My stator is dying

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwhite518

Reaction score
Fortunately I am carrying a spare, and have time to get it fixed.

Long story: I bought my 05 last September with 16K on it. The previous owner had installed an Electrosport. At first I thought that was good. Then after reading a bunch here, I realized it wasn't so good. I bought Eric Vallaincourt's used stator out of his old motor (stock stator) so I could have a spare on the rally. I also bought a gasket and threw it on the bike for the rally. Why didn't I just install it when I bought it? I dunno...theory about the ESport was, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Saturday, on the way to the rally, it was cold across Wyoming so I put on my heated jacket. When I got to the end of the ride in Cheyenne I was having problems with my Autocom so I started digging in to the farkle crap under the seat. That's when I noticed the headlight flickering. Hm...turned off the motor to stop the flickering. Tried to restart the motor and couldn't. Finally I looked at the Datel and saw 11 volts. It dropped to 10 or 9 when I hit the starter button. At first I thought something was wrong in the farkle wiring, since the Autocom was jacked up too. I got all the electronics ship-shape, saw the voltage rising as the bike was off, and decided to wait until morning to start it.

In the morning the bike started and I hit the road. All systems were fine, but I watched the Datel like a hawk. I saw the battery charge climb from the 12s into the low 13s...up and up, but very slowly. I run low-beam-only HIDs for my main headlights, so I was able to turn them completely off to help the battery charge. Finally after like 250 miles it seemed to have charged as much as it could. 13.9 with the lights off, 13.7 with the low beams on. Usually it runs 14.1 with the lights on...this ain't good. Very slow charging and not high enough. As I rode I thought about why my battery had discharged yesterday. I had originally thought there was some short circuit in my farkle wiring, but that didn't make sense. The wiring was fine. I realized it was probably the Electrosport starting to fry.

I called GZ, since he has some stator experience. He told me about how they build resistance going across connectors. My stator goes through a butt splice before it goes to a spade connector. That's three crimps between the end of the motor and the R/R. Then I called Hal, who told me how to measure the output. When I got to Des Moines I tore into it and made the measurements. I got between 40 and 45 volts on all three wires. Never the required 50 that Hal says the stocker develops. He wasn't sure what the Esport should measure, but presumably more than stock. Thereby confirming my theory. Stator starting to fry.

Fortunately I already have a service appt at the local Yam shop. They were just going to mount my new tires that have been sitting here in the garage for a month. Now they are installing a new stator. I am bringing them the necessary parts. I really, really hope that a) they don't fuck it up and B) they don't cause any new problems. Will ask if I can work alongside in the garage because my complex farkleization will make the job more complicated. Will also have them load test the battery just to make sure it's not part of the problem.

What am I missing?

Dang!

I'm on the end of a BBG and one hour sleep so not really clear, but I wonder if it's like Hal's deal recently on his Gen 2. Something about the rectifier having muck on it and slowly shorting. There's a thread he put on here somewhere (Kaitsdad) and he should have access to this thread area, but my Google skills are sucky this morning. Don't tell anybody. ;)

Should've bought American, dammit!! :rolleyes:

You'll be fine... this hiccup is all part of the IBR adventure! :lol:

Good on ya for carrying a spare..... bummer that this is happening now.

The #1 problem after this job is done by those unfamiliar with the machine: oil seepage around the stator cover due to failing to remove *every* *last* *trace* of the old gasket (from both the stator cover side, and the engine case side.)

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, she's in the shop overnight. Their most experienced mechanic is off today and we agreed he's the man for the job. Junior can do the wheels and tires today.

Thanks everyone for your help and encouragement. I hope this is all that happens during this trip!

Best wishes Jerry, crossing my fingers all will be fine.

From a Motel 6 outside Little Rock, listening to the thunder and rain :)

Terry

Hey Jerry I never got around to installing my stock stator back into the FJR. If you want, I can install it on my spare stator cover and bring it with me to Santa Ana as a worst case senerio for you if you like. Just let me know as I was hoping to get it installed soon.

Hey Jerry I never got around to installing my stock stator back into the FJR. If you want, I can install it on my spare stator cover and bring it with me to Santa Ana as a worst case senerio for you if you like. Just let me know as I was hoping to get it installed soon.
Hey Art, PM me your cell number and I'll be in touch ahead of SNA if I need it. Thanks for the offer.

PM Sent Jerry. I'll keep it off the bike until I hear back from you, or after the Santa Ana checkpoint.... which ever comes first. ;)

Damn dude........you shoulda punted that POS Electrosport!!!! How many did you need to see go bad?

Another lesson in here: Iffin you got a Datel, LOOK at it.

On a positive note, you done good by carrying the spare, and you got time to get it squared away. MUCH better now than in a couple days, or after the rally starts. At least you'll have some piece of mind after the repair.

OK! New stator installed! Everything good! Old stator fried! Photos of fried stator coming eventually. Leaving for SC tonight.

Ride safe! Sitting in the room in Spartanburg. Should have some pretty good Tstorms for your ride, but the start is after a cold front when high pressure moves in. :yahoo:

OK! New stator installed! Everything good! Old stator fried! Photos of fried stator coming eventually. Leaving for SC tonight.

Crispy critter.

625739861_p5kad-L.jpg

Glad you had the spare. Makes me dropping my polaroid camera in the parking lot (after the bikes were in quarantine at the start) seem minor.

Last edited by a moderator: