My HondaHa CBR Super Sport Tourer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Morrow

Reaction score
I had no idea where to post this so here it is. ( Mod's move it if you like.)

At 65 I'm starting to feel the weight of my FJR. I've been riding my 2003 and 2016 for 15 years now and, while it was much lighter than my old Concours, I'm starting to feel its weight a bit more. So, as a bit of a challenge, I took bought a bike that few tour on and decided to see if I could make it at least somewhat tour-able. Yes, there are far better choices out there but what would be the challenge in that. A friend, now 75, has been touring on his GSXR1000 for many years. I did some reading and by most accounts, the better bike of that genre for touring would be a Honda CBR1000RR. I found a 2015 ABS model, with about 3,000 miles on it for a winter bargain price. The short version of the long story is that I designed and fabricated a mount for my FJR bags. Colour clashes notwithstanding, they are a great match for the bike IMHO. If any of us can get out on the road this year, I'll report back when I put some miles on it. ( More ergonomic seat, bars, pegs to follow.)

cbr-hardbags-3603.JPG

cbr-hardbags-3799.JPG

Looks real good.  Does that top plate accommodate a trunk too?  How's the riding position after a while?  And wind?
I have carried a soft tail bag on my FJR's for years and that sits quite nicely on the platform. I have figured out how to fasten it down yet though. It could easily accommodate a hard trunk. I had an auxiliary tank on my 2003 FJR because I used to do a lot of Iron Butt rides and really long days. I really like the range and ability to skip crappy gas stations. I may add a 2 gallon aux tank on the back but camouflage it inside a small hard case if I can do it without being too ugly.

I haven't ridden the bike much due to the season and C19 but it's definitely has sport bike ergonomics. I plan to install bars about 2" taller. There are several to choose from.

The wind was ok when I rode it. I almost always ride the FJR with the windshield down and this isn't terribly different. I have put a Zero Gravity sport touring windscreen on it but haven't ridden with it yet.

I Like the idea, tell us more Dave.
I wasn't expecting to find too many people who would have any interest in the project; most CBR owners are sport bike purists. But there have been a couple who want to build this. So, I started a write up today with a bunch more pictures and some descriptions. When I'm done, I'll find a way to include the plans in PDF and the CAD files.

I see that you live in Blaine. If that's Blaine, WA, you are just across the border from me and I get down there quite regularly in more normal times. If you want to have a look, we'll arrange something when the border opens.

Here's a link:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lhcz0X7GIgUPE6vOinluIlCCsCX_hPXvIY17p8InyUg/edit

This is ridiculous, who would want to ride a 440 lb bike with 175 hp, for long distances. LOL    [me! me!]

{I can say though, that looking at that seat and those bars and that windshield, gave me the heebie-jeebies.}

Dave unfortunately that is Blaine Minnesota, 

This is ridiculous, who would want to ride a 440 lb bike with 175 hp, for long distances. LOL    [me! me!]

{I can say though, that looking at that seat and those bars and that windshield, gave me the heebie-jeebies.}
That's why the stock seat and bars are being replaced. The windshield has already been replaced. On a similar note, I rode a KLR with a tiny bikini fairing / windshield and it did a surprisingly good job of deflecting wind blast at highway speeds. I will update you once the weather warms up and I get it out on the road for an extended ride. Please keep the heebie-jeebies in abeyance for the time being :)

Dave unfortunately that is Blaine Minnesota, 
As it turns out, I was supposed to be heading to Byron, Mn ( just west of Rochester ) in June to visit an elderly aunt and my cousins. I guess that's off the table now. Not sure which bike I'd be taking though.