NERDS 2015?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has any thought been put in to Lake Placid? I know most places are expensive there but I think there are some deals to be had there. With the large selection of places to eat and drink it would be worth at least making some calls. I have stayed at a place called the Wildwood, less expensive than most in town, older place, not very modern, beds worked, showers were hot and a short walk to downtown. https://www.wildwoodmotel.com/index.html I'm willing to make some calls but I haven't tried working a place for better rates before so I'll need a little coaching before I do it. (what to ask, not to ask, what they need to know, etc.)

A "MUST" is having permission to have evening "social" in the parking lot (or even back patio) with beverages of our own. The social has been the best part of past NERDs gatherings. The Commodore's has a really nice covered area where we could park bikes and hang out (and drink).

...The Commodore's has a really nice covered area where we could park bikes and hang out (and drink).
and occasionally play motorcycle dominoes

Some NERDS got together for breakfast last weekend and the subject of NERDS '16 came up. It is looking more like we will try get something planned but we all have too much going on right now to commit to it.

...The Commodore's has a really nice covered area where we could park bikes and hang out (and drink).
and occasionally play motorcycle dominoes

Some NERDS got together for breakfast last weekend and the subject of NERDS '16 came up. It is looking more like we will try get something planned but we all have too much going on right now to commit to it.

Thank you for that bit of good news Mr. Beam.
punk.gif

In the past how many people attended NERDs? When I call the hotel to see what, if anything, they will do how many rooms should I say we would fill? 20 or 30?? And yes I will make sure they are aware of our social time in the parking lot.

The only year that I still have data for was 2011, where we had 52 bikes, 73 attendees (including pillions) and reserved 42 hotel rooms.

I think the number went up each year (2012 & 2013) slightly, but we started keeping the tally on FJRed's Franken-server and not manually in a spreadsheet anymore. There were also a few folks that camped nearby each year.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about Lake George, NY at the end of June before their summer season gets started? Lord knows with that many motels there has to be a few that would be happy to host this group.

Y'all do L.George, and Just Roy and myself will probably show up.

How about Lake George, NY at the end of June before their summer season gets started? Lord knows with that many motels there has to be a few that would be happy to host this group.
Lake George-

Being my side yard, been and done this region many of times. Good roads & scenery is the BIG plus. But!, the negative would be the lodging costs in LG, ... it's just not cheap! and, these guys (our FJR riders) will just not show in numbers when it reaches or supersedes the 100 dolla mark.

I learned a lot when doing my Penn-Run on Memorial Day Weekend (in Welsboro PA at the Penn-Wells Lodge). Perfect place, best location of any Rally or Meet I've ever been to, but it's just not a cheap Hotel!. My negotiated discounted group rate arranged was $99/nite. Being also a Holiday Weekend, they really didn't want to bend nearly this much, but they did (and I hope again for 2016!). It's borderline pricey, I justify it more-so because of the Holiday.

I had a bunch of emails and PM's from peeps saying they wanted to come but they were going to do a weekend elsewhere, and, had rooms for $59 etc etc. I'm not saying these guys are cheap, frugal may be a better word. It's also smart on their (our) end. If we can keep costs lower, we can fit in more rides during the season and still stay within BB (biking budget).

Let's keep the riff rolling, we do have all winter to nail this down.

I'm probably the oddball, but room cost rarely enters into my decision of which gathering to attend. I can save money in other ways if the hotel is a bit pricey.

Of course if we set up outside of LG maybe the price would be a little less. I know when Americade is in town a lot of bikers stay near where I live in VT (Of course that could be last minute riders that can't get a room anywhere else). Just staying it might be something to look into for someone over that way.

Been doing some research, I took 6/23/16 - 6/26/16 as dates....

Staying in/around LG....

Super 8 Lake George/Warrensburg Area3619 State Route 9, I-87 Exit 23, Lake George, NY 12845 US

+ it's cheap, ~ $68/nite, 2x double bed rm.

- Not right in Lk George, our walking to amenities may be limited.

03710_b1.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Super 8 Lake George/Downtown2159 Canada Street, I-87 Exit 21 Canada St. Rte 9, Lake George, NY 12845 US

+ It's downtown, walking distance to pubs n restaurants.

- pricey, $112 / nite

13930_b1.jpg

Lots more, give me some direction on what you prefer, price over location or visa versa?

KJ,

The June time frame is pretty crowded next year, what with the Red Lodge Rendezvous, plus whatever CFR is doing (they traditionally do their gatherings in June). CFR was one of the big reasons that we always ran NERDS in Stowe in August, when it was too hot in much of the southern states to even ride.

The VT Antique and Classic Car Show in Stowe is always held the 2nd weekend of August, which was why we always took the following weekend. This year the 3rd weekend would be August 19th - 21st (Friday - Sun).

My suggestion would be to return to Stowe and try the minimalist approach of the SEO Ramble, just blocking out the rooms and have folks just show up to ride (and party), but cutting out all the hoopla. As you said, you already have a bunch of really good ride routes, and I can provide you with all of those old route files if you need them.

If you (or anybody else) are interested in coordinating such an effort, let me know by PM and I'll give you the contact info for the owners of the Commodores Inn. They are very nice folks and quite easy to work with.

KJ,
The June time frame is pretty crowded next year, what with the Red Lodge Rendezvous, plus whatever CFR is doing (they traditionally do their gatherings in June). CFR was one of the big reasons that we always ran NERDS in Stowe in August, when it was too hot in much of the southern states to even ride.

The VT Antique and Classic Car Show in Stowe is always held the 2nd weekend of August, which was why we always took the following weekend. This year the 3rd weekend would be August 19th - 21st (Friday - Sun).

My suggestion would be to return to Stowe and try the minimalist approach of the SEO Ramble, just blocking out the rooms and have folks just show up to ride (and party), but cutting out all the hoopla. As you said, you already have a bunch of really good ride routes, and I can provide you with all of those old route files if you need them.

If you (or anybody else) are interested in coordinating such an effort, let me know by PM and I'll give you the contact info for the owners of the Commodores Inn. They are very nice folks and quite easy to work with.
As I hinted^^, Stowe would (still) be ideal. From what you say also, I think we may have some headway in this planning and a KISS approach is the way to go. I talked to Paul (Asphaltjunkie) about this at EOM as well, I think he's on this same page as us. I could take the lead on this quite easily, but I'm waiting for a true New Englander to step up first, as it would be true NERDish with a real NEer as the lead dawg. ;)

Back to date; 3rd Weekend in Aug sounds fine to me. Maybe we could add-in the 1st Weekend for a final debate? I'm game either way as long as I know way ahead of time. July and Aug are my big boating Months, and we (Deb & I) have some events planned there as well, some my be able to get swapped around.

I tentatively plan on attending CFR in '16 as you. I'll also (most likely) bring the Bird-Man w me, prob to both events... so nobody bait or attract any scary ducks at or around the pond please!... Steamer thanks you. :) lmao

thoughts....

I think you should check with the venue and then set a date. If you ask the cats when they want to be herded every one of them will have a different opinion. Just set the date early enough and let folks make the best plans they can.

As for who is head honcho, I don't think it really matters. I'd say just go for it.

Been doing some research, I took 6/23/16 - 6/26/16 as dates....

Staying in/around LG....

Super 8 Lake George/Warrensburg Area3619 State Route 9, I-87 Exit 23, Lake George, NY 12845 US

+ it's cheap, ~ $68/nite, 2x double bed rm.

- Not right in Lk George, our walking to amenities may be limited.

03710_b1.jpg

<snip>
I stayed in the Super 8 Lake George/Warrensburg once. I found it to be quite noisy at night due to its location next to the Interstate.

When I want to stay in Lake George Village I usually choose the

Sundowner Motel - directly across from Mario's Italian Restaurant

420 Canada Street, I-87 Exit 22, Lake George, NY 12845

Here were their rates for standard rooms during June 2015 after Americade.

1 Queen Bed- $72, 2 Dbl. Beds $82, 2 Dbl & 1Single Cabin $95, 1 King $82, Efficiency Suite $119.

Here are the rates in effect since 9/13.

$52, $62, $75, $62, $99.

Lakeside rooms have higher rates.

motel-room2.jpg

rates-pic.jpg

The Concours Owners Group had their Fall Foliage rally this past weekend at the:

Motel Montreal

3 Lake Avenue, I-87 Exit 22, Lake George, New York 12845

"2015 rates for the Double-Double hotel rooms start at $65.00 per night plus tax for the offseason and $95.00 per night plus tax during the regular season."
The negotiated rally rate for a minimum three night stay was $47.50+ tax!

46.jpg

The drawback to both these motels is the only place within walking distance for breakfast, The Tamarack Inn, is both over priced and not very good. I usual get on my motor and ride down to McDonald's at the other end of the village to get breakfast or North on 9N/Lake Shore Drive to the Lone Bull Pancake & Steak House.

I have a friend who lives in Bolton Landing on Lake George who I could ask for suggestions if there is real interest in a Lake George location. Obviously, The Sagamore Resort in Bolton Landing would not be suitable price wise for us.

Exterior%20View%20_11357_High.jpg

Latest posts