NAFO 2016 - Where?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2016? Holy flux capacitor, I missed 2015!
No, dufus... NAFO is so awesome it can only happen every other year.

Get with the program will ya!

bleh.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems most posting think it's just a matter of identifying a place they'd like to ride. The "Who" is FAR more important.

Matt
I'm gonna have to agree with Iggy on this one. We can wish all we want for it to be in the "ideal" spot, but until somebody steps up and wants to organize it, it's just daydreaming. I'm willing to help out.
First I am not volunteering. I was in the Navy once.. (Never Again Volunteer Yourself)

But maybe if it was put out there what would be expected/required of ones self/team, and a previous coordinator shared personal experience, some one might step up. It sounds like a big (HUGE) undertaking, and I would be willing to help, but have never hosted something like this and certainly do not have the first hand knowledge of what it takes. I am also a novice to this realm as I have yet to even attend one of these events. (We were all new once....) I am planning on attending the gathering in SD and the SWFOG next year.

And my worthless opinion would throw Utah in the mix as well. Cedar City is definitely big enough to handle a group that size (some one said about 80?) and have enough variety in eating establishments for different tastes and there is great riding within easy reach...

First I am not volunteering. I would be willing to help
A little self contradiction there...
rolleyes.gif

​Seriously, given the money people are willing to pay, the choice of venue is really pretty simple. If you choose an upscale hotel the commitment on the part of the organizer can be big as those hotels usually want a "contract". I was really lucky with NAFO2010 as we did not meet the room night metric. I could have been obligated to pay the balance, but the hotel was super accommodating.

One person does need to take the lead, but EOM this year was a good example of how a team can pull it off.

After doing three Reuben runs and a fourth on the way team work really helps. I've used family and locals so those visiting don't get stuck working when they are supposed to be having fun. Don't try to make it a for profit thing so those attending end up paying for the perks for others. The KISS system works well.

If it shows up anywhere I can get to, I'll be glad to help out.

rolleyes.gif
Yeah somewhat.... but I meant that I am not volunteering for the lead dog role. I would not know my arse from a hole in the ground!
weirdsmiley.gif
Did/do you have to pay for special event insurance on top of or to the hotel for the use of their facility for something like this, or just rent the facility? The crystal Inn in Cedar City does have a banquet hall that could hold up to 150 people...

After at least a dozen vacations to Utah, nothing beats Moab for a variety of day rides to Arches and Canyonlands Nat. Parks, Needles Overlooks, La Sal Mtn. Loop, and jeep rides into the Canyonlands. Its also close enough to the Colorado Nat. Monument, Ouray, Silverton, and Mesa Verde Nat. Park to make those day rides. I don't know about banquet facilities but would rather kick tires in a Moab parking lot than spend time in a large over priced banquet hall.

rolleyes.gif
Yeah somewhat.... but I meant that I am not volunteering for the lead dog role. I would not know my arse from a hole in the ground!
weirdsmiley.gif
Did/do you have to pay for special event insurance on top of or to the hotel for the use of their facility for something like this, or just rent the facility? The crystal Inn in Cedar City does have a banquet hall that could hold up to 150 people...
I know what you meant. Just having fun with it!
smile.png

No insurance, just room rental. We had a Friday meal, as well as Saturday banquet, and the hotel set it up outside by the pool. That worked out great and no room charge.

I agree with MCRIDER007. I could do without the banquets. Get back to basics on the reason for the meets. Would be interested to see what participation would be if just a location was picked and t-shirts were made up and that was it. Leave it up individuals to provide their own meals. Maybe get a room for a few hours for a meet and greet and swag giveaway.

Most of the meets I attend that are arranged by other forums don't have banquets, t-shirts, or swag. No attendance fees. We get together to talk trash in the parking lot and ride good roads. The only planning is finding a reasonably priced place that can hold us that is near food, and someone that scouts the roads and builds routes. Wasn't that the NERDs model?

Yes, that was the original NERDS idea, but it did morph into a sort of mini-EOM, with an informal (throw some cash in a jar) BBQ or the buffet dinner that was available in the hotel every night. And every year we did make tee shirts available completely optional. We also did a Treasure Hunt / mini-Rally one year that added to the complexity. We never collected a rally / registration fee though. It was all just pay as you go.

I'd have been just as happy if it was just set a weekend, block off some rooms, provide a few ride routes, and then just let people do their own things and enjoy themselves. If there is another NERDS event, that is probably what it would be.

Kinda sounds like the SEO Ramble, held every Spring...and always a great time.

Yeah, exactly.

And I think that is a really good format for the smaller local gatherings, but probably the one big exception should be NAFO. That only rolls around once every two years, the idea being that it will be a bigger hoopty doo, with all the bells and whistles, that people will want to ride to from far and wide to attend.

My point is that, when you are going to make the expense of 4 or more days just to get to the venue, the cost when you get there becomes less significant. OTOH, if the event is catering to the locals, then the expense is a more important consideration.

NERDS worked well because the hotel had a nice convenient dining room and the owners were very accommodating. All they asked was for us to sign up for meals in the morning so they could plan for the number of people expected. If other places are so easy to work with then it would be great.

Even though I already have a drawer full of FJR t-shirts, I like to get one at every rally I attend. Again, I'll use NERDS as an example and say that the optional t-shirt worked very well. EOM did the same thing this year, and maybe previous years, I can't remember that far back.
coolsmiley02.gif

I don't mind paying a rally fee. I'm sure there are expenses that need to be covered, and a rally fee sort of locks people in to attend once they sign up.

Personally, I could do without the door prizes (swag). It looks like a lot of work for the swagmeister. I do enjoy the one big gathering for a meal that usually happens at the 'banquet'. A banquet where everyone pays his own check is great, if the hotel will allow that.

Reactions: leo
I thought this years NAFO was great. Being that it is the big schabang (and Fred so politely reminded me about it as being every other year cuz it's so great
wink.png
, I think the banquet is needed!. I kinda think the swag fills time very well and adds to the fun, just go ask Andy's table if they had fun with it! So all this fluff n stuff separates this from the smaller events, maybe puts it on the Grand(er) scale so to speak that some have mentioned.

But... maybe make the T-shirts optional?. (and before Fred has to correct me and tell me that they weren't T-Shirts this year dumb ass!) lol. I'm with Geezer on this one... I like to collect a (some-kinda) shirt from these gatherings also, but this probably should be optional per/person basis. My NAFO bowling shirt will probably get the least amount of usage of any so far, but it still gives me remembrance
wink.png

Where's that Granite Lane Champion? I'm ready to take him down!
smile.png

20140920_184926_zps172924c1.jpg

I have to say that I like the shirt from this years NAFO...it ain't no bowling shirt. I'd call it more of a shop (dealer/mechanic) shirt. And it's got a little more class than the average t-shirt.

I have to say that I like the shirt from this years NAFO...it ain't no bowling shirt. I'd call it more of a shop (dealer/mechanic) shirt. And it's got a little more class than the average t-shirt.
To each his own I guess. The wording came from FB friends who saw the pic and said "OH, you guys have a bowling team?" and then the next comment from another person was "Yeah, I bet it's just another excuse to go drinking!" ... and my follow-up comment was "Like we need an excuse?".

The term will live on forever. They are actually mechanics shirts in reality.

[DPF Content]

We're all getting pretty old. Maybe we'll be on Beemers and Goldwings by 2016? Well, except for Petey.

[/DPF Content]

Status
Not open for further replies.