NAFO Day Trips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mark - I'll tell Officer Fenwick hello if I see him down near Durango:bye:
If you want to be sure to see him, make sure you do what we did in 2008.
wink.png

Well this could suck. From the CODOT website:

ROAD CONSTRUCTION
alert_roadwork_severe_20x20.png

N

US 550 Northbound / Southbound 13 miles south of Ouray (Milemarker 79.1-79.4)(through August 2016)
24 Hours- SU-SA There will be one lane alternating traffic with flaggers for crib wall repair; 25-30 minute delays can be expected between 8a-6p Mo-Sa;. No OS/OW allowed on US Hwy 550 Red Mountain Pass. Project Info: 970-209-3332.

Burns1

"Well this could suck. From the CODOT website:"

"ROAD CONSTRUCTION"

"There will be one lane alternating traffic with flaggers for crib wall repair; 25-30 minute delays can be expected between 8a-6p Mo-Sa"

Don't wreck my day!

Last edited by a moderator:
The work on 550 just south of Ouray was going on last year also. I arrived at Ouray from the north and checked into a motel. Someone told me the waits that day at the construction spot was over an hour. The next day I arrived at the end of a line of traffic just as it was being waved forward for its turn to pass the construction spot. I got lucky.

That would be tough on that portion of 550 where the lanes are narrow without shoulders and sheer dropoffs with the traffic being allowed to move from the opposite direction in the other lane.

We just had a guy post up on AZBeemers that rode the 550 yesterday. Said it was a nightmare. Down to one gravel lane at the construction site and a loooooooooong wait to get through although he didn't specify how long looooooooong was. I had plans to go through there twice on different loop rides. I will be revisiting my route planning. I'll probably still do it once, on my 149 Creede loop.

We just had a guy post up on AZBeemers that rode the 550 yesterday. Said it was a nightmare. Down to one gravel lane at the construction site and a loooooooooong wait to get through although he didn't specify how long looooooooong was. I had plans to go through there twice on different loop rides. I will be revisiting my route planning. I'll probably still do it once, on my 149 Creede loop.
NAFO is almost six weeks away. Lets not get in the panic mode yet.
smile.png

NAFO is almost six weeks away. Lets not get in the panic mode yet.
smile.png
GRAVEL!! OMG!!! You need a guy on a Super Tenere to ride thru and let you know if you can make it.
uhoh.gif

Wait-- I can't do it this time. I traded the Tenere for the FJR.

YOU know who I'm talking about.
not_i.gif

That route is a shit show, even without construction. The RV/Harley traffic is super heavy so this road so just do one of the many other, better routes. Gateway and the North Rim are far better rides. If you were to do Red Mountain, do it early as a clockwise loop as the majority of the traffic comes from Durango and at that time, they are heading out of town.

That route is a shit show, even without construction. The RV/Harley traffic is super heavy so this road so just do one of the many other, better routes. Gateway and the North Rim are far better rides. If you were to do Red Mountain, do it early as a clockwise loop as the majority of the traffic comes from Durango and at that time, they are heading out of town.
Hi John.

I don't think I'll do 550 again this year. I did the Gateway loop last year and also Wolf Creek Pass and up 114 to get to Gunnison and also tried Monarch Pass so I want to try something new this year. Thinking about 149 and 92 plus 133. If there is time left I'll do Gateway again. Anything better I might be missing? (Not interested in goat trails. :) )

Not panicking about any road construction until a few days prior. "August 2016" is the weekend when our party starts. With the usual financial incentives, that road contractor will be interested in finishing at least a week early.

Fingers crossed, however, as a prudent measure.

Well this could suck. From the CODOT website:

ROAD CONSTRUCTION
alert_roadwork_severe_20x20.png

N

US 550 Northbound / Southbound 13 miles south of Ouray (Milemarker 79.1-79.4)(through August 2016)
24 Hours- SU-SA There will be one lane alternating traffic with flaggers for crib wall repair; 25-30 minute delays can be expected between 8a-6p Mo-Sa;. No OS/OW allowed on US Hwy 550 Red Mountain Pass. Project Info: 970-209-3332.

Burns1
If traveling north bound, just hang a right on the gravel road right where the construction begins. All will be good!!

I am sure my buddy Petey will join me...

Smitty

image_zpsuvnqtjbf.jpg

But it gets better....

image_zpseank06dq.jpg