thrilled, they actually are adjusting to the dog quite well.

clicky

Wow, that is a great looking puppy, kind of reminds me of the dog from the road warrior.... cool dog, good luck with her...

Yeah funny how the cats are just looking at it trying to figure out how to find it a new home :rolleyes:

Any way enjoy especially the potty training/ crate training etc.

Mike

I think Farkle would be a great name for a puppy...

I've actually given some consideration to trying to find a way to carry my dog on the bike, but she's a black lab mix, and I'm not willing to consider a sidecar...

I had a blue healer for a couple of years. She was a great dog, very loyal. Would chase me around the neighbor hood on my motorcycle, at 30 mph. She decided that the bed was the place for her to sleep. Nothing like trying to move a dog that just will not move to get into bed. The worst part is she went with the ex-girlfriend.

Were on our second healer here, 1st one was a pound dog someone else did not want, She went by the name of Bob E. Dogg. Got her when my son was 2, she was already full grown and already had pups. She was so mean when we first got her she would try to bite her own leg if it twitched at night. Almost took her back to the pound when she bit me the second time. The thing that saved her was how much she loved the boy, would'nt let anything get to close or move to fast around him, she'd actually herd him back to the yard if he strayed into the orchard a little. The boy loved her so much at by the time he was 17 he would'nt let me have her put down when she got sick and could'nt walk anymore. He fed her by hand and carried her in and out of the house hoping she would bet better. The boy has not had to deal with too much sorrow in his life except for the dog. He refused to let me take her to the vet and put her down, did it himself, would'nt even let me go. Talked to the vet later and found out that he stood byand held her scratching her ears as she went off to sleep. The boy did'nt have much to say for about a week or so. Then he reminded me what I told him somewhere along the way " When you get a dog it's yours for as long as it lives and you belong to it for as long as it lives." Our second healer Rusty, a Red Merle came from an employees friend. Bonded with the boy from the first day. Has already cost us $1200.00 for a real bad laceration on a front leg, the boy paid it with his savings without a second thought. The boy's gone to college now, but man you should see them when he comes home for a few days now and then, the kid really loves that dog.

1 healer = quite a handful

2 healers = 2 big handfuls

3 or more healers = land pirahnas, will chew the tires of your vehicles, lawnmowers, wheelbarrows, etc. etc.. :crazy:

By the way, the laceration on Rusty's leg happened while chasing one of our 5 cats. the dog just loves to chase them down, pin them, and bark at them.

Sorry Keith kind of got sidetracked, nice looking pup looks just like ours did just another color. Your going to love that dog.

Last edited by a moderator:
He refused to let me take her to the vet and put her down, did it himself, would'nt even let me go. Talked to the vet later and found out that he stood byand held her scratching her ears as she went off to sleep. The boy did'nt have much to say for about a week or so.
Only time I ever saw my dad cry was when he had to put his dog Sam down. He'd had that dog for 17 years. I don't think he said more than three words on any given day for a month.

Were on our second healer here, 1st one was a pound dog someone else did not want, She went by the name of Bob E. Dogg. Got her when my son was 2, she was already full grown and already had pups. She was so mean when we first got her she would try to bite her own leg if it twitched at night. Almost took her back to the pound when she bit me the second time. The thing that saved her was how much she loved the boy, would'nt let anything get to close or move to fast around him, she'd actually herd him back to the yard if he strayed into the orchard a little. The boy loved her so much at by the time he was 17 he would'nt let me have her put down when she got sick and could'nt walk anymore. He fed her by hand and carried her in and out of the house hoping she would bet better. The boy has not had to deal with too much sorrow in his life except for the dog. He refused to let me take her to the vet and put her down, did it himself, would'nt even let me go. Talked to the vet later and found out that he stood byand held her scratching her ears as she went off to sleep. The boy did'nt have much to say for about a week or so. Then he reminded me what I told him somewhere along the way " When you get a dog it's yours for as long as it lives and you belong to it for as long as it lives." Our second healer Rusty, a Red Merle came from an employees friend. Bonded with the boy from the first day. Has already cost us $1200.00 for a real bad laceration on a front leg, the boy paid it with his savings without a second thought. The boy's gone to college now, but man you should see them when he comes home for a few days now and then, the kid really loves that dog.
1 healer = quite a handful

2 healers = 2 big handfuls

3 or more healers = land pirahnas, will chew the tires of your vehicles, lawnmowers, wheelbarrows, etc. etc.. :crazy:

By the way, the laceration on Rusty's leg happened while chasing one of our 5 cats. the dog just loves to chase them down, pin them, and bark at them.
I am a vet, and used to do farm calls. Rex was a 12 year old Healer from Hell. Never trusted me, oh sure I castrated him at five to try and take some steam out of him, but no that didn't work.

He would chase my truck down the lane as I would leave the farm. I would try and drive as close to the ditch as I could so he wouldn't be able to bite my tires. But one day, he succeeded in puncturing the tire of my half ton truck while I was driving at about five or six miles per hour. That was one tough, crazy dog. Good luck man, you are going to need it.