Need new underwear and a windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...those bikes mentioned that used metal screws....what did they screw into? I've had bikes before that had metal screws, but they went into one of those rubber expandy things in the holes...
Well nuts. A rubber/neoprene body with a brass nut molded in, typically used as a blind fastener. The flanged body of the well nut can also be used to make a water tight (well, at least resistant) seal at the fastener hole.
Perfect! Saves me the embarrassment of trying to describe what I noticed yesterday when I removed the windscreen to replace a screw that was missing its head - and discovered another that had a broken [inserting another 'tard word] shank.

It seems, to my uneducated imagination, like a pretty efficient way of securing the screen: the rubber sleeve of the 'well nut' allows for a snug-tight fit without placing stress on the acrylic shield - which would result in cracks and reduced lifespan. DAMHIK.

The safety aspect may be secondary to the engineers design. Perhaps a deliberate point of failure - with no damage to the windscreen - played a part?

Adding this item to the review/renew list of maintanence items.

Semongtaulie......was the Rifle screen you had a very large one?

I had a CAL SCI Sport shield and it was rock solid in the wind.

I now have a slightly taller CEE BAILEY shield with a reverse lip that wobbles in the wind quite a bit and I was wondering if it could damage the mechanism or cause the screws to come loose myself.
Both of the counter sunk screws that attach the wind shield to the bracket broke just below the head of the bolt on my 05. Second time it's happen. Once with a V Stream installed and recently with fourteen inch tall shield. Have any people had this problem. Thanks in advance for your input.

Last edited:
I have the touring windshield. The dealer put in ss screws but that caused the windshield to crack during a ride. Whether is wad caused by loose or tihhtnees… unknown. It happened after a fast ride. I repaired windshield crack with permatex plastic welder. I now use a thin plastic(mylar) washer under each screw head. You gradually tighten and check them the first few rides., checking they’re firmly tight. Results@ 140 no cracking . The downside Now if i crash …. The windshield could wreck the mechanism vs. the screws breaking. I have been searching for brass screws.

I have a 2009ae. SS screws- Tightness and looseness both cause cracks. Mylar washers cured it for me

I have the touring windshield. The dealer put in ss screws but that caused the windshield to crack during a ride. Whether is wad caused by loose or tihhtnees… unknown. It happened after a fast ride. I repaired windshield crack with permatex plastic welder. I now use a thin plastic(mylar) washer under each screw head. You gradually tighten and check them the first few rides., checking they’re firmly tight. Results@ 140 no cracking . The downside Now if i crash …. The windshield could wreck the mechanism vs. the screws breaking. I have been searching for brass screws.
I should mention that the metal windshield screw kits that I use do come with rubber washers.