NERDS 2018

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Theres always a chance. But this year it will have to be disorganized by someone else. My daughter in Michigan is delivering us a new grandson in August and Im getting myself a new hip installed in July.

After last years NERDS the consensus seemed to be that we had done Stowe enough (5 times!) so it might be a good idea to find someplace else for a change. If you build it, they will come.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply Fred. My best to you and your new hip installation. Also my best to your daughter and your future grandson.

I would help to put together a ride up in the Northeast, but with little knowledge of the area, I wouldn't be that guy. If someone else throws their hat in the ring, I'll be happy to assist in anyway I'm needed. I've always enjoyed the NERDS events. Even another ride like Art did in the Daks would be interesting. Let's see what develops.

After the surgery, heal up well my friend!

Festar and I are looking towards the NE in late August or Early September. NERDS would certainly be on our itinerary if in that time.

Theres always a chance. But this year it will have to be disorganized by someone else. My daughter in Michigan is delivering us a new grandson in August and Im getting myself a new hip installed in July.
After last years NERDS the consensus seemed to be that we had done Stowe enough (4 times!) so it might be a good idea to find someplace else for a change. If you build it, they will come.
Five times!

So Fred W is becoming a hipster now?
coolsmiley02.gif

Kramer was a hipster dufus. Let's hope Fred doesn't become one of those. :) Still can't get Seinfeld out of my head after all these years.

Hard to find a location in New England that has more to offer than that part of Vermont. You can find some great riding in the Adirondacks but its touristy and can be expensive. Crowded too, especially on weekends.

I would suggest the best bet would be northern New Hampshire. Lots of nice roads there and some decent places to stay if you keep north of Conway. Gorham is a possibility with hotel and decent camping options (Moose Brook and Dolly Copp). I would probably attend but pretty difficult to be an organizer from a distance. Anybody local to that area who is willing to scope out venues and help establish routes?

Fred W - between the hip and the Michigan trip you are likely to have a dismal riding season. Good luck with the surgery! (And good luck to your daughter!)

Williamsport PA ?, routes are already done for you. Not that I will be there. I am currently trying to plan a trip to Nova Scotia in late August.

Dave

If someone were to try and pull together an informal NERDS, the simplest thing would be to call the Commodore's Inn in Stowe and have in in the usual place. We have been there many times and the hotel is very accommodating to our group.

OTOH, we have ridden the same routes a few times, the hotel is OK, but the restaurant was on a downhill trend the past few years with last year being pretty bad.

Before someone says why don't I do it, the fact is that I have not been riding much. I rode very little last year and have not even started my FJR yet for 2018. I have just been following other interests.

Hhhhmmm ... have you all been on the Kancamagus Hwy, Rte 112, through the White Mountain National Forrest in NH? I rode it going to & returning from a rally years ago.

How do these NERDS events work? How many normally attend? How long do they normally last?

I'm not much interested in camping; spent enough time on the ground back in the day.

If it's a smaller group, say around 12 to 16, and it's centered around a ski area, (mountains imply twistier roads, IMHO) then we could potentially rent an AirBnB for a weekend. For example, I found one in Thornton with 22 beds, 3 bathrooms for CAD$400 / nt.

The sleeping arrangements would be more comfortable and we could do our own breakfast & supper making it more affordable over eating out all the meals. Plus, I think it's better to share the pain with the purchasing of groceries, cooking & cleaning.

What say ye?

Hhhhmmm ... have you all been on the Kancamagus Hwy, Rte 112, through the White Mountain National Forrest in NH? I rode it going to & returning from a rally years ago.
How do these NERDS events work? How many normally attend? How long do they normally last?

I'm not much interested in camping; spent enough time on the ground back in the day.

If it's a smaller group, say around 12 to 16, and it's centered around a ski area, (mountains imply twistier roads, IMHO) then we could potentially rent an AirBnB for a weekend. For example, I found one in Thornton with 22 beds, 3 bathrooms for CAD$400 / nt.

The sleeping arrangements would be more comfortable and we could do our own breakfast & supper making it more affordable over eating out all the meals. Plus, I think it's better to share the pain with the purchasing of groceries, cooking & cleaning.

What say ye?
Normally 3-4 days duration although some arrive earlier or leave later. New England area, mountains yes. Some twisty and some scenic or a combination. Usually a great social event. 20 to 50 attendees maybe - haven't done a count. Anyone who has ridden in in New England has done the Kanc. Nice ride but often packed with RVs, slow tourists and Harley parades if you don't pick your times right. Lots of good roads in that region which is why I suggested northern New Hampshire. Just need a volunteer to look into accommodations. I'm sure there are a number of individuals who would make route suggestions.

DOH ...
fool.gif
, shoulda realized that of course all y'all would have ridden the Kancamagus ... I was fortunate enough to hit it at a good time earlier in the Spring at a time when there was little traffic.

Clearly my idea of an AirBnB is out based on the numbers.

At one time the Green Briar Inn was used a few times. It is located in Lebenon NH on the boarder of Vermont. It may have changed hands at this point.

Dave