Needing advice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Read the Gen I Common Info and FAQ thread in its entirety.

Plan on:

Brake and clutch fluid flush and bleed

Rear end fluid change - check the rear wheel for splattering rear end fluid - look underneath the drive shaft at the weep hole for evidence of a leak. This would indicate your pumpkin seals are gone.

Coolant fluid change

Check fork seals for leaking - Plan to change fork fluid at a minimum.

Lubricate the pivot points on the shifter assy, rear brake pedal, center stand, and swing arm.

Probably needs new spark plugs

blow out the air filter - possibly replace

lubricate the worm gear on the wind screen motor (pull the auto-retract jumper while you are in there)

lubricate the drive shaft splines and the rear wheel - pumpkin splines

A few of the generation I FJRs have cam chain tensioner issues. When the motor is started, you might listen for a loose cam chain (right side of the motor). Worst case - a new CCT is about $80.00 and takes a couple of hours to change.

Even fewer of the gen I FJRs have a ticking noise that could be serious. There's a video on this on the Common Info thread.

Now - every bit of this can be done in your garage if you know the difference between a screwdriver and a wrench. Every item has a detailed pictorial on this forum showing you how to do this. You can accomplish all of this for about $50.00 in materials, a handful of tools (nothing special), and a full day in the garage.

I think the price is a fair asking price, but about $1,000.00 cheaper would be a steal. Anywhere in between is "reasonable".

Last edited by a moderator:
As much as I like my 03 if somebody would give me 5500 for they would have it. Mine is farkled out and I doubt it would go for more than 4k.

However the 03 is the superior model to own.:) :) :)

I gave 5500 for my '03 in 2007, with 40,000 miles on it. That was a steal at the time, there weren't any others around under 6 or 6.5K.

I'm with the "overpriced" group. His "many extras" include a Corbin saddle (NOT much of a selling point, IMO), and I see a top case, sliders, and maybe a tank bag and Throttlemeisters. Some good stuff, but not really loaded. Make a few more posts (pretty sure you need at least five) so you can shop around in the "For Sale" section here,and check Cycle Trader, Craigslist (all over), etc. just to get a better sense of what they're really selling for. Good luck.

Nice bike good shape. I would dicker on price a little.
KBB trade in, $3150.00

Retail, $4585.00

Good luck,

Dave
It does look like a nice bike.

Assuming you're near, go look it over and take it for a test ride.

If you like it, (try not to show it), and offer $3250.

I'm betting if you're patient, you can get it for 4.

The thought occurred to me maybe this guy really doesn't want to sell the bike. Hence the high price IMO as to have the excuse not too. He sounds like my brotherinlaw.

Yeh he always has crap to sell but is always asking to much for it and it just sits there in his yard.

Just sayin,

Dave

Hey Folks, been kicking around the idea of an fjr for a few years and haven't pulled the trigger yet. This one https://asheville.craigslist.org/mcy/4596028672.html has got me on the fence. I'd like to know what I need to know about the 03 and what is a fair price for this bike. Thanks in advance for your help.

That is low miles for an 11 YO bike. Not sure about the value. Doesn't seem out of bounds to me.

Looks good, plenty of miles left in that bike.
Dunno anythang 'bout the bike, butt it's good ta see a stooge reunion!
lol.gif

Hey Folks, been kicking around the idea of an fjr for a few years and haven't pulled the trigger yet. This one https://asheville.craigslist.org/mcy/4596028672.html has got me on the fence. I'd like to know what I need to know about the 03 and what is a fair price for this bike. Thanks in advance for your help.

That is low miles for an 11 YO bike. Not sure about the value. Doesn't seem out of bounds to me.

Looks good, plenty of miles left in that bike.
Dunno anythang 'bout the bike, butt it's good ta see a stooge reunion!
lol.gif
+1! My thoughts exactly! I've never seen FOUR stooges in one thread!

Don't buy that bike at that price: it's way overpriced. Besides that, it doesn't have ABS. I would NEVER own a bike without it. The ABS on my FJR has saved my but more than once. And I've still got the scars to prove that there is a reason I won't own a bike that doesn't have it.

Have you checked the classifieds on THIS forum?

One of our members is selling an 05 with ABS for $4900.00 CLICKY HERE It's located just south of Atlanta. Seems like a much better deal to me, and has similar miles to boot.

And by the way, I respectfully disagree with the comments above about the "glitches" of earlier models. Both 1st and 2nd generation FJRs had glitches. Almost all were covered by the factory. Granted the Gen 1 tickers were more than just a glitch, but it's been established that they were very rare, and that this matter would have shown up by 20k miles. I would call the two generations - even when it comes to glitches. The major diff was the heat factor in the Gen 1's, something I love in the winter and don't much worry about in the summer thanks to my Baker air wings mounted just above my knees. Hard to argue with this fact though: Gen 1s are cheaper.

Gary

darksider #44

Use SearchTempest.com to do a national search of Craig's List, eBay and some other sources. You will then have a good idea of what bikes are selling for.