NAFO - Get Home Safe peeps!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great rally !!! Was fun meeting the legends of the forum :) I almost made it home today(Colorado Springs), but 2 miles from home my dogbones(rear arm suspension) broke, again :( AMA roadside assistance got me a tow truck....3 hours later !!! Parts are ordered, but I will most likely be without my ride for a week :( Thanks again for a great rally, AJ, Marty, Wayne and whoever else put on this shindig.

Taking my time and having a blast. Finally got up Mt. Evans today--long story, which I'll tell and illustrate with some pics when I get home. I'll start that way tomorrow, working my way around all rain and heat, if possible.

Agreeing with all previous thanks and kudos re this meet. Best one EVAH! Great group. (Us, I mean. ALL of us.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow what a ride! I couldn't bring myself to leave Colorado Sunday so i looked for every twisty road I could find heading NE. I headed west on 50, then North on 92 /133 to Glenwood Springs. The map showed some scenic gravel roads along the Colorado river so I went Northeast on 70 miles of gravel from Dotsero to Kremlling. From there I continued on taking 40 and 34 through Rocky Mountain National Park ending the first day in Cheyenne WY. That left me with a big second day ride of 850 miles via Spearfish for one last twisty rip up Spearfish Canyon on brand new asphalt. I swung through Sturgis to see how the preparations where coming and then ripped across SD. About 250 miles from home I realized I was bottoming out my suspension for no reason at all. It appears that my rear shock gave out on me and I was riding bottomed out arriving in Abercrombie after midnight with the Tenere and myself totally spent.

Rode hard, put away dirty, wet and broke down with a huge, tired smile on my face!

Got home safe and sound last night after riding in 107 deg for about 10 miles then it went down to 102 and still in the 90's (9pm) when I got home.

Got stopped (only a warning) for going 8 over in a 70, went 7-8 over all day long past several troopers without getting in trouble.

Had a great time, thanks to the guys that made it happen.

Got home safe and sound last night after riding in 107 deg for about 10 miles then it went down to 102 and still in the 90's (9pm) when I got home.Got stopped (only a warning) for going 8 over in a 70, went 7-8 over all day long past several troopers without getting in trouble.

That's what we were doing 7-8 over and passed a KHP Trooper in Dodge City at 72mph in a 65pmh zone. No problems there. Glad you didn't get a performance award for such a small feat. It was a hot SOB coming home Petey.

Had a ball riding 141 with Bob, Marty. Lisa, Scott and Petey on Sunday. Good thing we didn't see any troupers for most of the ride, 8 over would have been the least of our worries
rolleyes.gif

Hauled the bikes in the trailer all the way home Monday, 908 miles in one day. A bit tuckered out by the time I made it home.

Colorado exceeded my expectations with both the dirt and street riding plus the NAFO venue was perfect! So much fun reconnecting with old friends plus making new ones. A most excellent adventure indeed!.

I finally got home late on Sunday after a cannonball run from Montrose to Pleasanton CA which logged it at 1034 miles. Sitting in an air-conditioned truck cab is a lot easier than being on the bike, and having a cavernous 34 gallon tank means long hauls between fuel stops!

Thanks to the organizers for putting it all together, and to John (FJRPilot), Doug (Bugnatr) and Dave (Highlander) for putting up with me for several days.

Got home safe and sound last night after riding in 107 deg for about 10 miles then it went down to 102 and still in the 90's (9pm) when I got home.Got stopped (only a warning) for going 8 over in a 70, went 7-8 over all day long past several troopers without getting in trouble.

Did he at least let you sit in the AC while he was slapping your hands?

Got home safe and sound last night after riding in 107 deg for about 10 miles then it went down to 102 and still in the 90's (9pm) when I got home.

Got stopped (only a warning) for going 8 over in a 70, went 7-8 over all day long past several troopers without getting in trouble.

Did he at least let you sit in the AC while he was slapping your hands?
He did invite me to do so, but I declined....I didn't want to be lectured how dangerous it is to speed...(8 miles over the limit)
ok.gif

Fantastic week of riding and got back to Atlanta last night. Was really nice to finally put some faces with the names!! Learned lots too! Didn't know FJR bags would bolt right onto an FJ-09 or that the worlds brightest headlights are on Sac Mike's FJR (I still see light spots when I close my eyes 3 days later). Thanks esp goes out to Doug & Russ for taking us on quite a few fantastic rides! I'll post some pictures (later) of some of the rides we took.

We're back in CC after blowing a trailer tire on the Loneliest Road in America, middle of BFE on 50. NO cell service and a 2 hour AAA adventure made it all OK again. Had a great dinner with Tyler and the Bluestreaks.

The Bluestreaks' left our place this AM and should be home by now.

Thanks to the organizers of the rally, and it was great seeing all the great people we met again and the new ones we just met.

I'm home. Wow. What a trip! 7,080 miles from driveway to driveway. It was so great to meet new faces, and see plenty of old ones! Wait, I mean.... eh, what the heck. Thanks to the organizers who were there in person, and who were there in spirit. See y'all at the next shindig!