NERDS 2018

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So Fred W is becoming a hipster now? :coolsmiley02:
Only on the left side, HUD. But then that makes sense based on the hipsters Ive met.

At one time the Green Briar Inn was used a few times. It is located in Lebenon NH on the boarder of Vermont. It may have changed hands at this point.
Dave
I think you are mixing up the Briar Inn down in Lewisburg, WV, with the Fireside Inn in West Lebanon, NH, which was where we had the Greens and Whites ride weekends, which were the precursor to NERDS. Fireside Inn is a decent venue. Good breakfasts and what used to be the 7 Barrel Brewpub across the parking lot is now a Salt Hill Pub, which has some good eats. West Leb is close enough to hit some NH and VT roads, like used to do on those Greens and Whites weekends (when it wasnt raining)
The Kank was actually included in one of the Stowe NERDS routes: The Mount Washington route. The eastern part of the Kank that goes from Conway to Lincoln is scenic, but when I rode it earlier this spring the road itself is in crappy shape. So even if you pass some cars its hard to get into any kind of cornering rhythm. In August you would want to ride it early in the day to avoid heavy vacation traffic.

The western part of the Kank (route 112) from Lincoln to the Vermont border is the real gem. Its no smoother, and actually its really rough at the far west end, but the tourist traffic doesnt go any further west than I-93.

Maine has some really scenic areas out in the western lakes and mountains, but their roads are even worse than NH, and hotels on the coast are ridiculously priced in high season. All of which is why we always kept going back to Vermont.

The other place for good MC roads is the Adirondacks, but the hotels in Saranac or Lake Placid are over run with downstaters who drive the prices up to NYC levels. We stayed in Gloversville, NY one weekend for Jim and Iriss Dacks ride. That wouldnt be a horrible location for a NERDS gathering.

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot to add, last year we used about 25 hotel rooms as I recall. It was the lowest turn-out of the 5 years that we had it there in Stowe. (another reason I thought Stowe had been done enough). The first few we had over 40 rooms booked and almost had the hotel to ourselves.

I can tell you from personal experience that if you want to block out rooms at a hotel for this summer you may already be too late. I used to start making the arrangements in the late fall for the next summer.

So Fred W is becoming a hipster now?
coolsmiley02.gif
Titanium hipster.

Dave, You were at Art's Daks Ride years ago also. That was a good area and great ride. Long ride in the twisties. Over 300 miles if I remember correctly.

Yes, Jim and I were chasing Iris all day. It was a blast. That would be a great choice also. I believe it was the second fastest that has been seen on the ODO. The fastest was in Canada believe it or not. I could have lost everything that day.

Dave

Thanks Russ. I shall do my best. Just hoping to be able to ride and hike again without a lot of pain. Its been a long time coming

As for the Adirondacks, yeah the ride routes of the past have covered a lot of the good roads. Ensign Pond Road, Blue Ridge Road and Tracy Road are all famously excellent. But there are several other hidden gems that are further north or west of the traditional routes. I do think that the Dacks would be a great location. Getting the logistics lined up for that is where I have failed in the past. Maybe someone else will be more successful?

Thanks Russ. I shall do my best. Just hoping to be able to ride and hike again without a lot of pain. Its been a long time coming
As for the Adirondacks, yeah the ride routes of the past have covered a lot of the good roads. Ensign Pond Road, Blue Ridge Road and Tracy Road are all famously excellent. But there are several other hidden gems that are further north or west of the traditional routes. I do think that the Dacks would be a great location. Getting the logistics lined up for that is where I have failed in the past. Maybe someone else will be more successful?
I think you did just fine!

I will watch this thread. I am not able to ride alot this year as i am a day tripper and buy a sv650 non runner for a track meant more track days but also more tinker days on the weekend.

if this works out for a free weekend i will scoot on by.

Fred- best of luck on the new grandson and hip.

I also think the Adacks would be a great place for Nerds. I can't do it because I work every weekend now and have been pursuing other interests and not riding much.

Also I think the way Nerds was done may have been better than the way I did the Cats and Dacks. I had 3 guided groups each day. Posting several routes and letting everyone do there own thing would have been better.

Who knows, maybe next year.

Art, You did a great job with the Adacks ride. I look forward to going there again soon. I like the "Everyone do their own thing" events with some routes chosen for people who don't know the area. The guided groups you put together for the ride through the Cats and Dacks was great also. I think everyone enjoyed that event. If you put another ride together in the future, it would be one that I wouldn't miss.