NAFO - Trip Plans

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anybody know more about those delays on 550/Million Dollar Hwy? Specifically, is this just in one spot and then smooth sailing, or is it one of those stop-every-two-miles kind of projects? This road has been on my list for a long time, so I'd hate to get there and find out I had to follow a pilot car the whole way. One stop to admire the view for (no more than) 20 minutes would be fine with me. Thanks

I been on millon dollar hwy twice with Duke, there were a few construction stops but wasn't bad, just shut your bike off & enjoy the view! Here's a somewhat surreal vid I made from our 2nd trip....

Does anybody know more about those delays on 550/Million Dollar Hwy? Specifically, is this just in one spot and then smooth sailing, or is it one of those stop-every-two-miles kind of projects? This road has been on my list for a long time, so I'd hate to get there and find out I had to follow a pilot car the whole way. One stop to admire the view for (no more than) 20 minutes would be fine with me. Thanks
Mike, it's just one stop for a half mile, single laner, according to CODOT. They may or may not be using a pilot car, but it's not multiple areas. I'm still going to go through at least once. The sacrifice in wait time is worth the scenery, believe me. Even if you have to wait the 20 minutes during daytime construction. "Smooth sailing", otherwise, is never a guarantee on that road, especially during peak summer tourist season. Traffic can get very heavy, which gives you time to slow down and enjoy the scenery. Just don't enjoy it too much and ride off a cliff with no guardrail.
smile.png
no.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to see Duke again Mark. Sorry he didn't get more face time in the vid.

Gary, thx for that 550 update. I figure it'll be a little like the Going To The Sun--you may have to stop, but there's always something amazing to look at.

SacramentoMike posted: Nice to see Duke again Mark. Sorry he didn't get more face time in the vid.
Gary, thx for that 550 update. I figure it'll be a little like the Going To The Sun--you may have to stop, but there's always something amazing to look at.
I've done the Million Dollar Highway once in daylight, in a car, and will not miss an opportunity to do it on my motorbike, construction be damned.

Just to document a few dozen PMs and emails ....

Tango Sierra and I will be leaving Denver early on Thursday the 28th (maybe, he's still checking with a buddy) headed to Buena Vista. We'll meet Tyler, gregory, and Mrs gregory there at 10:30 local time, and take the most convoluted route possible to Montrose.

I'm trying to release a little of my inner OCD and control freak: we're not taking the most direct route .... OMG, I almost had an anxiety attack just typing it !!!

Anyway, that's a party of 4 bikes. (heh, heh, heh; I said PARTY.) If you're interested, PM me. Last call.

(ps: Thanks, gregory, for maintaining the attendance list.)

Looking forward to riding with you Hud and no worries on the attendance list, easiest job of the rally!

You going to Join us John?

Looks Like I'm heading out to Colorado early. I'm leaving Chicago Thursday, staying in Council Bluffs, then on to Black Hawk, CO. Friday, I'll be wandering around CO on Saturday, or just sitting in a hot tub, or both. Montrose on Sunday, my wife is flying in, yes, I'm actually married. We're gonna go play for two days and be back in Montrose on Wednesday.
:punk: :bike:
You aren't married, yer jes sayin that. I hope you get a good stand-in to fool everybody.

Just to document a few dozen PMs and emails ....
Tango Sierra and I will be leaving Denver early on Thursday the 28th (maybe, he's still checking with a buddy) headed to Buena Vista. We'll meet Tyler, gregory, and Mrs gregory there at 10:30 local time, and take the most convoluted route possible to Montrose.

I'm trying to release a little of my inner OCD and control freak: we're not taking the most direct route .... OMG, I almost had an anxiety attack just typing it !!!

Anyway, that's a party of 4 bikes. (heh, heh, heh; I said PARTY.) If you're interested, PM me. Last call.

(ps: Thanks, gregory, for maintaining the attendance list.)
You have Tyler with you?
rolleyes.gif
Toss that OCD control out the window. Trust me, it won't work.... Lord knows I have tried
wink.png

You will however have a blast riding with her, Gregory and Michelle. Awesome peeps!!!!

Time to start thinking about NAFO now that CFR in Pembroke and Red Lodge Rendezvous are in the books. I have vacation from July 21 to August 2nd so I should be able to make a good ride out of it without racing out and back.
I crack myself up. Three weeks after this last post, and I still have no trip plan other than being booked at the Montrose Holiday Inn Express Wednesday through Sunday. It ain't easy being me.
stunned.gif
stunned.gif
stunned.gif

I've never owned one before, but the Butler Motorcycle Map for Colorado came in today via an Amazon drone. Well, a truck. Oh BOY, I'll be in Colorado a LONG time, 'cuz I don't know how I can pass up a single one of the roads featured on there! Damn, I'm really excited about this trip. Damn bike's been prepped and bags packed for the last week and it's out in the stable now, pawing the ground.

Abercrombie FJR posted: Three weeks after this last post, and I still have no trip plan other than being booked at the Montrose Holiday Inn Express Wednesday through Sunday. It ain't easy being me.
stunned.gif
stunned.gif
stunned.gif
Google can find you an efficient and direct route in milliseconds. Wait, that's not what you want, is it? You're right, I can't imagine being you.

Abercrombie FJR posted: Three weeks after this last post, and I still have no trip plan other than being booked at the Montrose Holiday Inn Express Wednesday through Sunday. It ain't easy being me.
stunned.gif
stunned.gif
stunned.gif
Google can find you an efficient and direct route in milliseconds. Wait, that's not what you want, is it? You're right, I can't imagine being you.
There's the "Avoid Highways" option in googley maps...

I've never owned one before, but the Butler Motorcycle Map for Colorado came in today via an Amazon drone. Well, a truck. Oh BOY, I'll be in Colorado a LONG time, 'cuz I don't know how I can pass up a single one of the roads featured on there! Damn, I'm really excited about this trip. Damn bike's been prepped and bags packed for the last week and it's out in the stable now, pawing the ground.
Got mine today as well . Adding another state to my Butler maps collection (seventh). Boxes 12, 16. 17, 18 & 19 jump right out at me. I had really good success with Butler maps on the Red Lodge ride - Utah, WY, MT, ID, NorCal and SoCal. I'm sure the CO map won't disappoint.

I got my Butler Colorado map Friday. I've had the Butler Ozarks map for two years and should have got the Colorado one when I went there last year and the Montana one this year. Great information for planning the routes I put in the GPS which I normally do from exploring with Google Maps.