Need Tire Review

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Dunflops are mounted and took first ride today. I also installed new brake pads front and rear, so I have to seat the pads, scuff the tires and check everything out on the bike before railing the RoadSmarts later this week.

Good chance of rain this week. I plan to do some definite wet miles testing.

In the multi-compound arena, this is how I'm guessing (and I mean GUESS) the chips will fall.

Best Quality, Most Consistent, Highest Mileage - Michelin PR2s

Good Quality, Best Handling, Nearly Highest Mileage - Dunlop RoadSmart

Good Quality, Good Handling, Medium Mileage (Really needs a new front design, but we really don't care) - Bridgestone BT-021.

Bridgestone may prove me wrong and it would be great if they did. But my money says they won't get serious about refining the front design until Michelin and Dunlop "clean their clock".

I have about 6000 miles on this set of PR2s with just under 4mm tread left. Starting to show a flat spot in the middle.
If you look close at the grooves in the last photo, they no longer touch the centerline of the tire. The grooves are shallow and taper to nothing as they reach the centerline of the new tire.

Here is a picture of the tires the day I got them mounted Sept. 2007.

0917071351.jpg

Here is a picutre with about 3500 miles on them.

0204081445.jpg

Here is a picture with about 6000 miles on them.

IMG_1981.jpg

These tires have worked great for me and still feel good and sticky in the corners.

I will edit this post with pictures until I put on a new set for NAFO.

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Here a a picture of the front with 6000 miles on it.

0404080745.jpg

Finally got them on and got to take it out today. As far as comparing them to the stockers I can't, as when I got mine they were pretty much shot.

Have to say I really like these. They don't have any bad manners and are smooth as silk. About the only thing I notice is they are a bit noisy when coming down from speed, but I don't care about that.

It will be interesting to see how long they last. The stock Dunlops got 11k which I think is outstanding. If these do that I'll be more than happy with them.

This is reviewed with just 100 miles on them mind you but I don't think you can go wrong with a set of these.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have about 6000 miles on this set of PR2s with just under 4mm tread left. Starting to show a flat spot in the middle.
If you look close at the grooves in the last photo, they no longer touch the centerline of the tire. The grooves are shallow and taper to nothing as they reach the centerline of the new tire.

Here is a picture of the tires the day I got them mounted Sept. 2007.

0917071351.jpg

Here is a picutre with about 3500 miles on them.

0204081445.jpg

Here is a picture with about 6000 miles on them.

IMG_1981.jpg

These tires have worked great for me and still feel good and sticky in the corners.

I will edit this post with pictures until I put on a new set for NAFO.

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Here a a picture of the front with 6000 miles on it.

0404080745.jpg
Here are pictures of the rear tire with around 7000 miles on it. Mostly high speed Highway riding and half of that is 2up.

IMGA0249.jpg

IMGA0248-1.jpg

HYCLE,
If you had to guess about remaining tire life on the rear, what would you estimate?
Hard to say since I don't know how thick the rubber is in the center section of the tire.

I think I will change them before they wear through to the cord, I have to have new tires before NAFO.

That gives me about 2000 to 3000 more miles to find out.

Just slipped on Michelin Pilot Power 2CTs and put all of 5 miles on them :rolleyes:

Day-um, this tire's pretty tippy. Typically you trash the old rubber that's flat-spotted and/or worn as hell and you suddenly realize the new tire turns when you think "turn". Whoopee, even my old mahogany Shinko Ravens had a great feel to them on day one... ;)

But this is far out. You get the impression this tire lives at a 45° lean angle and riding straight and level is a momentary aberration :lol:

power2t.jpg

I've got 2,000 miles of Spanish mountain roads to cover and I'll report on the PP2CT performance later.

Stef

I have a set of PR2's on the way. I average 650-700 miles a week so after I mount them I will post my thoughts on them. Btw I have over 12000 miles on the original bridgestones! I know I am pushing it a bit but I can't stomach the thought of 2 sets of tires in one season. I will if I have to though. I will also be finding a tire changer because I don't want anyone touching my bike for any reason! To many horor stories around about dealers.

I have had bridgestone 8k , pilot roads 10k , strads 7k , and i just put on a set of pr 2 put about 200 miles on there the best tire yet . and i would put them in this order PR2 , pilot roads , strads very poor milage out of them . stones

Still happy with the Michelin PR2s. I have about 9000 miles on them now with 2mm tread depth. That puts me 1mm left before the wearbars. I should be putting 800 miles on this week, 2up. I will post new pictures before and after the next 1000 miles.

Here is todays picture with 9000 miles

IMG_2587.jpg

Well it is time for putting on a new set of PR2s. This set still feels great even though they are worn out.

Front tread measures 2mm across most of the contact area with 3mm left on the outside edges.

Rear tread is mostly bald across the middle with 3mm measured on the outside edges.

The last 1000 or so miles have been 2up with stock tire pressure.

Total mileage on these tires is about 10,500 miles.

[SIZE=14pt]Front tire[/SIZE]

Front11k.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]Rear Tire[/SIZE]

Rear11k.jpg

Hope this helps others to decide on what tires to buy.

I would like to see what the Dunlop Road Smart tires look like with 5,000 or 10,000 miles.

Anyone have pictures of the Dunlops?

For crying out loud HYCLE, you got about 3,000 more miles left on that rear PR2!!!

;)

Glad to see some are getting good mileage. Have a pair in my garage from Toecutter's group buy a while back. Eventually will get them spooned on and give them a try.

Good Report guys! Just mounted the PR2's on the FJR for the NAFO trip. That gives me a few weekends to break them in. Got 11000 on the old PR's though. They still have good tread but have that familiar flat spot in the middle and the Sweeper ridge that we all hate. Even at 11000 miles the PR's still didnt have any shakes or wobbles. They rarely lost air pressure either. I check it on every ride and only need to put in 1lb. of air every 1.5months or so. The PR's always tracked great and didnt grab the street cracks. I can only imagine how good these PR2's are going to be.

Very nice guys. Looks like we may have a winner with the pr2. Anybody want to add anything about the roadsmarts?

GP

I just reached 1000 miles on the RoadSmarts and I'll add that I like the handling even more now that I'm used to them and that they work very well in the wet. We had some kick ass thunderstorms here last night that I rode through and not even a wiggle from the RoadSmarts. Very sure footed. They even stick going through a 6 inch deep puddle (low speed fortunately)

I have had bridgestone 8k , pilot roads 10k , strads 7k , and i just put on a set of pr 2 put about 200 miles on there the best tire yet . and i would put them in this order PR2 , pilot roads , strads very poor milage out of them . stones
You almost mirrored my experince except that I did get 11k out of the Pilot Roads with a really broad almost car tire flat spot in the middle in them.Very few twisties here in the coastal plains of Texas.I really loved the Perrelli but two sets a seaon is more than the "boss" likes to see go out the door.FWIT I always shop to try and find the best deal.To me a buck off is a buck more for fuel.I got a quote for PR2's installed at Maxxum Honda in Allen Texas with nitrogen for $473 out the door.Their service manager had very possitive remarks about the PR2's.My Yamaha dealer wanted to break the bank.

I have now put 1500 miles on the PR2's and I can tell that they will last longer than the Strada's. They are also more confedence inspiring. The PR2's are IMO the best all around tire I have used. I hope that I get to 6000 miles.