Need a route around Lake Michigan

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayshaw91

Reaction score
Starting in Grand Rapids, up to Mackenaw, over the bridge, through the UP, down through Wisconsin all the way to Chicago.

Would like scenic, if possible. Anyone got a route?

Starting in Grand Rapids, up to Mackenaw, over the bridge, through the UP, down through Wisconsin all the way to Chicago.
Would like scenic, if possible. Anyone got a route?

LOL, there isn't much 'scenic' about Michigan till you get to the top IMHO.

You can take a look at the route we took for our Lake Michigan Iron Butt a couple years ago. It worked out well.

The very best part of MI Is the upper north west part and the upper PI.

Linky here: Lake MI IronButt

If you're not Trying to do it in 24 then I hope you get off on less slab.

31 and 22 up north is pretty damn nice and beautiful.

Hope that helps.

If you're not intent on slabbing it, be sure to ride M119 - the Tunnel of Trees. It runs from Petosky up the west coast of Michigan. It's widely considered the best bicycle ride in Michigan. I just returned from pedaling it; there were plenty of motorcycles in evidence too. Legs Inn @ Cross Village is a good lunch stop - the word "funky" does not do it justice, the food is good (Polish influenced), and the view of Lake Michigan from the back patio is spectacular. It's 25 flat and desolate miles from the end of M-119 to Mackinaw City.

- JimY

Just got home from doing the "tunnel of trees" and 22 and both were great! Watch out for the price of motels ... can get very pricey! Stay at a place near Glen Arbor for $80 a night. I thought that was a little pricey until I heard about a B&B for $350 a night.

Yeah, the northwest corner of Michigan is a popular spot during the summer. Prices are correspondingly high. I paid about $130 for a motel in Glen Arbor two weeks ago - it was spotlessly clean and well run so didn't seem like a bad deal. Everything in TC is above $200 night! It's ridiculous, but had to stay there to fly in/out.

M22 is nice on a two wheeled vehicle for sure. I pedaled much of it during my trip. Out to the tip of the Lelenau peninsula definately qualifies as the long way 'round to circle the lakes.

- JimY