NAFO - Trip Plans

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not concrete yet, but to bag a couple more States while heading out west I may head from Cleveland, OH to Tulsa, and Albuquerque before heading North on 550 to Montrose.

Starting to plan my trip. I am going to fly my wife to Denver the Monday prior and I will pick her up at the airport after I stop and

see a friend in Monroe, LA. My wife & I will then ride to the North rim of the Grand Canyon for a day or two. Ride into Montrose

mid day Thursday. Utah will be our target area of riding while at NAFO. She will fly out after we ride Colorado a couple days, then I

would like to ride the "Heaven to Hell" IBA ride on my way home.

The way home might have another longer stop in Monroe.

Still working on the plans…

The North Rim (and the ride in) is simply fabulous!

Sitting out on one of the the back porches in rocking chairs at sunset with a good glass of wine IS THE BEST!

Last edited by a moderator:
971013_186541888168726_1051919408_n.jpg

Starting to plan my trip. I am going to fly my wife to Denver the Monday prior and I will pick her up at the airport after I stop andsee a friend in Monroe, LA. My wife & I will then ride to the North rim of the Grand Canyon for a day or two. Ride into Montrose

mid day Thursday. Utah will be our target area of riding while at NAFO. She will fly out after we ride Colorado a couple days, then I

would like to ride the "Heaven to Hell" IBA ride on my way home.

The way home might have another longer stop in Monroe.

Still working on the plans…
Loved the North Rim. From the Grand Canyon Lodge, be sure to take the 15-mile or so (Great MC road, too) ride up to the overlook above Cape Royal. Hope to get back there sometime.

Sitting out on one of the the back porches in rocking chairs at sunset with a good glass of wine IS THE BEST!
In July? JSNS!
I was going to chime in with the altitude thing, but Mr. Miller beat me to it. A thousand feet higher than the South Rim.

@ Niehart--what a fantastic shot!!

In July? JSNS!
We did the North Rim in late June and late July and both visits were perfect temperature-wise ... low to mid 80's IIRC. I do remember riding out of the North Rim area and the temps rose dramatically to over 100F as we descended into the Vermilion Cliffs. Another amazing scenic spot that day: Moki Dugway Hwy 261.

OK, sunset weather reports look good. I agree you could comfortably sit outside and sip a glass of wine, but.....you have to get there first and it will be hot hot hot on the way there

Last year my boy and I went. It was 34 degrees in the morning as the sun was coming up. The day before in Utah it was 112. We sat on the deck at the North Rim as the sun came up and sipped A&W Diet Cream Soda. It would have been perfect to ride in about 9am to the North Rim.

All that talk about too hot is poppycock.

My wife and I took a 2 week trip in July2013. Hit Colorado, Moab, Bryce, Zion, North Rim, Mesa Verde, Ouray, etc...the only place unbearably hot was Zion. Otherwise, it was rise early and ride or hike...nap or pool in the middle of the day, then ride or hike in the evening. North Rim was awesome without AC...needed extra blankets at night even.

Niehart, outstanding photo!

Only 2 weeks to take off. Trial fit with the Vstrom I bought a few weeks ago, and the KTM...

Smitty

image_zps1nx1ouda.jpg

image_zpsrwwiar55.jpg

My wife and I took a 2 week trip in July2013. Hit Colorado, Moab, Bryce, Zion, North Rim, Mesa Verde, Ouray, etc...the only place unbearably hot was Zion. ... North Rim was awesome ...
We did a similar trip in 2009. Flew into SLC and rented Harleys for 10 days ... Capitol Reef State Park, Burr Trail, Escalante, Bryce, Zion, Horseshoe Bend, North Rim GC, Moki Dugway, Monument Valley, Moab, Arches, Canyon Lands, Dinosaur NP, Flaming Gorge NP, then ended up back in Park City the night before turning in the Harley rentals and damn near got arrested for having a bit too much fun. We actually had the bar tender (smoking little hottie) and the general manager at The Goldener Hirsch hotel doing shots with us. Good times!

Anyone that has not seen the great state of Utah <<and has the time after NAFO>> owes it to themselves to see this magnificent place!

Found this: https://www.cotrip.org/map.htm#/roadConditions (Yeah, Hud, like it was hidden or something.)
Toggle buttons on the left to satisfy most trip planners.
Today CDOT is reporting this:

"US 550 Northbound / Southbound Red Mountain (Milemarker 79.1-79.4)

SAN JUAN COUNTY - The Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) continues with the reconstruction project of crib walls on US 550 Red Mt. Pass. Work being performed includes rock excavation, crib (or retaining) wall reconstruction, mesh wall installation, culvert installation, paving and restriping. TRAVEL IMPACTS: Motorists traveling between Ouray and Silverton can continue to encounter limited single-lane, alternating traffic 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, controlled by flaggers or portable traffic signals. Work hours are normally 8 am to 6 pm Monday through Friday and 8 am to 5 pm on Saturday. During non-work hours, delays are approximately 6 minutes."

Makes me wonder what the delays are during working hours ....

Looks Like I'm heading out to Colorado early. I'm leaving Chicago Thursday, staying in Council Bluffs, then on to Black Hawk, CO. Friday, I'll be wandering around CO on Saturday, or just sitting in a hot tub, or both. Montrose on Sunday, my wife is flying in, yes, I'm actually married. We're gonna go play for two days and be back in Montrose on Wednesday.

punk.gif
bike.gif

Looks Like I'm heading out to Colorado early. I'm leaving Chicago Thursday, staying in Council Bluffs, then on to Black Hawk, CO. Friday, I'll be wandering around CO on Saturday, or just sitting in a hot tub, or both. Montrose on Sunday, my wife is flying in, yes, I'm actually married. We're gonna go play for two days and be back in Montrose on Wednesday.
punk.gif
bike.gif
See you and Michelle there. It will be great to see her again! I will be riding in with my hero, Petey, if I can keep up with him!
bike.gif