NAFO Day Trips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^^^^^ Ahem .... As before: Thanks, man, but no. Maybe next time.
no2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Not dangerous, just living... If there are any expert or very skilled off road riders would like to join me send me a pm. I will leave Montrose VERY early Wed morning. Over Black Bear, in to Teluride. Catch part of the COBDR, and work my way into Utah.
From the small town of Slick Rock I will ride into the back side of The 3 Step Hideaway on the south side of the LaSal mountain range.

I will stay there Wed night, after breakfast will head north into the LaSal range and go north.

I will end up just south of I 70, will find a place to stay, of work my way back to Montrose.

I will be riding my KTM 690 or my new 350 xcf-w. Will only have a tool belt and a back pack riding at a brisk pace to cover the miles needed.

Don't be wearing your wife's panty's on this one.. It could get ruff and technical in places. Also carry tire repair equipment, (tube, air), and be able to go 150 on a tank of fuel..

Who is in??

Smitty
I'm gonna be bringing my new-to-me 690 and want to ride some of those passes around Telluride, but truthfully am not likely to be expert enough to keep up with you. Maybe Bugnatr has the cajones?

Not dangerous, just living... If there are any expert or very skilled off road riders would like to join me send me a pm. I will leave Montrose VERY early Wed morning. Over Black Bear, in to Teluride. Catch part of the COBDR, and work my way into Utah.From the small town of Slick Rock I will ride into the back side of The 3 Step Hideaway on the south side of the LaSal mountain range.

I will stay there Wed night, after breakfast will head north into the LaSal range and go north.

I will end up just south of I 70, will find a place to stay, of work my way back to Montrose.

I will be riding my KTM 690 or my new 350 xcf-w. Will only have a tool belt and a back pack riding at a brisk pace to cover the miles needed.

Don't be wearing your wife's panty's on this one.. It could get ruff and technical in places. Also carry tire repair equipment, (tube, air), and be able to go 150 on a tank of fuel..

Who is in??

Smitty
I'm gonna be bringing my new-to-me 690 and want to ride some of those passes around Telluride, but truthfully am not likely to be expert enough to keep up with you. Maybe Bugnatr has the cajones?
I plan on several days around Ouray. There is tons of Jeep trails, just great riding to Teluride, Lake City, all the way to Silverton. Be happy to ride those with you..

Good riding out there..

Smitty

Not dangerous, just living... If there are any expert or very skilled off road riders would like to join me send me a pm. I will leave Montrose VERY early Wed morning. Over Black Bear, in to Teluride. Catch part of the COBDR, and work my way into Utah.
From the small town of Slick Rock I will ride into the back side of The 3 Step Hideaway on the south side of the LaSal mountain range.

Who is in??

Smitty
On a KLR ? Bawahahaha.... not going to happen however I would love to ride the easier jeep/ forest roads if you are willing to show us the way Smitty. Looks like I'll be there Monday or Tuesday to ride the dirt a few days before ripping up the street on my 990 Supermoto. With any luck I may be able to keep Petey in sight.

Uncle Hud posted: <snip, snip> There are other Colorado roads listed on dangerousroads.org, and I'll do a little research to see if a few can be stitched together into a day trip.
The only other "dangerous roads" in our quadrant of Colorado are the Royal Gorge Bridge (no longer open to motor vehicles) and Skyline Drive, a one-way street in Canon City that's 3.5 hours from Montrose. Street View here.

It may be interesting enough to hit on the way home, but certainly not enough draw for a 7-hour round trip with all the other juicy options already scoped out.

I did some math for distances for some of my favorites, from Montrose.

Black Canyon loop 133 miles
Grand Mesa/Debeque lollipop 188 miles
Gateway loop 232 miles
Million dollar highway loop 275 miles
Mclure Pass/Independence Pass/Monarch Pass 351 miles

Good roads and fantastic scenery, see you soon.

"I wanted to ride out to and up Pike's Peak, which I never have done. But that makes for one verrry long day! We'll see."

Yep, am going to squeeze in Pike's Peak on Wednesday morning on the way out or Sunday on my return. But first I have to negotiate CFR and Red Lodge Rondevious before i start thinking about that.

<p>I will be riding Pikes Peak the weekend before with family, looking forward to it!</p>

Pikes Peak is an incredible ride but some folks can find it very intimidating. Within a few miles of the top there are many areas with no guard rails and steep drops of 100 to 200 feet just beyond the white line/pavement. It did not bother me too much but a friend (and seasoned motorcyclist) had to stop and collect himself when we were about 2 miles from the top. The ride from Durango to Montrose on 550 was like that as well (no guard rails and big drop offs).

Colorado is an amazing state to ride through.

Route 4 .... Mesa Verde is an amazing place! Those of you that have not experienced that should think about doing that ride. I will likely join the Route 4 group ... 325 miles, Montrose to Durango to Mesa Verde NP to Rico to Montrose: https://binged.it/24NY5z4

More fun than a guy should have!

The Gateway loop is really nice with about 30 miles in a redstone canyon with endless sweepers marked 35-45mph. At the correct speed (not the posted shit), this is heaven.

North rim of the black canyon is a bit more technical with more traffic but super scenic.

Grand Mesa is good with the two legs near I-70 super fun canyon stuff.

Doing the passes, well that's great too but these can be crowded with the slowest vehicles on the road, RVs and Harleys.

Temps into mid and upper 90s are totally comfortable for riding here, super dry.

Will be running the Eisenhower Tunnel headed to Montrose. (Engineer geek.) Does I-70 have frequent rockslides in summer?

Will be running the Eisenhower Tunnel headed to Montrose. (Engineer geek.) Does I-70 have frequent rockslides in summer?
Not that I can recall but look out for deer in and around the Glenwood Canyon stretch... fabulous highway riding but there's limited escape routes for those critters, especially near the tunnels.

If you have enough time, do a loop over Loveland pass then back on I70. Eisenhower Tunnel replaced that part of US 6 but it's a great sight to see (unless you've already been there, done that).

Latest posts