Natchez Trace 1000

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natehawk750

Reaction score
Back in November I got bored and the thought of doing a small displacement SS1K popped in my head. I couldn't shake it as it was very intriguing to me. Then while out in my garage I looked over and had an AhHa moment. There before me sat my wife's 2007 XT225... perfect!So I have an available bike, now for a route. The challenging part of this sort of ride. I need an off interstate route that doesn't involve a lot of towns and traffic. A few days later I had it! The Natchez Trace Parkway is about 100 miles from me... slow going, light traffic, and no stops or major towns to go through.Ok is this nuts? Is it doable? Has anyone done it before?Low and behold I found a thread in the IBA forums on this exact topic and yes someone successfully completed this challenge back in September on none other than a 150cc scooter. I've been picking this fellows brains as he is an IBR finisher.So here we go memorial day weekend I'm setting off with a plan and would like to invite my friends to follow along. Spotwalla link to come.

Update: Spotwalla link.

https://new.spotwalla.com/trip/45f7-387c123-04fd/view

You are braver than me. I rode from Natchez to Starkville Ms a few years ago...just that little bit of the Trace made me crazy. 50mph speed limits and boring scenery was too much for me.

You are braver than me. I rode from Natchez to Starkville Ms a few years ago...just that little bit of the Trace made me crazy. 50mph speed limits and boring scenery was too much for me.
I suppose you are correct but the morning I left Mississippi I had some bad hotel coffee creamer (on more reason why Mississippi isn't my favorite states) and a touch of food poisoning so 50 mph and no traffic was just what the doctor ordered.

It does beg of some buck and a quarter speed runs until the Leo shows up. :big_boss:

Mr. Nate. what mpg does the 225 get?  50,60 or more? Strap a gallon on it and..... I just looked up the fuel capacity!  OUCH,with a 2.3 gallon stock tank y'all better grab a couple jugs.

I think worth a shot.

I suppose you are correct but the morning I left Mississippi I had some bad hotel coffee creamer (on more reason why Mississippi isn't my favorite states) and a touch of food poisoning so 50 mph and no traffic was just what the doctor ordered.

It does beg of some buck and a quarter speed runs until the Leo shows up. :big_boss:

Mr. Nate. what mpg does the 225 get?  50,60 or more? Strap a gallon on it and..... I just looked up the fuel capacity!  OUCH,with a 2.3 gallon stock tank y'all better grab a couple jugs! 

Mr. Nate. what mpg does the 225 get?  50,60 or more? Strap a gallon on it and..... I just looked up the fuel capacity!  OUCH,with a 2.3 gallon stock tank y'all better grab a couple jugs.

I think worth a shot.
The bike is a 2007 yamaha xt225. Over the winter I've outfitted/ purpose built the bike just for this ride. I must say that most everything was built with things I've just collected or had laying around or have fabricated.

Mods include:

Windscreen/ fly screen from a zrx1200 that just happend to fit nicely.

Rox 2" bar risers

Hwy pegs fabricated from black gas pipe and footpegs from another project.

Custom formed seat (first time trying my hand at that... by no means professional yet quite functional)

Cargo milk crate and harborfreight ammo box contraption thats functional 

3" Pvc tool tube

4.1 gallon clark tank. I've gotten anywhere between 60 and 70 mpg with the stock tank. Generally switching to reserve around the 120-130mile range. The clark tank should easily give me a 200-250 mile range.

Soft tank panniers for hydration pack, snacks, and documentation paperwork and receipts.

I've also outfitted the bike with shinko 705 90/10 tires for this outing.

I've done a few 600 plus mile days with the bike with no issues.

Although I've never posted much about it here my LD background is far from extensive yet I'm not new to the game.

I have a documented saddle sore and a bun burner gold. I've also done more undocumented 1000 mile days and multi 1000miles days that I've lost count. I've ridden through 38 US states including Alaska and 7 Canadian provinces. 

I've ridden the Trace in it completion 3 times over the past few years and am well aware of the road and speed limits.

Needless to say I feel I'm well equipped mentally to take on thus challenge.

As far as I'm aware when I succeed I'll be the second  to document this accomplishment right be hind an IBR finisher, which I think is pretty cool.

I just added the spowalla link to the original post. I'll be starting out tomorrow night around 10-11pm. Hope you enjoy following along enjoy.

I'll try to get one up in the next day or so.
54cfcbeaa631d_-_choppers-10-xln.jpg