Nafo 2010 Home Safe Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Home safe and sound. It rained on me for two days and 880 miles but it couldn't erase the great time I had at NAFO. Thanks to the organizers for a great event! See you in Canada in 2012!!!
What about Canada in 2011?! Fredericton, New Brunswick - 3rd week of June. Stay tuned for the details :D

before Saturday as I enter trip recovery mode.
I must admit and declare that MEM and Scoops are as hot as I pictured them in my dreams. :yahoo:
Awwww shucks.... thanks, Mike :blush:

I regret not seeing you again after that initial meeting

Got home yesterday (Monday) after leaving Knoxville in rain. Originally left on Sunday because everyone had already left & weather looked crappy. Held up in a hotel in Chilhowee, VA that night trying to wait out rain. WRONG! On sunday I ran the last 376 miles of the trip about 85% in the rain. The worst was when I left Jay's house in VA Beach while dropping off his van. Rain was splashing up over my boots!

Had a nice time. Thanks to all who showed for coming & enjoying with all of the organizers... Jay (Violione), Bob (Intech), Sharon (Scoops) & me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gary (Toophast) and I took the slow way home. We went east of Knottsville into the Mtns and up through Shady valley and 421. Stayed the night in Bristol and went back to 421 and then to 58 east. I had trouble on 421 because I tried to change the channel on the XM with gloves through the stylish ziplock raincover. It got stuck on religous music and I was in fear of spontaneous combustion. The fog on 58 after Galax sucked bigtime, Gary decided not to go on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Got home @ 9pm. My Tourmaster pants also leaked?

"That was mine. They were still messing with me. It was just the head of a machine screw." He shoots, he scores!

(I think it was Mark Bottoms idea)
Thanks Cupcake!

12.5 hour slog home. Got in at 8:15 PM. Rain most of the way. the slab down sucked so bad I was determined not to do it again. Just took 81 north far enough to pick up 58 east. Took 58 all the way to S. Boston. Was interesting in many spots with rain, wet leaves, and 54 degree temperatures. Had a great time. It was great to meet some new folks and reconnect with friends. Glad that everyone had a good time.

Made it home tonight ! 1050 miles.... just slab :-( Bob, you got a nail in your front tire..... Peace out ! ;-P
One day.....you'll get yours....

It was great to see you again Jaxon!

Home safe on Tues for supper. 1069 miles for homeward leg.

I too don't enjoy riding through Toronto so much so that I'll come around the other side of the lake.

Most of the return trip was in the rain, plus add in a few hours riding in rain & thick PA fog. (they could use that to hide just about anything.)

Leaves are gorgeous in NY State. Temp on Tues had a high of 55f.

The roads and camaraderie from the NAFO were outstanding.

Thanks to all who attended and contributed to make it what it was, and especially to those that did the organising and planning and execution (Heidi, Sharon, Jay, Bob,, and any that I may have missed inadvertently)

Cheers, shakin

who got the NB mugs?)
Blind Squirrel just above your post got one

I was gonna hang it on my air horn, but I got nuthin' all night !!! :huh:
I got one as well. :D
that's right...Scott was sitting right next to me and the Squirrel next to him

I'm so confused...again...as usual...(eyes crossed) :ph34r:

<and my sig went all to hell...yeah, yeah, note to self...don't sweat the tiny small stuff :p >

Last edited by a moderator:
before Saturday as I enter trip recovery mode.
I must admit and declare that MEM and Scoops are as hot as I pictured them in my dreams. :yahoo:
Awwww shucks.... thanks, Mike :blush:

I regret not seeing you again after that initial meeting
well, dang...it's not like I stood outside your door trying to look under it

same with Scoops...we wanted to ride together, but I was in "most activity per day" mode both Fri and Sat

at the banquet, I missed stealing some of your food when you looked away...warped mind of mine and all

Joann and I pulled in at ~2PM today, just beating the big wave of heavy rain that was following us all day.

After taking 3 really pleasant days to get down there to Knoxville, riding all 2-lanes including Rt 219 through WV :yahoo: , we arrived on late afternoon on Friday . On Saturday we rode the Devil's Triangle loop, which was pretty nice, and took a wal;king tour of Knoxville before the group dinner. On Sunday we had intended on riding down around the Smokies, but when we looked at the weather on Sunday AM, we realized that this would have been a miserable ride, so we cut out late morning and headed up the slab to the North and somewhat west intro Kentucky, to avoid the heavy thunderstorm cells. That actually worked pretty well, and we made it up into western West Virginia before the heavy stuff started coming down. Holed up Sunday night in a Country Inn and Suites in Elkview (recommended). Yesterday (Monday) we slabbed from there to Owego, NY (just west of Binghamton) through continuous downpours and then this morning we knocked out the last few hundred miles through a light mist.

Thanks to all who were involved in the planning and execution: Violine, Scoops, LuvtoRide, Intech (and anyone else I failed to mention) Thank you so much for putting this together. I know it wasn't easy, especially with butt heads like me questioning your every step along the way. ;) Maybe next year will be your turn to return the favor. :p

I'll post up some pictures in that thread after I get them off my cameras.

anybody else ride through Chattanooga Sunday morning to mid day ???

could have been quite ugly and road construction had the interstate down to one or two lanes with mega truck traffic trying to get through

we got there as they opened it up from one to two lanes and only lost 20-30 minutes of time paddling along at 5mph :eek:

Just made it home after 3 days of exploring some of best twisties that Kentucky and Ohio have to offer! Remarkably I managed to dodge all of the rain except for about 1/2 hour of drizzle today between Meadville and Erie. Many thanks Violine, Scoops, LuvtoRide, Intech for making my first NAFO so enjoyable and memorable!

Just made it home after 3 days of exploring some of best twisties that Kentucky and Ohio have to offer! Remarkably I managed to dodge all of the rain except for about 1/2 hour of drizzle today between Meadville and Erie. Many thanks Violine, Scoops, LuvtoRide, Intech for making my first NAFO so enjoyable and memorable!
Hey Mike,

Great to see you again. Glad you had a nice adventure on the way home.

Just getting back... to the forum. Made it to Huntville, AL by early evening on Sunday taking the back roads. Only was 'sprinkled' on for the 1st half. Then picked up the kids and got back to Kansas City on late Monday.

Traci and I's first NAFO and had a great time. Took lots of pics and vids (Traci is the 'pillion of a million pics'). Met some fun and interesting people and look forward to the next event.

Thanks to the organizers for all their efforts and thanks to GOD for some of the best scenery around!

Definitely regret not meeting more of you folks... maybe next time...

Just getting back... to the forum. Made it to Huntville, AL by early evening on Sunday taking the back roads. Only was 'sprinkled' on for the 1st half. Then picked up the kids and got back to Kansas City on late Monday.

Traci and I's first NAFO and had a great time. Took lots of pics and vids (Traci is the 'pillion of a million pics'). Met some fun and interesting people and look forward to the next event.

Thanks to the organizers for all their efforts and thanks to GOD for some of the best scenery around!

Definitely regret not meeting more of you folks... maybe next time...
Great meeting you guys! Dunno where EOM '11 is gonna be, but keep an eye out for that one. Should be a good time.

who got the NB mugs?)
Blind Squirrel just above your post got one

I was gonna hang it on my air horn, but I got nuthin' all night !!! :huh:
I got one as well. :D
that's right...Scott was sitting right next to me and the Squirrel next to him

I'm so confused...again...as usual...(eyes crossed) :ph34r:

<and my sig went all to hell...yeah, yeah, note to self...don't sweat the tiny small stuff :p >
I didn't get one. It was the other Scott.

a little late posting this up but home safely.

Left Knoxville about 0830 on Sunday and was in rain within ten miles and rode in a gentle rain for a little over 300 miles and then it was a great day.

Spent Sunday evening in Jackson MS. after riding almost 500 miles.

Left Monday morning and came back through Natchez MS. and then SE down to Houston and home Monday at about 5 pm. with another 500 miles that day.

Total trip was 2300 miles and it was all good - yet another great trip on my Super Sport Touring bike.

Thanks again to the organizers, the folks I rode with while there and to the Knoxville area for the hospitality.

I posted in the wrong spot first so moving it to here now.

We left rather late compared to most, 8ish, just so the weather would move out and warm up a bit, and surprise it worked.

Well it took me the 3 days that I planed to make it back to Tulsa but I stayed dry all the way.. lucky me.

We detoured north through Kentucky, Illinois, and Missouri, and with a little Garmin help we found alot of nice small curvy roads.

I had a new set of tires on my bike when i left for Nafa and they still looked like new when we left Nafa but half way through Missouri when I checked my tires I got a nasty surprise.. My rear was bald on the sides. You have to love those Missouri roads. I had to tiptoe the rest of the way home. The whole trip was a blast. I hope everyone else made it back ok too.

We had fun meeting a lot of the Nafa attendies.

I'm late posting to the thread, but left Knoxville around 8ish... went about 1/2 a block, decided to put on my Frog Toggs, and turned around. Glad I did it, because they kept me warm and dry for the ride west up to about Nashville... Then it got clear for the rest of the ride to Little Rock (with a stop in Memphis for some food).

The ride from Little Rock to Friendswood was uneventful on Monday, and I got home in a bit over 7 hours that day.

I had a great time, rode a bunch of amazing asphalt, and got to meet a bunch of new people. Sorry all the westcoasters but 1 bailed on NAFO 2, but the organizers did a great job in my opinion!