NAFO 2016 Official Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LEO's.......Sheese

I have been in contact with the other winner, I'll let him post up if he wants too.
I'm sure you were the only ones at NAFO that exceeded 45.
I never exceed the speed limit of my FJR

S76 and I did get the blue light special on a back road in the high plains of Colorado on Sunday, but somehow we rode away without going to jail
innocent.gif

Wow....I am glad I keep it 10 under the limit pretty much everywhere I ride...when I am feeling a little adventurous I sometimes bump it up to 5 under.

Wow....I am glad I keep it 10 under the limit pretty much everywhere I ride...when I am feeling a little adventurous I sometimes bump it up to 5 under.
Ya know; Once upon a time. not to many months ago I was east bound out of Tucson in the car, and an FJR with Minnesota plates blasted past me.

Knowing he was better than 10 over 'cause I was 10 over.
grin.gif

Performance award #2

Route 50 is a two lane highway heading east. The posted speed is 55.

After 0.9 miles of two lanes the east bound lane becomes a two lanes with the right hand lane for slow traffic. After 1.6 miles after the 55 sign and 0.7 miles after the road becomes 2 lanes, the posted speed changes to 45. The sign is 500 ft from the start of the left hand curve easily obscured when overtaking slow traffic, of which there was that morning, campers, 5th wheelers and trucks with bed campers.

0.6 miles further on a right hand curve was the position of the Troopers tangential line of sight.

At the start of the first curve I changed down to 4th gear as the engine was starting to struggle, not smoothing 5th, with the grade the sound indicated that the rpm was in the 3500 range. This would be a road speed of 54 mph (+9) How the my speed was indicated as 76 to the trooper is incredible, in 4th gear the engine would have been relatively screaming and the lean angle would have been larger.

I have ridden this bike for 66000 miles so I know the speed from the gear and the engine vibration and sound.

This is the first time I have been stopped on a motorcycle in 48 years.

The trooper was very professional however he did express the opinion that "motorcycles are dangerous". Possible case of selective enforcement.

HOWEVER

The option to take 19 over, points and $205.50 fine and admit speeding was the lowest stress option. The potential of 90 days does give you a significant pucker.

Looking at how I dropped myself in it, what factors involved.

I rode out from Maryland in 2 days, and was probably more tired, not aware as I should have been.

I was following another FJR - false sense of security - may be I thought deep down he had more experience and knew where his towel was.

I was the front person of 4 FJR's - probably didn't want to be a pussy by being too slow (really dumb).

If I was doing what the trooper said he had on the radar then l was well outside my normal envelope. I did talk to a colleague about running some tests to check the validity of the radar. His response was that you can't fight a money making scheme, radar wins, you loose ever time. I still think it is bogus.

The FJR is a hell of a ride. Got to get some new tires now. I enjoyed meeting all you characters. I will see you again, but Colorado is off my list for a couple of years.

Peter

LEO's.......Sheese

I have been in contact with the other winner, I'll let him post up if he wants too.
I'm sure you were the only ones at NAFO that exceeded 45.

Sorry about the award.
sad.png
You are so correct Mr. Wheat. The rest of us obeyed all traffic laws at all times especially when riding with Petey.
punk.gif

Bradley, I'll buy you a lotto ticket next time we meet. :)

How the my speed was indicated as 76 to the trooper is incredible, in 4th gear the engine would have been relatively screaming and the lean angle would have been larger.
Peter
No offense to your obvious intelligence, Peter, and your years of experience riding, but 4th gear wouldn't be screaming on these bikes until about 100.
By your description, you obviously must not have ever looked down at your speed before passing the LEO. Sucks to have never seen the reduced speed limit to 45. We can all sympathize with your disdain of getting caught in another opportunistic speed trap. We've all done it at one time or another.

Bikes are, by nature, 90% more likely to fetch you a ticket than your everyday cage. If not; well then your just not having enough fun riding. (That's another way of saying 'immature'; of which I probably am, but I will continue to have fun).

Last edited by a moderator:
HOWEVER The option to take 19 over, points and $205.50 fine and admit speeding was the lowest stress option. The potential of 90 days does give you a significant pucker.
I have received a few (more than a few) performance awards in various states in that part of the country and never had any report back to my home state to award me any points on my licence.

My routine is to call the court clerk as soon as I get home and explain that I lived far away and would not be able to attend court but want to know what the judge normally does in cases like mine. I do tell them that I am willing to pay a reasonable fine but do not want a report to my home state in order to avoid points and insurance increases. They always come up with an acceptable answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Geezer,

That simply was not an option in our case. Court was MANDITORY for both of us. I too, feel that we were not at the speed stated, but I was not looking at the speedo. In hindsight, I wish I had asked to see the radar gun readout. As Peter stated, we were passing lots of "larger" slower traffic, and my focus was on that task. In my case, I was 2 up, and nowhere near my limit for having Michelle on the back for the given conditions. After we were pulled over, I saw a second trooper heading back down the hill to set up again. I have no doubt that this is a serious revenue generating section of highway for them. This section is three lanes (1 West bound and our lane, 2 East bound) gentle curves, no tree line at the road, visibility for miles (Except of course for Colorado State Troopers) and has no reason to be 45MPH. A little further East, as your going by the lake, it is 65MPH, less visibility as the curves are a little sharper and much more congestion due to lake traffic.

Ah well, for all the times I could have had the bike confiscated, $205 is a bargain.

As for Co reporting this to CA, it will be a wait and see.

If I'm not mistaken (and our forum's finest can correct me if I'm wrong), any ticket from any state is obviously against your DL number and goes into a Nat'l data base. Your insurance can simply run a check on your license number and find any tickets you have gotten, regardless of state or how the fine was resolved (unless it was completely exonerated). I know this for a fact, because State Farm ran mine randomly one year when I was coming up for renewal and saw a ticket I had in Iowa from 6 months earlier that was 15 over the limit. They raised my rates and told me it would take two years to come off.

The word you're looking for is reciprocity, and now most states have it. Used to be, lots of states didn't talk to each other well, but the internet and on-line connections has fixed most of that.

The fact that speeding is criminalizes above +20 in Colorado is disturbing on many levels. The die is cast so what ever hits the fan going forward l'll deal with it.

Since my performance award I have been very aware of the speed limits and the level of disregard by everyone. If you try to be close to the posted limit you are a hazard. The safest speed is the general traffic speed plus, it keeps the distracted drivers from taking you out, but, you become the rabbit.

Did you see the wreck in the North end of Montrose on Sunday morning. There was a car that hit a pole and was most the way though it. It was one of those single vehicle Darwin events. There were four speed traps after that over the next 10 miles, I though they we out to get me again or was it just normal paranoia.

The trip back across country was awesome. The Veskimo vest was well worth the investment. 10 pounds of ice every 4 to 5 hours. In the really stinking hot St Louis afternoon traffic I got a few strange looks from those who actually looked out, certifiable in a full suit. Generally 2 bags of ice per day.

Did you here about two elderly FJR riders having a beer. Long complative silences punctuated by knowledgable grunts, then Dave says "I'm going to divorce my wife."

"She's not spoken to me for two months"

More long silence, Jim takes a long pull on his brew. Then Jim states.

"Women like that are hard to find."

A question was posed to me today -do you drive, ride or wear a motorcycle?

I wear mine and become one in the moment.

Be good, if not be careful

The biggest problem I have with Nevada and Colorado is the fact that they lower the "speed limit" in the mountains to the lowest reasonable speed for the tightest corner in that section of roadway.

Therefore, if you're on a motorcycle, you nearly fall over from lack of speed in the sweepers just to maintain that speed limit in the tight corner.

At least in California, the transportation department is willing to spring for YELLOW speed suggestion signs in any corner that falls below the 55mph highway speed limit. This allows for a little more fun in the corners and makes 75 mph the forbidden 20 over impound my bike limit.

I've ridden in both Colorado and Nevada without seeing LEO's running speed traps, so it sounds like Colorado may be running a bit low on revenues. Hard to believe with all that Marijuana tax revenue coming in.

YMMV

Just to stay on topic, glad y'all had a great time on MOTORCYCLES in NAFO.
punk.gif

Just stumbled across this interesting little snip from July - it wasn't until Doug was finished and explained it that I understood what all this noise making was about...

Finally got my insurance renewals in the mail, and NO increase, NO ticket on the premium. That is NOT to say it made it to my driving record, and they failed to check this round.

Since we got married last month, we will be looking at Michelle joining my insurance or me moving to hers. I guess that will be the true test as to weather it showed up on my record

Finally got my insurance renewals in the mail, and NO increase, NO ticket on the premium. That is NOT to say it made it to my driving record, and they failed to check this round.
Since we got married last month, we will be looking at Michelle joining my insurance or me moving to hers. I guess that will be the true test as to weather it showed up on my record
This would not be a bad April fools joke would it? Just looking at the post date....