Need Smoke Screen or Oil Slick

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithaba

Reaction score
During my morning commute, people are so bad about tailgating. It really makes me feel uncomfortable, and I'm usually already doing like 15 over. I don't feel like getting a ticket, and the right lane is going like 25-30 mph slower than the left. Cagers just don't seem to care that they only leaving a 1 sec buffer, and it's always worse in the morning.

Anyone remember that game spyhunter, where you could let out a smoke screen or an oil slick to spin the car out behind you??? How much to get that Farkle?!?

Fill your tank bag with old hammers, just throw one up in the air every once in a while, that should get them to back off! :p

What we used to do (best at night) was to stand on the center stand (watch for pot holes, don't ask me how I know), it send a shower of sparks over the car hood! Really freaks them out. :D :D :D

Last edited by a moderator:
During my morning commute, people are so bad about tailgating. It really makes me feel uncomfortable, and I'm usually already doing like 15 over. I don't feel like getting a ticket, and the right lane is going like 25-30 mph slower than the left. Cagers just don't seem to care that they only leaving a 1 sec buffer, and it's always worse in the morning.
Anyone remember that game spyhunter, where you could let out a smoke screen or an oil slick to spin the car out behind you??? How much to get that Farkle?!?

PAGING SKYWAY !!! PAGING SKYWAY !!!!

GB - I'm IN !!

You could carry golf balls and toss them over your shoulder, but it isn't really a good idea. They may run you off the road after that.

You could carry golf balls and toss them over your shoulder, but it isn't really a good idea. They may run you off the road after that.
Already part of the equation, might as well have some fun with it before ya splat.

On a serious note, I find that adding tail lights and brake lights helps. I put Fred's LED lights into my Givi and those bright lights do get people's attention. Not fool proof, but it helps.

Other than lights for more visibility, I find that I can usually, not always, get the cager behind me to pay attention by moving from side to side in my lane every few seconds. Commuters tend to put their brains on cruise control and you need to constantly change their view to keep them focussed on driving.

Sometimes I find it necessary to move over and let a particularly inattentive driver go ahead or otherwise 'scrape them off' my tail onto another cager.

Here in TN it's an unwritten rule that it's OK to tailgate (really, really close) at Interstate speeds. The justification for this seems to be "I've seen them NASCAR boys do this on tha TV."

Honestly, I've found that keeping a pace they are simply unable to match is the best defense ever. Ever. Nothing else I've done is as effective, and I do this twice a day, 25 miles each way, all spring/summer/autumn long, so it's a suggestion I've proven over and over for years now.

Well we could start a convoy!

I just move out of there way, I'm traveling 42 to 264 west every morning possible jumping off at the preston exit prior to taking the 65 brake

I just try to keep distance from them, I do move from lane to lane to find my space out of the madness!

I have to agree with radman on this one. Plus, you don't have to worry so much aboot what's behind ya, eh.

Just because you are already 15 over the limit doesn't mean that you can set the pace. You need to get over and let them pass. I don't like it either, but after I think about it and weigh some of the consequences, I just get over.

This is exactly why i add extra lights to the fjr. Some bikes (Wings) have a lot of lights that you can wag a few. The FJR needs what OEM lights is has without some of the being off occasionally. The fix (for me) was to add Hyper-Lites. You get extra, BRIGHT running lights (low load LEDs) and some blinking when the brakes go on (5 seconds then constant to comply with all US jurisdictions).

https://www.fjr-tips.org/mods/hyper/hyper.html

I find it helps me mentally to tap out: ..-. ..- using my brakelights. That's FU in morse code. Probably only 2 people in the US understand it and it makes me smile and feel better! And I try and get outta their way.

I find it helps me mentally to tap out: ..-. ..- using my brakelights. That's FU in morse code. Probably only 2 people in the US understand it and it makes me smile and feel better! And I try and get outta their way.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Honestly, I've found that keeping a pace they are simply unable to match is the best defense ever. Ever. Nothing else I've done is as effective, and I do this twice a day, 25 miles each way, all spring/summer/autumn long, so it's a suggestion I've proven over and over for years now.
You must just be really lucky you don't get clocked by LEOs.

or

You must have a good traffic lawyer

You must just be really lucky you don't get clocked by LEOs.
or

You must have a good traffic lawyer
Actually, never a problem. The best time to really get it on seems to be in the midst of a lot of traffic, such as the rush hour. I consistently am able to run a steady 85-100 on the freeways coming in and going home, knowing traffic patterns intimately as well as hiding spots helps a lot. Of course I can't do it all the time, sometimes traffic just isn't moving, no lane splitting in Mn. If I lived in Cal, I'd be deadly........ :p

I consistently am able to run a steady 85-100 on the freeways coming in and going home...
That's gotta be some kinda sight: Titties flappin' in the wind, pursed lips clenchin' a ciggabutt, belly bouncin' off the tank, all while singing Yankee Doodle Dandy and flippin' the bird to cagers as you fly by...

Someone has to get that on vid!

:lmaosmiley:

I like that. :clapping:

Mount a paintball gun zero'ed in to hit a screen at 20ft.

Replace paintball load with greaseballs.

They'll automaticaly hit the wipers and when the grease smears all over they'll have to back off.

Rig it up off a button, all very 007