Need Tire Review

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GPRIDER

Reaction score
Getting ready to buy new tires and haven't seen any new first hand tire info from you guys in a while about the PR 2, and the Dunlop Road Smart. I know these are new additions to the sport touring tire lineup and it's still a little early for any really good information. If you've been running these tires, please chime in and let us all know what you think.

GP :rolleyes:

I can't remember the link but a couple people just bought the Dunlop Road Smart Tires. Do a search for them or other tire reviews.

I can't remember the link but a couple people just bought the Dunlop Road Smart Tires. Do a search for them or other tire reviews.
I've already looked several weeks back, but I'm not really looking for old reviews. I'm looking for new up to date (today) information on these tires.

GP

Hmmm. Do a search google it, "Dunlop Road Smart FJRforum" and see what pops up. I remember two people just bought some and they were going to update us on what they thought. I'd have to imagine if they got them mounted, they don't have much time on them though.

Try this thread.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=100708

Last edited by a moderator:
I've already looked several weeks back, but I'm not really looking for old reviews. I'm looking for new up to date (today) information on these tires.

GP
I'm putting a set of the roadsmarts on as we speak.....hopefully the weather will coorperate this week and I can put some mileage on them.

Getting ready to buy new tires and haven't seen any new first hand tire info from you guys in a while about the PR 2, and the Dunlop Road Smart. I know these are new additions to the sport touring tire lineup and it's still a little early for any really good information. If you've been running these tires, please chime in and let us all know what you think.

GP :rolleyes:

I'll be very interested as well in reviews from FJRForum members (that Ashe dood, et al) on both the RoadSmart and the PR2. I am waiting presently for the PR2 group buy delivery...and have about 1 to 1.5 k left on my rear storms.

After I use up the Storm, and when I spoon those PR2s on, I will send a report- if that will be helpful.

I got almost 7k on the original BTs , 7-8k on subsequent Azarros...less on my Storm. However, my use is no good as an indicator of anything as my riding style has ummm changed a little since starting back into mcying on my '04. Also...too many flat straight roads around Wheaton so....

most of my rides are touring mode loaded up touring 2-lane-roads more sedately... with occasional rides in sport-touring mode without bags at Hooterville, SE Ohio, EOM and the like where I am wicking it up a bit more...so the use of the tire, loading and rider skills is not constant in my case. Therefore any tire reports may be NG.

I looked at Google: Dunlop Roadsmart site:fjrforum.com You're right, there is a lot of information there, but not any "hard evidence" yet. I think the tires are too new for anyone to have worn out a set and report on the mileage.
That was my point. I know they're new. I was hoping an Iron Butt guy, or some other big mileage person had put some serious miles on some and would chime in with some helpful info.

I have about 6000 miles on this set of PR2s with just under 4mm tread left. Starting to show a flat spot in the middle.

If you look close at the grooves in the last photo, they no longer touch the centerline of the tire. The grooves are shallow and taper to nothing as they reach the centerline of the new tire.

Here is a picture of the tires the day I got them mounted Sept. 2007.

0917071351.jpg

Here is a picutre with about 3500 miles on them.

0204081445.jpg

Here is a picture with about 6000 miles on them.

IMG_1981.jpg

These tires have worked great for me and still feel good and sticky in the corners.

I will edit this post with pictures until I put on a new set for NAFO.

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

wow....looks like you have another six grand to go on them skins. Ten iffn' yer skooterG. I may have to try them out. Hate to leave my avons behind, though.

There's a review of the Road Smart's in this month's Rider magazine. Writer was impressed with rain performance in particular. My set are waiting for brake upgrade install & new brake lines.

I just took the bike out for the first ride this year with the New Road Smart's. Rode about 90 miles with the intention of taking it easy, first time out in months. As the ride progressed I started getting into it a little. The tires felt very good, steering was light and not "truckish". They seemed confidence inspiring so I kept picking up the pace on back roads. By the time I got home a few hours later I only had 1/4" chicken strips on the back tire. I thought I was going easy! I really liked them.

We have some really bad roads up here with cracks in the asphalt running "along" the road 2" wide and V shaped to 2" deep. I normally avoid them like the plague but found the bike hardly reacted to them at all. I started cris crossing them for fun and was amazed the bike didn't squirm at all. It did squirm a little on a 3" wide crack but I was practically riding in it at that point.

Then again, I also did the suspension group buy front and back this winter and the bike is not at all balanced correctly. But even under those circumstances it felt great. Can't wait till I get it sorted out. This thing is gonna rock!

Sorry can't help on mileage except to say they will last at least 90 miles.

How many miles do you normally get on a set of tires, HCycle?
I bought the FJR from Napa Yamaha and it was a demo bike with 8000 miles on it. They had installed a new BT 020 sometime before I bought it. I then rode it close to 8000 miles but the last 1500 miles was on a worn out tire. If I remember correctly the cord was showing. I ran the tire longer than I would ever do again while waiting for the PR2s to come to the USA.

Hycle,

Please keep us posted on your final mileage. I am getting my PR2's on this week. Gonna use my worn out skins for the dyno tomorrow.

WW