Need Help Finding a Momentary OFF Switch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, that relay will definitely "do the job". Overkill, one might argue. Even the lowly 10A version has over 9 amps of headroom, but at least you wouldn't have to worry about it burning out. ;)

What we want to accomplish (with any of these delay circuits or relays) is just to delay the turning on of Headlight Relay #1. So anything that will delay the current flow from the ECU to that relay's coil for about 10 seconds will work just fine. FWIW, my electronic delay circuit was on my bike for my vacation ride last week. 7 days of riding, probably about 7-8 power cycles per day with gas stops and rest stops, ~1800 miles of back road vibration including a little dirt riding. It never failed to fire up either of those HID headlights once. I'm ready to declare the circuit a complete success.

I tried to detail as much of my design and construction as possible in the above text and schematic diagram. Let me know if there is something else you need to know specifically and I'll be glad to answer. Are you looking for more information about the actual parts you want to use to build it? Or how it's installed into the bike? I think the only tricky part of building one of my circuits would be that you have to be able to solder. Other than that this is a piece of cake.

Could just be a hard starting lamp? Try switching thehard starting lamp to the other ballast and see if you still have the same problem with the same lamp. If so, a new lamp should solve the problem.

Could just be a hard starting lamp? Try switching thehard starting lamp to the other ballast and see if you still have the same problem with the same lamp. If so, a new lamp should solve the problem.

Mine did it with both lamps. It did seem to favor the right side, but both were problematic. I have been running the relay for about 6-7 months now with almost daily riding, and they have only failed to fire once. A restart of the bike fixed it that time and it hasnt done it since.

Yup, same here. No more problems with the FredCo Headlight Delay Circuit®

The reason we have a problem at all is because they didn't intend on the FJR having HID lights. Attempting to fire them immediately after starting the bike is the problem.

Last edited by a moderator: