• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Need a front wheel in Canada!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikesgts1000

Reaction score
Front wheel needed! Hi, I'm after a front wheel for my 2007 FJR1300AE. I damaged mine slightly after exiting a waterlogged gas station in Saskatchewan a month back! Took a dive into a puddle on the driveway and dropped into a pothole about 18" deep, gunned the throttle to lift the front end but damage done! Cut the side wall of the tire so had to drive carefully to find a dealer to get a new tire, none to be found until I reached Brandon MB! Too late to get one purchased and installed so found a motel for the night. Get a new Michelin the next morning and set off for home, not too long into the ride had a vibration and stopped to find balance weights had thrown off! Spent the day riding with a vibration then tried to get weights to balance it out. With a bit of "Mcgivering" I glued on some fishing weights on and the next morning carried on to head for home with a much improved and reduced vibration. At home I removed my wheel put it on a pare of jack stands and after removing the make shift fishing weights and spinning the wheel noticed a mark where the wheel was damaged! It has a small kick outwards so believe I'll need a replacement.
the wheel number is: J 17M/CXMT3.50 (of cause has mounting holes for twin disc rotors.). I've checked in the PARTS WANTED section but nothing listed, a new one is around $1,500.00 but not available till almost the end of riding season! (Four months) so any suggestions on a temp fix / repair? I've balanced it as best as I can and it's not too bad now but can it be reworked or whatever, seems they can rework aluminum car wheels but can't find anyone that can do bike wheels!

There are quite a few FJR front wheels available on Ebay.
Any front wheel from 2004 -- 2022 will fit. Colors vary.
ABS wheels from 2004 -- 2007 have the toothed sensor ring already installed.
All wheels, ABS or not, from 2004 to present have the machined shoulder that will accept the toothed sensor ring.
Wheels from 2008 to present have the threaded lugs for mounting the smooth magnetic sensor ring, but also have the machined shoulder for the toothed sensor ring. Just pry the toothed sensor ring from the damaged wheel and press onto the machined shoulder of the new wheel after removing the magnetic sensor ring. I did it with hand tools at home.

Edit: The 2008 -- 2022 wheels are backward compatible for all years, 2001 -- 2022. Colors vary.
The 2001 -- 2007 wheels are NOT forward compatible for years 2008 -- 2022 due to the lack of threaded mounting lugs for the magnetic ABS sensor ring.

2nd Edit: The 2001 -- 2003 (US) wheels, before the ABS models, do not have the machined shoulder on the hub to accept the toothed ABS sensor ring. It's possible the 2004 -- 2005 non-ABS wheels may not have the shoulder machined on the hub.

3rd Edit:
2001 -- 2003 FJR Front Rotors are 298mm diameter. Unless the front forks have been changed to later model or some sort of caliper relocating bracket is used for larger diameter rotors.
2004 -- Present US model FJR Front Rotors are 320mm diameter.

2001 -- 2005 (Gen 1) US models have a different front axle from 2006 to present (Gen 2 / 3) front axles.

If the damaged wheel will hold air and can be balanced and the tire doesn't have too much runout, it is probably still useable in the meantime.

dan

Last edited:
All wheels, ABS or not, from 2004 to present have the machined shoulder that will accept the toothed sensor ring.
Wheels from 2008 to present have the threaded lugs for mounting the smooth magnetic sensor ring, but also have the machined shoulder for the toothed sensor ring. Just pry the toothed sensor ring from the damaged wheel and press onto the machined shoulder of the new wheel after removing the magnetic sensor ring. I did it with hand tools at home.

If the damaged wheel will hold air and can be balanced and the tire doesn't have too much runout, it is probably still useable in the meantime.

dan
That is really good information. I was aware that 2008+ were the same (except for colors).
Also that Gen I ABS ('04 and '05) and '06 and '07 were the same. I was not aware that the sensor ring from these could be transferred to a later wheel. relatively easily.

If you are getting a used wheel, check runout if you can and make sure bearings aren't notchy. If your wheel isn't too bad, you may be able to get it repaired but no idea where. Surely there must be someone in Southern Ontario...

Edit: Do you have a picture of the damage and do you have a dial gauge to see how far out it is?

Last edited:
Also if you care. 04 wheels are a lighter silver color than the 05-07 wheels. The one on the bench is an 04 front wheel and the one on the wall is an 07 rear. They are both clean and you can kind of see the color difference if you pay attention to the spokes. Good luck, front wheels are a pain to find. I just got the 04 last week off ebay after looking for quite a while.
IMG_20220731_190727_HDR.jpg

Edit: The 2008 -- 2022 wheels are backward compatible for all years, 2001 -- 2022. Colors vary.
The 2001 -- 2007 wheels are NOT forward compatible for years 2008 -- 2022 due to the lack of threaded mounting lugs for the magnetic ABS sensor ring.

2nd Edit: The 2001 -- 2003 (US) wheels, before the ABS models, do not have the machined shoulder on the hub to accept the toothed ABS sensor ring. It's possible the 2004 -- 2005 non-ABS wheels may not have the shoulder machined on the hub.

dan
Thanks for the info on the wheel types, I've re balanced the wheel and got the vibration down to an acceptable level but still has a slight vib, but useable for the short term till I find a replacement.

Thanks DanCooper for the info. As the others have stated good used front wheels are a bit of a pain to find. However, I have a good, straight front wheel off a 07 AE I'd be willing to sell. The rotors have been removed but the bearings are good and it is in nice cosmetic condition. If interested, shoot me a PM. You have got to be thankful you weren't seriously injured in that mishap. Good luck.

Front wheel needed! Hi, I'm after a front wheel for my 2007 FJR1300AE. I damaged mine slightly after exiting a waterlogged gas station in Saskatchewan a month back! Took a dive into a puddle on the driveway and dropped into a pothole about 18" deep, gunned the throttle to lift the front end but damage done! Cut the side wall of the tire so had to drive carefully to find a dealer to get a new tire, none to be found until I reached Brandon MB! Too late to get one purchased and installed so found a motel for the night. Get a new Michelin the next morning and set off for home, not too long into the ride had a vibration and stopped to find balance weights had thrown off! Spent the day riding with a vibration then tried to get weights to balance it out. With a bit of "Mcgivering" I glued on some fishing weights on and the next morning carried on to head for home with a much improved and reduced vibration. At home I removed my wheel put it on a pare of jack stands and after removing the make shift fishing weights and spinning the wheel noticed a mark where the wheel was damaged! It has a small kick outwards so believe I'll need a replacement.
the wheel number is: J 17M/CXMT3.50 (of cause has mounting holes for twin disc rotors.). I've checked in the PARTS WANTED section but nothing listed, a new one is around $1,500.00 but not available till almost the end of riding season! (Four months) so any suggestions on a temp fix / repair? I've balanced it as best as I can and it's not too bad now but can it be reworked or whatever, seems they can rework aluminum car wheels but can't find anyone that can do bike wheels!
A quick Google search found this: http://wheelsrepaircanada.com/. Can't hurt to give them a call.

3rd Edit:
2001 -- 2003 FJR Front Rotors are 298mm diameter. Unless the front forks have been changed to later model or some sort of caliper relocating bracket is used for larger diameter rotors.
2004 -- Present US model FJR Front Rotors are 320mm diameter.

2001 -- 2005 (Gen 1) US models have a different front axle from 2006 to present (Gen 2 / 3) front axles.

dan
Thanks Dan, that's a lot of good info to have when searching for a used wheel. Seems like it's going to be hard to find one.
Mike S.

Thanks Dan, that's a lot of good info to have when searching for a used wheel. Seems like it's going to be hard to find one.
Mike S.
Looks like it'll be pretty easy if you read a couple posts up;)

Thanks DanCooper for the info. As the others have stated good used front wheels are a bit of a pain to find. However, I have a good, straight front wheel off a 07 AE I'd be willing to sell. The rotors have been removed but the bearings are good and it is in nice cosmetic condition. If interested, shoot me a PM. You have got to be thankful you weren't seriously injured in that mishap. Good luck.

Hi Dan, let me know what you'd want for it, and if you can, a picture. It looks like you're in Colorado, I'll check on shipping just get an idea of that cost.
Mike S.

Hi Mike, I live in SoCal now( if you call this living) Temecula. $150.00 plus actual shipping cost. Please PM me so I have your email. Thanks; Dan

Thanks John, I've tried a few places but all I had found and phoned don't do motorcycle wheels! I'll give them a call.
I've been in touch with another member and went to see him this morning, he thought that maybe another attempt at balancing my do the trick. Just looking at it felt it just might be OK with a better balance as the "small kick" in the side of the rim may not create vibration if balanced correctly.

If you were happy with the balance of the new Michelin you got in Brandon before the weights flew off, then you should be happy with a good rebalance.

I had a damaged front rim long ago on my '08, but couldn't live with how it looked, so I had it straightened.

hi John D, thanks for your response to my posting. I'm finding the balancing that I did when I got home seems to be acceptable for running short trips so have backed off tryi to get a replacement for now. I went up to see Ray (he had replied to my posting and lived fairly close by) he has a possibility on a wheel but thought a rebalance again on a proper balance rig would may resolve the vibration. I'm going to get the wheel off and take it over for him to check it and rebalance the wheel then see how it goes.
Mike S.

It's common to repair alloy wheels. I wouldn't consider replacing a wheel with minor damage before I had a repair shop go over it. Generally quite affordable. Make some calls in your area and find a wheel repair shop.

A quick Google search found this: http://wheelsrepaircanada.com/. Can't hurt to give them a call.
Thanks MotoMike, I'll contacted a few rim repair places but all but one just do car and truck rims, no motorcycles! I've had help from a fellow on the site been over to his place and he has a balance set up better than what I used, so going back to see him when I get the wheel off again. If that doesn't work then he has a wheel from a FJ for sale. Did get a repair place in Toronto that can repair bike wheels so should have it covered one way or another.
Mike S.

Out of curiosity, how much are they quoting to do a repair? Given the cost of labor these days, hard to imagine that it would be cheaper than buying a used replacement for $150-$200