my first pergola

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck on that 24 foot pc of lumber you will need. This 21 foot liked to kill me at $100 per pc. over 20 is HARD to find. I lucked out on a local good 'ole boy with a sawmill.
I'm using a center beam. I'll end up using two 14' headers with a bit of overhang and probably saw an interlock detail on the center post to look a bit more Craftsman.
I think even with a center beam you might want to consider doubling up the 2x8 header, since there'll be a fair amount of weight up there. You could let a 2x8 partway into each side of each post and run the headers past the post 3 times the width of the post. I would also recommend angled corner braces to prevent racking.

I think even with a center beam you might want to consider doubling up the 2x8 header, since there'll be a fair amount of weight up there. You could let a 2x8 partway into each side of each post and run the headers past the post 3 times the width of the post. I would also recommend angled corner braces to prevent racking.
Exactly my plan to double up the header (one on each side of the posts) and beefing up connectivity at the center post. 3 times the width seems like a good rule of thumb. I also like the look of doubled up headers.

Because I want to go with rectilinear Craftsman style lines I'm going to try and avoid angled corner braces and typical galvanized brackets, but may have to because of local code. I'd like to find some way to do bracing that's complimentary to the Craftsman style. We'll see how good my amateur carpentry skills and budget prove to be.

Who knew there so many choices with pergolas? ;)

Here's how we build'em in N.E. PA.... Not quite as stylish?

100_0404.jpg

Exactly my plan to double up the header (one on each side of the posts) and beefing up connectivity at the center post. 3 times the width seems like a good rule of thumb. I also like the look of doubled up headers.

Because I want to go with rectilinear Craftsman style lines I'm going to try and avoid angled corner braces and typical galvanized brackets, but may have to because of local code. I'd like to find some way to do bracing that's complimentary to the Craftsman style. We'll see how good my amateur carpentry skills and budget prove to be.

Who knew there so many choices with pergolas? ;)
Glad to see you're doubling up the headers. I've seen more than a few examples of the 'sway back' look after the pergola (or arbor, or even deck) has been up a few years. As to the corner braces, I've seen a few types of wooden corner braces on pergolas that work well with Craftsman-style architecture. Obviously you'll get a cleaner look if you can sneak by without them, and if code allows it that's what I'd try first, because they could always be added afterwards with little difficulty.

100_0404.jpg
Man!! That's exactly what I need. Put that in the back yard for the bikes and toys and free up my attached garage for putting another car in. It sure is a PITA to be clearing snow off one of our cars just 'cause my bikes need a home.

If you don't mind me askin' how much did it cost you to build that? Wonder what it'd cost to heat it in winter.

Sure looks like a man hang-out to me...

100_0404.jpg
Man!! That's exactly what I need. Put that in the back yard for the bikes and toys and free up my attached garage for putting another car in. It sure is a PITA to be clearing snow off one of our cars just 'cause my bikes need a home.

If you don't mind me askin' how much did it cost you to build that? Wonder what it'd cost to heat it in winter.

Sure looks like a man hang-out to me...
Aussie voice on:

THAT's not a Man Hang-Out...THIS is a Man Hang-Out!

Aussie voice off:

Fred,

<$10k. 20x24x10. Fits 2 pick ups & 2 bikes nicely. Check out Pole building contractors up your way.

BTW Cool Water dog

edit: Going to try electric unit heaters this year, but then again we love coal & wood round here!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahhh.. Pergola - I used to have one. Mine was a 1963.

The metal used in Europe post WWII for car production had problems, and rust was always an issue. By the time I got the thing, it was almost 20 years old, but being a 16 year old with a new license, I desperately needed a car - and the Pergola fit the bill.

When I got her, the Headlights didn't light, the battery didn't bat, and the pistons....ahhhhh.....didn't work either......... rust was the only thing holding the paint and the doors on, and the brake pedal lever was held onto the master cylinder plunger shaft by a bent 16p nail. Which failed the second day I had her.

Painted in a beautiful British Racing Green, the rust spots really complimented the pitted chrome used on the massive bumpers. The French sure could chrome stuff. The body was designed by Pininfarina, with Lucas electronics. The Lucas electronics were a real plus on dates cause the car would get really dark at just the right time. :rolleyes:

Four doors, leather interior, walnut burl dash and trim accents. No synchro on first, four speed manual. 1600cc 53 hp OHV 4, with a really classy oil bath filter. Top speed around 75 Mph.

But ya know, I took my date to the prom in that car, and what an enjoyable evening it turned out to be. Had a large back seat.

Or maybe I was just really skinny then. :blink:

wait a minute .... I'm confused again. That was a Peugeot...

Wait - did I every tell you about my Nana's Pierogi? It lived a long time, but looked really terrible when it molted. Absolutely disgusting...

ok. crap. wait....... That was her parrot! :glare: It would seem my meds have worn off.

Oh, never mind.

Honey, what's for dinner? Did Timmy fall in the well again? Check with the cat !!

But in all seriousness - Fencer, that's a damn nice Pergola - and it's your first one!! We're PROUD of ya !!

Oooohh Water-Dog,

A few feet wider, gas grill, beer-fridge, a 2000 foot grass yard stretching out in front, hmmmm....

I'm smelling hangar toy-box!!!

:yahoo:

This is my man house

I built a 2 car garage with 2 bedrooms a full bath and a den

central Heat/air cost me $45K or so

Yes there is pool table inside

littleriverreturn019.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: