My Nephew Has Been Bitten By The Bug...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6/24/17
Bumpsie for an update:

A week or two ago, my nephew texted me to say he's found his next bike. I was at YFO, so I had to wait to see it. The wait is no longer.

Jacob found this 919 Hornet on C/L for a steal. 16K miles, flawless. He came over early this morning, and we ran 150 miles through the back country to check it out. The bike is very nice and as you can tell, he REALLY likes the naked upright style of motorcycle. It's too hot to camp down here now, so in the Fall, I'm going to take him camping and see how he likes it.

IMG_4846_zpsvqj4cz5c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. Full gear and a dependable, large displacement in-line Honda! He can put a lot of miles on that before it's time to trade up. Grasshopper has done well in getting to this point. Good job, pants and great thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
It came with some engine guards and a flyscreen. BION, he took it off. He likes the wind. Now - he doesn't do 400 mile days like we do. If we go on an extended tour, he can put it back on.

I had to look up BION!!
rolleyes.gif

Moderate temperatures on a sunny day riding the back roads is the only time it nice to be without a windscreen. Hot, cold, wet, buggy, or blasting down the highway at 85 mph (i.e. 95% of the time) I want it out there.

Jacob had a small "oopsie" last week. The light turned green and with oncoming traffic in the way of his left hand turn, he creeped up just a little into the intersection. The lady behind him followed and tapped him from behind. Jacob just stood up on his left leg and the bike flopped over on it's right side. Jacob was not hurt, thankfully.

The other vehicle is insured and the bike will be fixed at the Honda dealership.

I used this as a learning opportunity for Jacob (and reminder for myself) to hold stop behind the white line until it's time to go.

That 919 is the real deal. If I remember correctly, they sold much better in Europe, but not so well in the U.S. My dentist had one and loved it. Mag reviews were solid.

Congrats.

Since this thread came up in another topic, I took 15 minutes to run through it and enjoy the memories.

Update:  4/14/21

Jacob's 919 Hornet was totaled by the insurance company from that little oopsie previously mentioned.  I talked with him about buying it back, salvage title, etc.  He decided to let it go.

A few months later, he bought an RC51.  Yeah - you read that right.  I rode it then - picture trying to hump a football through greased lightening.

Jacob LOVES that bike.  He also has a 250 Rebel that he commutes on and putt putts around town on.  But when he feels the need, the football gets the nod.

He's engaged to be married in February 2022.  Nice young lady, they are obviously smitten.  I'm told she's already hinting about "babies" - at 26 years old, I suppose nature calls when she calls.  I'm thinking about arranging a Fall 2021 "Bachelor Party Extravaganza" - maybe go to Arkansas for a 5 day weekend or something.  Jacob has a couple of close friends that he rides with - I know one of them, know him to be a good rider - rides a late model Sportster.  I dunno - maybe I offer to pay for the whole thing - just go the 4 of us and do some riding/camping.  We'll see....

This whole thing turned out exactly like I hoped it would.  Jacob is a VERY good rider:  experienced, capable, I'd ride with him anywhere.  And he loves it - I honestly think he will always have a bike.