Need some advice on buying a GPS device.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcolman

Reaction score
Looking for a fairly cheap (under $500) GPS that works well on the FJR. Any recommendations?? I don't want to pay for extras (voice prompt, bluetooth, etc) that I don't need. I'm simply looking for a good, easy to read and understand model that will plug and play.

I have a Street Pilot III and it has been a good unit but my wife decided she wanted it on her bike so I just ordered a Zumo 450 off e-bay for 536.00 delivered. I have heard good things about the Zumo and I have no use for radio or phone so I saved a couple hundred bucks in the process. I should have it Tues so I will see what the learning curve is like. If you get a used unit make sure you get all the updates and unlock codes for that unit because you can't use the codes from another unit.

I recently picked up a Streetpilot C330 for under $300CAD. It's pretty basic and isn't waterproof but a ziplock sandwich bag will fit over it quite nicely for those rainy days, and at that price I can afford a lot of ziplocks.

Cosco had 2730's for $350US. Not sure if you can still get them for that price... but...

You may want to research the Zumo. I don't have one, but have heard good things.

I use the Garmin Quest....Basic/simple to use plus its waterproof. I have it mounted on a steering stem stand.

i just ordered a magellan roadmate 2000 + 3 year extended warranty for $232 shipped. got it from beach camera. they consistently have great prices, great service, and great reputation.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are likely to be riding with other people who use a GPS, then I recommend that you get the same brand they use so that you can share route and waypoint files. For me that equates to Garmin.

I just picked up a Maestro 3100 for 250 bucks....gets you where you need to be, and doesn't have a bunch of useless crap on it. It's not waterproof, but that's what pockets and baggies are for B)

I too have been looking at buying a gps. Still have not pulled the trigger but if you want all the bells & whistles Buydig.com has the Zumo 550 for $678.00 delivered. Good luck.

No hadr drives for an electronic device mounted to a bike. That is one ofvery few rules you need to keep in mind when choosing things fr your ride. Ipods, GS units and such cannot have rotaing memory.

Anything exposed to the elements ought to be waterproof as well - yes, a baggie will 'help', but if it is raining and you are too slow you may just wind up with a fancy paperweight.

Latest posts