Need Pennsylvania trip advise

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Padre

Reaction score
So, I live in Maine and am picking my 2014 FJR up in Ohio and want to go back thru the Grand Canyon of PA. 

What else do I want to see? Ride thru? Visit. I will leave Wooster, Oh and drop down into W. Virginia and take back roads to somewhere around Cumberland, MD and up into Pa. Thoughts? 

Flight 93 site, Johnstown Flood Museum, Ohiopyle,  Fort Ligonier and Bedford Village are a few interesting stops you may enjoy.
Thank-you Fullhouse, I have each of these on the list. I am building the trip using Furkot.com. I had read about the flood several years ago when I took at Triumph Trophy from Maine to Ohio. Flight 93 is a must stop at ...that was a very bad day for our country. I will try to connect with you before I go in May, perhaps we could have coffee.A buddy from a couple towns over is riding out and we are meeting somewhere in western Maryland and then north into Penn. 

It's crazy, this is the second motorcycle I've bought in Wooster, Ohio. First was my KLR650 and now the FJR. It's completely possible I will notice a difference between the two bike :)

...and I just discovered Confluence, PA: Lower Hubert Covered Bridge. That has been added

Thank-you, Mossyrocks, that's amazing. Can't wait to see which GPX's intersect my route.

0 degrees here this morning so that will be a fine project. I use Guru Maps Pro and can download the GPX into it for the trip. Cheers.
You should look around the NER website.  Lots of good information.  Also check out the Fartbook page, they used to have a pretty active forum until it moved onto fartbook.

You should look around the NER website.  Lots of good information.  Also check out the Fartbook page, they used to have a pretty active forum until it moved onto fartbook.
I'm on it. I've sent the link to my buddy who is riding out to join me. Looks like we are going to spend a couple days in PA. He has already downloaded the NER GPX's to his Garmin program. I will put them into Guru Maps Pro and we should have a blast. Can't thank you guys enough. If your ever in the Bangor area coffee or lunch is on me. 

So, I live in Maine and am picking my 2014 FJR up in Ohio and want to go back thru the Grand Canyon of PA. 

What else do I want to see? Ride thru? Visit. I will leave Wooster, Oh and drop down into W. Virginia and take back roads to somewhere around Cumberland, MD and up into Pa. Thoughts? 
Any aviation interest - Lock Haven.  Piper Aviation Museum

Hyner View State Park - might be worth a ride up if it's a clear day

Thank-you, I have. On Facebook my pseudonym is Vendo Cosas and I've been enjoying some great conversations and bantering. Good group. 

Any aviation interest - Lock Haven.  Piper Aviation Museum

Hyner View State Park - might be worth a ride up if it's a clear day
Hey Seneca, I served in the Air Force and LOVE planes. I will have to share this with my riding buddy. We will be going by, or near there. Thank-you!

Since you mentioned the PA Grand Canyon, Wellsboro, PA is an awesome little town to visit or even spend the night while you're in that area. Old fashioned gal street lights, the Wellsboro Diner, the Penn Wells Hotel and Lodge. They have a really cool walking tour that's only about 2 miles in duration but really interesting. Jim Thorpe, PA is another neat town to visit. Gettysburg of course. York, PA is the home of Harley Davidson final assembly plant and they offer tours if you want to see how the pirate ships are made.

What time of year is this planned for? Lifelong PA resident so hit me up if i can be of help.

Hey Seneca, I served in the Air Force and LOVE planes. I will have to share this with my riding buddy. We will be going by, or near there. Thank-you!
You are welcome.  Don't know the timing of your trip... but I just chedked the museum website and they are closed through March 31, 2021.

-Glen

You are welcome.  Don't know the timing of your trip... but I just chedked the museum website and they are closed through March 31, 2021.

-Glen
Hi Glen, I fly from Maine to Ohio on May 13th, spend several days with my old friend (my new bikes former owner). On the 17th I make my way thru West Virginia and into western Maryland and meet a buddy from here who will ride with me back. We plan on spending a couple days riding in Pennsylvania. So, maybe it will be open by then. Can. NOT. Wait. 

Since you mentioned the PA Grand Canyon, Wellsboro, PA is an awesome little town to visit or even spend the night while you're in that area. Old fashioned gal street lights, the Wellsboro Diner, the Penn Wells Hotel and Lodge. They have a really cool walking tour that's only about 2 miles in duration but really interesting. Jim Thorpe, PA is another neat town to visit. Gettysburg of course. York, PA is the home of Harley Davidson final assembly plant and they offer tours if you want to see how the pirate ships are made.

What time of year is this planned for? Lifelong PA resident so hit me up if i can be of help.
Hey BkerChuck, I've been through the Canyon twice. Once on a Triumph Trophy and the other a KLR650. Had a blast on both. I remember Wellsboro and that perfect Main St. with the Inn's and shops. Thank-you for the reminder. Since I started this journey I've extended my trip down into West Virginia crossing from Marietta, Oh to Spruce Knob on the other side. I'll be taking 47, 33, 250 and the like across the state. Routes 28, and 46 north to Grantsville, MD for a stay at a Motel. I meet my buddy, who is from Penn. originally, at Grantsville and we will hit various areas of Pa for a couple days, then back to Maine. I appreciate yours, and everyone else's help. Cheers. 

Padre, there is a FJR meet up in Marietta, OH the 13th-16th. Perhaps you want to drop by and introduce yourself to some forum peeps before taking off.