My Ride coming up, Pics to follow

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cdogman

Bad Boy
Reaction score
OK Here is my route for anyone that cares and if anyone knows a better place I am all ears

Thursday, the 24th leave around noon (gotta make a appearance at work) and off to Torrey Utah - 243 Miles

Day1.jpg

Friday, Leave early, Take my time, 305 Miles, End up somewhere in Nevada, Brother has a spare house in Mesquite Hmmmmmm We will see. That might not be far enough.

Day2.jpg

Saturday Around Lake Mead, See Hoover Damm (SO has never done it) and then hit the slab and get off the flat stuff. 385 Miles

Day3.jpg

Sunday, I gotta be in Monterey early afternoon to see daughter. Stay in Monterey, hit the coast highway, go north. 350 Miles

Day4.jpg

Monday, 400 Miles along highway 1, going north. If I dont make it then that is fine. If I go further, that is fine too

Day5.jpg

Tuesday, Hook through the northern mtns, 350 Miles, No Slab, Twisty twisty roads

Day6.jpg

Wednsday, Twist my way to Tahoe, Easy day, 271 Miles, Mebbe win a jackpot or two....

Day7.jpg

Thursday, 294 Miles, Ride every twisty road I can find and end up close to Yellowstone

Day8.jpg

Friday, 411 Miles. Through Yosmite, Off to Highway 50 to cross Nevada, Bail to north if really hot and slab it, Prolly just gut it out, what the hell

Day9.jpg

Saturday, Homeward bound, take muscle relaxers and pain killers that I am sure I will need by then, and sleep till work on Monday

Day10.jpg

The entire route looks like this

Dayall.jpg

Any suggestions??

Last edited by a moderator:
From where you are in California, it might be easier to go through Yosemite than Yellowstone ;)

Is that road from Riverside to Redding 36? If not, it should be.

Can you give me a list of your Thursday rides South of Tahoe. I'll either hook up with you Wednesday, or Thursday

It is 299, 36 is just a bit further south.

Is 36 better?? I am all ears, I just picked them because they are really squiggly on the map.

I will take you Phone ## with me too. I am not really on a tight schedule, I have 300 waypoints in my GPS for this route so I can jump off anytime and pickup anywhere I want

So, 36 is better?

There now it is 36

Is that 9/35 you're taking out of Santa Cruz? Good deal! Be prepared, 1 between Monterey and Santa Cruz can suck, but once you get on 9 you're golden. You probably know this, but the intersection of 35 and 84 is the famous Alice's Restaurant. If you're there on a weekend, stop and hang out a bit. You might want to consider taking the freeway once 35 peters out on the north end. It cuts off a bit of the coast but you'll be seeing tons of it on the rest of the ride, and saves you some time. If you want to talk about details, PM me.

+1 on the 36 suggestion. 299 is fun but 36 is funner.

Jerry

Thanks!!!, Changes made. I will hope the slab (280) just north of Westridge and stay on till over the Golden Gate Bridge. Appreciated!!

Oh, and 36 is on route now, 299 is gone!!

It is 299, 36 is just a bit further south.
Is 36 better?? I am all ears, I just picked them because they are really squiggly on the map.

I will take you Phone ## with me too. I am not really on a tight schedule, I have 300 waypoints in my GPS for this route so I can jump off anytime and pickup anywhere I want

So, 36 is better?

There now it is 36
Oh, 36 is most definitely better than 299 and 299 is more heavily traveled in my limited experience. :good: If you have some extra time, hit 96 up further north. I did 96/299/36 combo last year on the way back from WFO. Sheer motorcycling bliss.

I will see how much energy I have up there. I would love to ride a loop. I am trying to hit as many landmarks and national parks as possible as well so my SO can see stuff. She has never done much traveling and I am trying to impress her with my worldy knowledge :p

I'd avoid 9 like the plague, to much traffic on the Santa Cruz side, to many Ricky Racer wannabe squids on the SJ side. Be aware also that neither 1, 101, or 280 go throu San Francisco. You'll be on city streets reguardless of wich road you take. There's signs posted to help you get through. Sounds like a wonderful trip, have fun! B)

Be aware also that neither 1, 101, or 280 go throu San Francisco. You'll be on city streets reguardless of wich road you take. There's signs posted to help you get through. Sounds like a wonderful trip, have fun! B)
Let us know when you'll be passing through the Bay Area. We can maybe hook up and help lead you through the City to the Golden Gate Bridge, and maybe ride along up north for awhile. It's tricky getting through San Francisco to say the least, and I don't know about you, but I have trouble reading road signs and avoiding left-turners all at the same time.

Jb

Be aware also that neither 1, 101, or 280 go throu San Francisco. You'll be on city streets reguardless of wich road you take. There's signs posted to help you get through. Sounds like a wonderful trip, have fun! B)

Huh? 1 and 101 do indeed go through SF, albeit on surface streets that are a PIA to navigate - even doing it Burleigh style!

Huh? 1 and 101 do indeed go through SF, albeit on surface streets that are a PIA to navigate - even doing it Burleigh style!
I was refering to none of them going thru as a traditional freeway would. It confuses the hell outta people when the superslab has stop lights :blink: :blink:

I'd avoid 9 like the plague, to much traffic on the Santa Cruz side, to many Ricky Racer wannabe squids on the SJ side.
No way :rolleyes: ..take 9 and 84, your coming in on a weekday and traffic will be light, the backside ( Santa Cruz side ) of 9 is a great run after Boulder Creek. Hwy 1 between SC and SF is mostly set back from the ocean so you won't miss much sightseeing there, or any real twisties in that section of 1 either.

I'd also suggest keep heading north on 101 after SF to Petaluma, then head west to 1. The section of 1 as you leave Mill Valley is the worst road surface on all of Hwy 1 in the state. Pothole patches, tons of tar snakes and pavement lifting makes for a hell of a bumpy ride. It's scenic and steep, and the land is slowly shifting there so there's always bumps through there. :unsure:

Day4.jpg

Look at your map and find hiway 58, it's a great ride.

58 to La Panza Road to 41 to Atascadero stay on 41 to Morro Bay then north on 1.

I'd also suggest keep heading north on 101 after SF to Petaluma, then head west to 1. The section of 1 as you leave Mill Valley is the worst road surface on all of Hwy 1 in the state. Pothole patches, tons of tar snakes and pavement lifting makes for a hell of a bumpy ride. It's scenic and steep, and the land is slowly shifting there so there's always bumps through there. :unsure:
Respectfully disagree. I've been through there twice in the past three weeks. The road between Mill Valley and Stinson Beach is freshly paved. Major repairs were completed last year to fix that constantly shifting land, so right now it's quite nice. Give it a few more years and it'll suck again, but for now it's sweet. That stretch is a roller coaster ride for sure, but in a good way.

I may indeed wanna hook up with you folks in SF..

PM Me yer ## and I will have it with me.... Through SF will be on Monday. I aint Skeered. I got Garmin ( and I used to live in San Jose, Alameda, Milpitas, Carmel, and on and on....... I was in SF last year on my wing, Garmin knows it well.

But hooking up to ride?.. I am all over it!