Nelson/Nakusp British Columbia roads and sights to see?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShawnKing2

Reaction score
My lovely wife and I are going on our first road trip together. We're headed to the general area of Nelson/Nakusp British Columbia. She used to live around there many years ago so she has a vague idea of what towns are "pretty". But she's not a rider so she wouldn't know of any fun motorcycle roads.

I know a Canadian FJR Rally was held in Nelson a few years back (I was really sorry to have missed it!) and was hoping to get some tips on the best, most fun roads in the area. I tried searching for info about the previous (2014?) rally in Nelson but wasn't very successful.

Any help or ideas you can provide will be greatly appreciated!

These aren't exactly on your way, but they could be if you turn the trip into a big loop.

Salmon River Rd between Yankee Flats and Salmon Arm.

https://www.dreamcycle.ca/

https://hikekamloops.ca/the-pillar/

If you visited all those stops in a single day you'd be tired but happy. They're all areas I ride regularly, good riding even if you don't stop in at the attractions. If you decide to hit the area, PM me and I'll sketch a route.

Last edited by a moderator:
The roads between Nakusp -Kaslo...and Nakusp- Vernon, via the Fauquier ferry, Castlegar-New Denver-Nakusp, Creston-Kootenay Bay-Kaslo-Nakusp are all excellent. If you’re on the road between New Denver and Nakusp watch out for the “very slippery” small wood surface bridge about mid-way.

• The roads between Nakusp -Kaslo...and Nakusp- Vernon, via the Fauquier ferry, Castlegar-New Denver-Nakusp, Creston-Kootenay Bay-Kaslo-Nakusp are all excellent.
We'll definitely be on those roads. Thanks for the recommendation.

If you’re on the road between New Denver and Nakusp watch out for the “very slippery” small wood surface bridge about mid-way.
Yikes - thanks for the heads up!

Last edited by a moderator:
Creston to Kootenay Bay, 3A, is a ride you will not forget.

Kaslo to New Denver is a close second.

These are the two best rides in the area.

Ainsworth Hot Springs is a nice stop, if you like that sort of thing.

If you have the time, try highway 3B, Rossland to highway 3.

If you are going to travel on the west side of the Arrow Lakes, then Needles to Coldstream (Vernon) is a must do.

Take Kalamalka Rd from Coldstream to highway 97, then north to Vernon, if Vernon is where you are headed.

Enjoy your ride.

-Steve

Latest posts