NERDS 2015?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another ride I'll be watching. I'm cool with camping, unless my lady rides with me. She enjoys camping as well, but I might have a hard time packing for two plus camping gear. Lack of experience on my part, if others are successful with that. This whole meet and ride thing is pretty addictive.

Did someone say camping????
Sure. Have two groups. The "Stay in the hotel" pussies and the "Real men/women" campers. Unless, of course it rains a bunch; then I would switch sides.
Otherwise known as Cabin pussies...

But, I'm with you...if it's raining buckets, I'm sneaking into a cabin....EVEN if I see Beemerdon in there.

Another ride I'll be watching. I'm cool with camping, unless my lady rides with me. She enjoys camping as well, but I might have a hard time packing for two plus camping gear. Lack of experience on my part, if others are successful with that. This whole meet and ride thing is pretty addictive.
I know Bob/Intech has figured out a way to do that...

Get one of these:

trailer.jpg

It would take me a weekend to make that. Harbor Freight trailer and some stainless steel sheet metal from work. Bad ass.

I've looked at trailers, but don't have a couple grand to drop right now. But building something like that would be budget friendly, and I like the look.

I'm in. Made 2 out of the 3 official NERDS events in the past and had a blast. Chowda run was also a great time.

George

If all goes well with my back surgery next week and I can ride next year I'd be glad to help out with a NERDS in 2016. I'm good with the "show up and ride" which is what I did for the first Green Mountion ride.

Yeah, but that was only a group of about 12 -14 bikes as I recall, and was by secret invitation only. NERDS was more like 50 bikes.

Good luck with your back surgery, Tom. We'll be keepin' our fingers crossed for you. :thumbsup:

Yeah, but that was only a group of about 12 -14 bikes as I recall, and was by secret invitation only. NERDS was more like 50 bikes.
Good luck with your back surgery, Tom. We'll be keepin' our fingers crossed for you.
thumbsup.gif
I guess the difference with a larger group is making sure the venue can accommodate the numbers and allows us to congregate in the parking lot. Other than that, a date, place and a some routes are the minimum requirements. I can do without banquets and swag. I usually buy the t-shirt when available, but even that is a luxury.

Good luck with your back surgery, Tom. We'll be keepin' our fingers crossed for you.
thumbsup.gif
I guess the difference with a larger group is making sure the venue can accommodate the numbers and allows us to congregate in the parking lot. Other than that, a date, place and a some routes are the minimum requirements. I can do without banquets and swag. I usually buy the t-shirt when available, but even that is a luxury.
Agree totally Greg, but to add [in]... we also have to make sure the venue is good with us consuming our own alcoholic beverages in their parking lot.

The 'Maggie Valley Inn' (EOM '14) all of a sudden decided that their own bar sales suffered, and, could of prospered with all of our purchases (betcha they saw all of us dwunks in the prior year!?, ahh 4 sure!). So, they made that a rule "only purchased on-site beverages may be consumed on the property".

So another small twist that I've added to my "Rider" contract... when I arranged both SEO & the Penn-Run.

If I may butt in and give my two cents worth - actually I have less than that invested in this matter
rolleyes.gif
But the "show up and ride" concept is what was adopted in 2011 with our so called SFO when the primary organizers generally backed out after 2009 and 2010. FJRchick and mbottoms and co. put on a great true rally for a few years running. But FJRchick moved to Cali and I guess it became too much for the other guys. Sound familiar??

In 2011 a month or two before the usual time frame of SFO someone suggested we just "show up" in Russellville. Whoever it was called and got us a block of rooms and negotiated a fair rate. There were about 15 of us that just "showed up" in Russellville, AR on a designated weekend (down from 50-60 at prior SFO's). The hotel was kind enough to set aside a banquet room and let us order off the menu from what I recall. There was no swag or any set rides etc... we had a great time and that set the stage for the following year.

In 2012 Patriot took the mantle and set up the current format of "Hey, this is the weekend we're meeting in the Ozarks and everyone is invited". It worked well and when Patriot had some personal issues and had to bow out in 2013, I picked up the mantle and started posting the same thing he did the year before, just a very basic invite of when and where. Granted, attendance has dropped off considerably. But the 8-12 of us that do show up have a damn blast! Our hosts at The Hub are some of the most genuinely nice people you'll ever meet. They give us a very fair rate of $65 a night. It's not the JW Marriott by any stretch of the imagination but it fits our needs. They don't serve alkeehal on the premises due to license and liability reasons, but welcome us to BYOB. That actually works out in our favor! There are two liquor stores only a mile away and as you all know the FJR side cases were designed specifically to hold a 12 pack each.
coolsmiley02.gif
They have an onsite restaurant that fits out needs for breakfast or dinner if we don't plan to eat on the road on the way out in the morning or back in the evening. Of course the riding in the area is second to none. Essentially we just show up, ride, eat, drink, sleep and get up the next morning and do it again. Most importantly, we have a blast doing it!

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that it doesn't have to be some big fancy organized meet for it to be enjoyable. You guys seem to have a core group that loves the event and enjoys getting together, I encourage you to "Just Do It".

Alright, now I'm gonna run back across the Mason Dixon line before I get shot!
bow_arrow.gif
Good luck guys - if you're lucky, I may just "show up" in 2016!
tonguesmiley.gif

Guys I recently moved to Schenectady about an hour from lake George. If no one else volunteers I could try organizing something in the lake George Adirondacks area.

This sounds very interesting!! August for me is hit or miss because of the family schedule. Sports for they boys start gearing up that month, per-season workouts. If there is a job that can be done by someone that doesn't need to be there I can help out; of course if the weekend is open I'm there. Example: I know scouting stuff on the internet can be time consuming so I could put together list of good food stops on the routes. Hell, scout a micro brew and route a Smokey and the Bandit run FJR style for a few pops............then again those poor things could be well shaken by the time they get to the hotel.
weirdsmiley.gif

I'm just out of the hospital (back surgery) so helping this year is out for me. That said, I can help with a 2016 NERDS.

Route 8 through the Adirondacks has moved up to my top 5 favorite roads. It's almost 70 miles of mind clearing black top. On the downside, it can be crowded. But man, if you catch it quiet.... I think I would prefer to ride it not in a group. We all say ride your own ride. My ride on 8 occasionally hit triple digits. Couldn't help it. Just let her stretch her legs, focusing up front instead of watching the dash. It has more than a couple fast-fast sections.

Route 8 through the Adirondacks has moved up to my top 5 favorite roads. It's almost 70 miles of mind clearing black top. On the downside, it can be crowded. But man, if you catch it quiet.... I think I would prefer to ride it not in a group. We all say ride your own ride. My ride on 8 occasionally hit triple digits. Couldn't help it. Just let her stretch her legs, focusing up front instead of watching the dash. It has more than a couple fast-fast sections.
8 East of Wevertown is quite nice, like around Brandt Lake. Speculator is a beautiful town. But west of Speculator? just too many critters fer me (coming down from 'daks).

Lake George is beautiful!, but, a bit more pricey than what our frugal bunch would desire (in numbers anyways). I would 2nd the area however!, but just for easy sake's?... Stowe VT has all the maps made to/from. So I'm still voting for the Commodore Inn, with Lk Geo as my backup.... but backups werk sometimes better than primary's!

:)

I have never had a bad room or bad beer at the Commodore's. The owner is very accommodating, there is a store right next door that sells beer, fuel is close by, and there's a decent restaurant and bar on premises. And don't forget about Smuggler's Notch a short ride up the street.
bike.gif