My ride to the Blue Ridge Parkway video

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edgeburner

Reaction score
I had some time to ride today so I took the FJR, hooked up my GoPro, and headed west towards the BRP from near Charlotte. I always take Hwy 80 North from Marion and hit the BRP just north of Mount Mitchell. Anyway - lots of snow and ice on the BRP and setions are still closed. It felt great to get out.
punk.gif

https://vimeo.com/60708047#

Nice...the snow on the road is sketchy, but I could feel the lean on the dry sections. Nice edit! Who's your rodent friend?

Color me jealous.....still socked in with snow, ice and cold in Minnesnowta.

Thanks for the vid! I love the section between Mount Mitchell & Grandfather Mountain with all the nice side roads. I've got to get back up there....after the snow is gone!

Nice...the snow on the road is sketchy, but I could feel the lean on the dry sections. Nice edit! Who's your rodent friend?
Overly dramatic Chipmunk! lol... I ripped that from Youtube and thought he expressed my surprise and alarm with the snow and ice perfectly. It cracks me up every time.

I can't wait for the BRP to be clear. Most of the closures are due to fallen tree limbs and sketchy slick spots. If had any sense I would have turned back but it seemed doable. lol... This is the first major ride into the mountains so far with my FJR. I am really loving everything about this bike and couldn't be happier with my choice.

Thanks all...
smile.png

Overly dramatic Chipmunk! lol... I ripped that from Youtube and thought he expressed my surprise and alarm with the snow and ice perfectly. It cracks me up every time.

I can't wait for the BRP to be clear. Most of the closures are due to fallen tree limbs and sketchy slick spots. If had any sense I would have turned back but it seemed doable. lol... This is the first major ride into the mountains so far with my FJR. I am really loving everything about this bike and couldn't be happier with my choice.

Thanks all...
smile.png
That windshield looks immaculate. You must have debugged it at every pit stop. That's what I do! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you got out nice video. I also got out but stayed low because of snow and ice in the shaded areas.

Brings back memories...No snow or ice when we where through there though. Me and my wife Amy started in Front Royal Virginia and took Sky Line Drive to the Blue Ridge Parkway and rode it all the way down to Asheville North Carolina. Beautiful ride, had a great time.

Good on you. I live near there but haven't bothered with the bike in the highlands since they snowed in. Been riding lower altitude stuff around Wilkesboro with a Mini Cooper. Send me a PM if you want to hook up some time.

Great video. Thanks for sharing. I want to get down to BRP soon. I hope I will make it this summer, but I can't be sure yet. I puckered in my chair just watching that snow and ice section, especially on the way back.

You needed the snow blower attachment!
motorcycleSnowBlower.gif

Thanks all...
smile.png
That windshield looks immaculate. You must have debugged it at every pit stop. That's what I do! :)
Thanks! Not too many bugs here yet! Plus this is basically a brand new bike - a left over 2011 demo I bought last month. When the bugs start getting thick I take them off with a warm wash cloth and use Plexus.

Good on you. I live near there but haven't bothered with the bike in the highlands since they snowed in. Been riding lower altitude stuff around Wilkesboro with a Mini Cooper. Send me a PM if you want to hook up some time.
Sounds good! I will.

Nice video, thanks for posting it.

My favorite time of the year to go mountain riding is in March or early April. With temps ranging from 40 to 60 degrees I usually have the roads all to myself. And there are usually no bugs out either. I'm heading that way very soon.

smile.png