Need Smoke Screen or Oil Slick

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can put on all the blinking lights you want (right next to your deer whistles) -- if you believe in "passive safety"?

"If you can't take the heat -- get outta the kitchen." Or, get a Harley. :p

Seriously, MSF says, "Pull over to the shoulder in a safe place (driveway or other entrance) and let them go by.

Alternately, you can choose a different route (go by different, less aggressive, roads).

Last edited by a moderator:
Several years ago I was riding my (at the time) Concours through Knoxville, TN enroute to the Dragon. Anyway I had installed a stuffed animal on the luggage rack on top of the Givi trunk. The animal was equiped with a nozzel between his hind legs an faced backwards. Hidden under the faring was a windshield washer pump and a plastic bottle of water. To make a long story short I had a lot of fun with the pushbutton for the pump. At a gas stop I met some folks also going to the Dragon. They had a laugh at my farkle & we all took off. Going down by the airport in Knoxville I noticed a brand new white pickup truck tailgating one of the big burley guys on his HD clone. Immediately after only a few hundred feet I noticed the pickup back way off & change lanes. At the next stop I asked the rider what he had done to cause the guy to backoff. He smiled real big, said he chewed, and had just worked up the biggest mouthfull he could and put it all over the hood & windshield of that new white truck. Later I found out he was a motorcycle cop. He just looked the image of a rough Biker.

You can put on all the blinking lights you want (right next to your deer whistles) -- if you believe in "passive safety"?"If you can't take the heat -- get outta the kitchen." Or, get a Harley. :p

Seriously, MSF says, "Pull over to the shoulder in a safe place (driveway or other entrance) and let them go by.

Alternately, you can choose a different route (go by different, less aggressive, roads).
All good, sensible advice but......... at commute time, there are often no choices of less aggressive roads. They're all bad. You can pull over to the shoulder, but plan on a wait of several hours for the traffic to calm down.

Logically, it makes sense to let the worst of the morons just get past you. If they haven't the smarts to keep a safe distance, they are unlikely to do anything to preserve YOUR safety.

When driving my car, I will ease off the gas and let the car slow to a safe speed for the stopping distance that they've left. Stick shift = no brake lights. Eventually, they get it, and move to another lane. Then, I can accelerate back to a decent speed. Tail gater no likey that, because I will then be going faster than his next victim, so he pulls back into my lane. Runs up to my bumper and I ease off the gas. Repeat ad nauseum. Childish? yes, and I wont do it on my bike.

Jill

Tail gater no likey that, because I will then be going faster than his next victim, so he pulls back into my lane. Runs up to my bumper and I ease off the gas. Repeat ad nauseum. Childish? yes, and I wont do it on my bike.
Don't rely on that cage to protect you. Safer to do as you suggested in the first place, and just let them pass. Screwing around with people as you describe above will only provoke them. Depending on their mental state, that could be WAY dangerous. The wrong type of person might run you off the road, or worse. I average about 200 miles a day of driving/riding in all types of traffic. I've found it's much less stressful to just live and let live, and give a little space when you can. ;)

Of course, that doesn't stop my fantasies about rocket launchers mounted front and rear on every vehicle I own!! :lol: :lol:

Long story on how i had this idea but i always thought about putting propane tanks on the back of my car\motorcycle, with some silenoids and dump a pocket of gas right in front of the oncoming car. It is a FACT that an air mixture that has just 1% methane gas can stall a carburated engine doto the offset of the air fuel ratio.

Im guessing the effect would be similer with propane but idk if it woudl work with fuel injected engines and their fancy oxygen sensors that would likely compensate for the extra burnable material, I wanted to use it for when i had cops ready to pull me over so their cars would mysteriously stall and i could get away.

If anybody here has a good understanding about how fuel injection works and if sneaking extra fuel would actually be undetected and stall the motor please meassage me because ima totally fill the trunk of my cadi with tanks this weekend

When some one comes up too close I often just put out my left hand and wave them to back off. Most often they do. I assume they are just being mindless while they eat french fries and talk on the cell phone; and need a little reminder. If not I pull over and let them by. If this is not possible and they persist in staying too close, that is when I wish I had a pocket full of stones, ball bearings, water balloons, or some other weapon of mass destruction.

Completely out of character for me, but I have a serious suggestion for handling tailgaters.

It's been my personal observation that cagers' depth perception is seriously affected by the relative lateral position of the bike ahead. If you are in lane-2 or lane-3 positions (center or right), they tend to follow much closer to you. It's human nature because the distance between the cager and your bike just seems greater. The natural focus of their attention and thus their adjusted following distance, becomes a reference to the cager ahead of YOU, rather than on you.

Try running in a lane-1 position more (extreme left), so that you are clearly in front of them and clearly in their line of sight. It has subtle, yet definite influence over the perceived following distance. It also helps to mentally mandate your "ownership" of a spot. The cager behind you sees you as taking a more aggressive posture and owning that space. At least more so than when you are on the right or center and out of their mental focus.

It's just a thought, but it's also an idea I have put to many years of practice. It has worked for me and I'm sure somebody teaches it in a class somewhere now. Sorry for being boring.

In the city these jag's run right up your ass, no matter the traffic pattern. Most are good about staying a few feet off in traffic, but one day I had a Mitsubishi suv up my ass so bad I wanted to get off the bike and kill him because I had the wife on the back! I mean he was MAYBE 6in off my topcase at a stop and was getting more aggressive. The wife was ready to get off and whip out the pistola and badge before she realized she had her pepper spray. At the next light she told me when we take off to be aggressive about it and don't ask why :rolleyes: .

After we got home I realized asswipe wasn't anywhere near our tail after that and asked her WTF did she do? A one second release of pepper spray "accidentally" fired off as we took off and must've gotten to him somehow. Oh well, fuck him, just enough to irritate but not endanger anyone.

Most of the time I would've acted like a medic and told her what could've happened .blah,blah,blah. W/ that asshole I had absolutely no way to get away he was that close and I am positive we did far less damage to him than he would've done to us eventually, so as I say FUCK 'EM. Not to mention he was a local DP that more than likely didn't have insurance or speak english. <_< He had the big chicken flag on both sides of the f'in car. For any PC fucks, my wife is polish(american born) and my last name is polish, so bite me. Her grandmother even hates the DP's out here and she was in the Warsaw ghetto and treblinca in WWII!

Latest posts