Need 12,000 mile service done

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe R

Reaction score
I need to get my 12,000 mile service done and need a good dealer or mechanic that can do it for a reasonable price. I live in Southern California. Van Nuys to be exact. Willing to travel a bit for good service and price. Thanks in advance for your help.

The best mechanic you are going to find to work on your bike is yourself. All the information is available on this forum and you will end up knowing your bike a lot better. I did my first one this summer, it took me most of the day but then I was taking my time. The only cash outlay was for the plugs, oil, filter, rear drive oil and crush washers. Gives you a warm feeling knowing everytlhing was done properly.

Mac :yahoo:

+1 on doing it yourself should you have the tools, a proper place to perform the work, and some mechanical inclination.

Apart from checking/adjusting the valves, most maintenance on the bike is not difficult. I was first intimidated by the FJR's complexity and initially thought that most work would have to be performed by a shop. Thanks to this board, the FJR community, and the purchase of a few additional tools, my 05 has not seen the dealer or another shop for any work other than a warranty item since I took it home 31k miles ago.

Steve

And just with what you'll save on that 12K service by doing it yourself, you can buy yourself a complete set of tools and a shop manual that will pay for itself over and over and over again.

I do fluids but the throttle body sync for $70 or $80 is money well spent for those of us that are a little less handy.

Motion Pro Sync Pro Carb tuner is pretty easy to use. I Paid $89. plus shipping.
Will my Morgan Carbtune work for the thottle body sync? Also, is a simple adjusting screw like on a regular carb or is this something more difficult?

Thanks,

Stewart

All my FJR info was from reading the wealth of information from this site/forum. Purchasing a service manual in addition to reading/looking at incredible detailed pics from FJRtech.com is all you need to do.

Rob R

I need to get my 12,000 mile service done and need a good dealer or mechanic that can do it for a reasonable price. I live in Southern California. Van Nuys to be exact. Willing to travel a bit for good service and price. Thanks in advance for your help.

So back to Joe R's original question...is there a good dealer or mechanic around this area?

I need my 26,000 mi service w/valve adj done and I don't want to do this one myself.

Thanks

Motion Pro Sync Pro Carb tuner is pretty easy to use. I Paid $89. plus shipping.
Will my Morgan Carbtune work for the thottle body sync? Also, is a simple adjusting screw like on a regular carb or is this something more difficult?

Thanks,
I used the carbtune to sync my TB's on the FJR. It was a couple years ago so I don't remember any tricks or problems with it, but I'm at 11.5k so I'll be pulling it out again soon. :)

The only thing I don't have that I don't have for car/bike maintenance is a way to bleed brakes. Maybe I'll finally spring for a brake bleeder kit/pump.