My first ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin98208

Reaction score
Upgraded from a Honda Shadow 750 to a 2008 FJR1300AE two weeks ago. I have ridden it to work and back a couple of times, but yesterday I got the approval from the wife to take a half-day trip! This is my first long ride as my Shadow made both arms and my butt numb after 50 miles. I had no real plan other than to ride. I left Seattle and drove down to Gig Harbor and out to 101 from Shelton to Kingston. I got to say, I love this bike. It is so much smoother than my Shadow, and so much more fun. 101 is a winding, twisty road and perfect to check out my bike. I have read over and over about the fabled “twisties”, and though I imagined I knew what they were, I actually had no idea. Now I do. Twisties are fun!!!!!! This bike can do so much more than I am capable of. I scrapped my pegs once and it scared the bejeezers out of me. I need more practice.

At one point I got stuck behind a slow truck, dropped a gear and started to pass. Just then an oncoming car rounds the bend about half a mile away. I give it some juice and Holy Cow!!!! This bike took off and I was past the truck in two seconds! I had plenty of time before the oncoming car ever came close. My Shadow would have left me sweating, this bike had me smiling!

I took a couple of breaks and had one 2-hour stretch in the saddle. Two hours without a break is a little too long for me. Even though I have a Rich’s Custom Seat (it came with the bike, so not custom for me), my butt became numb and my head sore. I took the ferry from Kingston back to Edmonds and headed home. All told, I put 275 miles on the bike and was home in time for dinner. That was an unbelievably fun ride. Now I just need to convince the wife to give me another one-day pass. (we have a toddler and a baby, so passes are very hard to come by.)

The only thing I need to improve is the windshield. I have the Yamaha OEM Touring shield, which just isn’t that great. It’s okay, but not great. All the way down and I get full blast straight to the helmet, rocking my head around. That is fun for a while, but I do need a break from it. All the way up is buffeting. Halfway gives me some quiet and some relief, but no “bubble of silence.”

Welcome to the happy club!

btw, I don't think a "bubble of silence" exists on this bike. That or it's rare enough to be considered endangered. Different shields will cause less buffeting, depending on the rider, but not silence.

Have fun when you get those passes.

Congrats, Kevin ... looking forward to meeting you and sharing some black top. Once you get bored with the flat stuff at the coast, cast your eyes East ...

As Marcus (Ahchiu) says, one of the best reasons for owning an FJR in the PNW is the local rider network. *Really* nice people and lots of events.

Riona

Welcome to the forum. It is good to know you have a new baby the house and free pass is hard to come by - without that tidbit I was prone to say something stupid.
smile.png

Like most out here are kids are gone. The FJR is a bike for 50's somethings.

To help spend your money here is a list of farkles on my FJR.

Ride safe and if you have not taken a MSF it would be a good way to increase your enjoyment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Kevin for your "first ride" report. It's been a while since my first significant ride on the FJR that it's great to read/hear about another's impression and exhuberation about the bike many of us think is the best thing since microwavable popcorn. Makes me reflect a bit on my first impression of the bike. Smooth, responsive and quite capable of serving a lot of purposes pretty darn well. It's at home on the twisties as much as it is on the slab. It'll haul the mail to wherever you want to go (OK maybe not through wooded trails).

Enjoy your riding Kevin and don't be afraid to try out some track days with it either.

Welcome Kevin! That AE feature is neater than sliced bread, isn't it? On the buffeting, go to the short stock windshield and get a good helmet. I have the Shoei Neotec. With no windshield at all between me and the wind that helmet is as smooth as silk at any speed.

You're Welcome! :)

Welcome Kevin! That AE feature is neater than sliced bread, isn't it? On the buffeting, go to the short stock windshield and get a good helmet. I have the Shoei Neotec. With no windshield at all between me and the wind that helmet is as smooth as silk at any speed. You're Welcome! :)
+1 on the good helmet. I have the stock shield on my feej, and keep it down except when it's raining or really cold. My Shark Evoline is comfortable, and stable even at speed.

Welcome to the club. Now post some pics!