My FJR's new stable mate

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Queensland Ken

Reaction score
Been going through a long recovery process, post op, and it's all going to happen again one day, another operation, bugger!

Decided to get a bike worthy of shacking up with the FJR, the Stelvio.

Better suspension, more upright riding position, lighter and I can get it on the centre stand.

It's a bit of a wicked bike.

Stelvio+3.jpg

I've never been a fan of the Guzzi's myself. That engine configuration just has an odd look to me. That is, on all their bikes except the Stelvio. It really looks very at home and all in all is a good looking well sorted bike. I'd definitely park one of those next to the FJR for certain!

What a great looking bike, Ken. Always liked the Guzzi's, they are different and stylish and just plain fun. I just read the writeup on the new ones, this would seriously tempt me from the Super Tenere, and seems pretty loaded for the money.

I've ridden a few Guzzis and they are very fun. Love that engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought it second hand down in New South Wales with 900 + kms on it.

The poor gent is worse off than me, he bought it for his "adventure bucket list trip" but is loosing his eyesight quickly.

He had to sell his Gen 1 FJR, however he has a rather nice black M109 left.

Only a matter of time until his licence is taken away.

The NTX spec is rather comprehensive, far less $$$$ than the BMW and he had a few extras installed, eg the Staintune exhaust.

And the worse of it, is that I have to ask all the dumb questions on the Guzzi Forums lol lol

Kind of went for a ride to the shops, but forgot the milk, ended up doing 400+kms Saturday.

Now the bike is 250 kms overdue for it's first service.

I'll do a post on my observations, copy and past it to this forum.

So long as it helps keep me riding, that's the main thing !!!

Cheers

What an awesome bike !

Does the motor impart any twisting force on the bike when you accelerate?

I've never ridden anything the the crank pointed that way and always wondered how much, if any perceivable amount...

Does the motor impart any twisting force on the bike when you accelerate
No not really, it's funny at the lights but, does a bit of a jig, dance.

There is slight torque reaction blipping the throttle at idle, or when you blip the throttle at speed with the clutch pulled in.

No reaction riding the twisties, actually it's rather exciting around the mountains.

No shaft drive torque like the older BMW's or XS 11's, it's actually a lot smoother than the GSA.

Will take quite a while to run the motor in, only taking it out to 4500 rpm at the moment.

When I service the bike tomorrow I'll reset the limiter out to 5.5 - 6K for the next few weeks.

Buddy of mine has an NTX. He loves it and has 18,000 miles on it with no problems other than one exhaust pipe gasket.. He's also 80 years old.
smile.png

Very nice! Only ridden one GUzzi myself. Older LeMans 1100 traded in at the shop I work for many, mnay years ago. I'd have to say I enjoyed it yet was concerned about the severly limited dealer network where I live. Now that's a different story. Dealership opened up less than 1 mile from my house. I may just have to wander over and look around.

Enjoy it and post a longer term review when you get the chance.

So... we gotta worry about mice in our air cleaners....

I watch a little too much Nat Geo...

Do you have to worry about funnel web spiders?

Not so much about the Toowoomba Funnel Web's, but there's bloody heaps of Red Backs in the garage.

Very similar to your Black Widow in the USA

Just did the first valve adjust, real tappets yahooooo !

Less than an hour.

Thanks Mihalis, still love Bluey, my 07.

And Surley, still might get over to WA before the next op, so watch out the crew WA !