Need help with tire wear

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the very edge of the tire tread area are little directional arrows molded in that show where you should be able to see the three wear indicators. Because I do not commute, and generally avoid riding the slab as much as possible, I tend to wear out my tires first at the red arrows. As you can see the tread in that area is more worn than anywhere else. You can also see that, although my peg feelers remain unscathed, I manage to get over onto the edges of the tires every now and then.
I have never yet worn out the center of a PR2 before erasing all tread in the area shown by red arrows, and that includes the one that is still on the '05 now after running lots of slab back and forth to Montana and Wyoming in 2014.

I still expect to get another 2000-2500 miles out of the above tire (to around 9k miles) if I do not replace it before that for the state inspection due at the end of this month. Guess what tire I will be putting back on there? For the price these things can be bought for ($140 shipped from Jake Wilson) you really cannot beat 'em with a big stick.

PS - I still think your tire looks fine.
Thanks Fred for the photos. The wear bars are even with the tread in the very middle but it builds as you go outward from the center. I'll keep an eye on it. I paid $165 for my rear Pirelli Angel GT A-Spec so not too far off from that.

I'm still considering a darkside transition but that will be after the NAFO event. Thanks again everyone for the help.

When on the slab, you can slalom back and forth in your lane. Helps scrub off your chicken strips.
cool.png

Actually, I have not ridden with that particular old man. NAFO in his back yard and he's not coming. What a wussy. Maybe I don't want to ride with him.

When on the slab, you can slalom back and forth in your lane. Helps scrub off your chicken strips.
cool.png
I actually started to do that in hopes I could get more wear from the tires
smile.png

Probably looks funny to the traffic, like I'm about to start a GP race warming up the tires. Other times I do it out of boredom...

Last edited by a moderator:
To get it leaned over far enough to do anything to the chicken strips within a single lane of highway would be quite a feat. Please get video next time you do that. ;)

To get it leaned over far enough to do anything to the chicken strips within a single lane of highway would be quite a feat. Please get video next time you do that.
wink.png
Next time I follow Skooter I'll try to get a video. I don't know how he has survived this long.

What a rear PR2 should look like near the end of its life. Could have put 200 or 300 miles more on it, but I was leaving for Arkansas. This tire had about 3,000 miles on it. I wish it had more. (Hope these pictures work; haven't posted any for a while).

Rear%20PR2%20May%202016.jpg

Side%20of%20Rear%20PR2%20May%202016.jpg

I get how you would wear the sides down so evenly that fast, but how on earth did you get the center worn down so far in only 3000 miles? :unsure:

It's the rough pavement here, I guess. I don't use the rear brake, unless it's a panic stop for a deer or turkey, and I'm not a wheelie/burnout/stunter guy, so your guess is as good as mine. And I'm pretty particular about checking tire pressure. I use 42 front and rear.

(I'd say it was due to trying to keep up with Gramps on his Triumph, but I haven't ridden on the fun roads with him for a few years.......)

It's the rough pavement here, I guess. I don't use the rear brake, unless it's a panic stop for a deer or turkey, and I'm not a wheelie/burnout/stunter guy, so your guess is as good as mine. And I'm pretty particular about checking tire pressure. I use 42 front and rear.
(I'd say it was due to trying to keep up with Gramps on his Triumph, but I haven't ridden on the fun roads with him for a few years.......)
After seeing those pictures I feel much better about my tires! Those suckers are G.O.N.E.

I get how you would wear the sides down so evenly that fast, but how on earth did you get the center worn down so far in only 3000 miles?
unsure.png
Fred W, riding in AR on chip & seal and aggressively using the throttle WILL get the center of a rear used up pretty fast along with the sides.
yes.gif
....I never got less than 3500m so I can do betterthan S.Raccoon.
innocent.gif
grin.gif

cool.png
Or this:

I begged my chief to let me outfit my bike with lights and attend a police riding course....he said no
sad.png

Running traffic is fun, running traffic on an FJR would be spectacular!