NERDS 5 - We're on a roll now!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Yes Virginia, as alluded to earlier, there will be (yet) another gathering of FJR NERDS (North East Riders Doing "Stuff") in 2017. And better yet, they will be converging in the identical same spot this thing has happened 4 times previously!

So here it is:

What?: NERDS 5 - Basically, Just another good time in Vermont

Where?: The Commodores Inn, Stowe, VT

When?: August 18th - 20th, 2017, but many NERDS come early, or stay late. It's all good. Come and go as you will.

For God's sake, why?: Because we can. And it is wicked nice in Vermont in the summah.

We'll be sticking with our "Basics are the Best" format again this year, and returning to our beloved Commodore's Inn once again because it has worked out so very well in the past, and has been such a great time for all. Why change a thing?

For those that are unfamiliar with this event, and (understandably) unwilling to sift through all the chatter from previous years, this one is the Ultimate FJR Un-Rally. I t is a very low key event, and has always been more about having great times with all of our fellow FJR owners and friends than anything else (note: FJR ownership is not a requirement to attending) .

We try to be an inclusive bunch of dweebs, and set things up for everyone to have a great time, participate in group rides during the day and after hours adult fun, and not feel like an outsider or newby. This one ain't about proving your riding prowess on wicked good curvy roads (unless you really want to), and crashing bikes or even mild tip overs are seriously frowned upon.

Vermont has some pretty awesome scenery, is a great experience for anyone who hasn't been before, and a regular treat for those of us that keep coming back year after year. While most folks schedule this as a long weekend away, some of us show up early and make a full vacation week of it. Why not?

The group rates at The Commodores this year will be:

Weekdays (Sunday thru Thursday nights)
Single person: $92 ($108.56)
Two in one room: $102 ($120.36)

Weekend (Friday - Saturday nights)
Single person: $118 ($139.24)
Two in one room: $134 ($158.12)

Rates are per room and include 1 night's lodging, full Vermont style breakfast buffet per person, (full tax and gratuity included). More than 2 in room = add $16 each ($18.88 with tax) includes lodging and breakfast.

Deposit Policy: A credit card will be put on file upon reserving the room. No charges will be placed on the card. If someone must cancel within 72 hours prior to arrival, a $75 processing fee will be charged to the card on file.

I have placed 35 rooms in the room block this year. If we get a lot of early activity we can increase the number, but don't procrastinate and be left out of all the fun.

The nightly rates at the Commodores Inn may not be the cheapest, but for what they provide, the incredibly motorcycle friendly hospitality of the host/owners, it is really a great value. And the breakfasts do not suck. There has never been anyone who came away from this feeling that they did not get their full money's worth. I think you'll agree.

But, if you are really strapped for cash (or maybe just a naturally frugal type) there are many camping options around that folks have made good use of in past years, and some more budget friendly motels nearby, without so many amenities. And guess what? We'll still let you play in all of our NERDS reindeer games. 'Cause that is just the way we are. Crazy, huh?

OTOH, the FJR NERDS rally fee is exactly zero dollars this year, as it has always been. You come, you have a good time, and that is our full payment.

There will be no official rally tee shirts this year. If you really want one, you can hand make some yourself, and then show them off to make everyone else jealous!

I am looking at arranging a group buffet dinner for either Friday or Saturday evening, but it will be totally casual, pay as you enter, and nothing particularly "special" will be happening that night, except some more good fun with good people.

See what I mean about this being the "Un-rally"? It's a rally that really isn't.
Hope that you can all attend and experience it next August for yourselves.

Contact the Commodores Inn directly via phone for your individual reservations (not via their web site) for the group rate, and mention the FJR NERDS Group.
Their phone number is: 800-44-STOWE(7-8693) or 802-253-7131.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FJR NERDS Ride routes:

(note: No need to create a dropbox account if you don't have one. Just click "No Thanks" at the bottom and it will still let you download the files.)

NERDS'13.gdb - All eleven ride routes in Garmin's proprietary GDB format

NERDS'13.gpx - All eleven ride routes in generic GPX format

NERDS'13 Roll Your Own Route.gdb - File with 82 interesting Vermont Points of Interest in GDB format

NERDS'13 Roll Your Own Route.gpx - File with 82 interesting Vermont Points of Interest in GPX format

NERDS'13 Roll Your Own Route Waypoint List.pdf - File with 82 interesting Vermont Points of Interest in PDF format

We'll have some sign-up sheets for forming up ride groups to the various routes laying around the lobby each morning before breakfast.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hope to see you all in Stowe in August! We're on a roll now!

ROLL CALL!

08FJR4ME (Dave) and Ann
Asphalt Junkie (Paul) and GinaMcD
bbdig (Jack) and Jane
BigOgre (Mike)
bluejag (John) and Gail
BugR (Chris)
deang (Dean)
FJReady (Russ) and Sarah

FJRPittsburgh (Jeff)

Fred W (Fred) and Josie
GDSFJR03
Geezer (Greg) and Son-in-Law Tommy

Intech (Bob)

ionbeam (Alan) and Helen
LittleJon (Jon)
Mad mudder (Tim)
MEM (Maryellen)
On2 (David)
Ozzy (Mel)
RossKean (Ross) camping?
S76 (Bob) and Hope
shakin (Ian) and Cindy
stevec677 (Steve) w/ friend Chuck and his son Eric
Sullivan (Sully)

TopSpeed1 (KJ)

Wineguy (Mike)

yamafitter (Bill)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds great. Deena plans to come with me if she can line up someone to watch her girls.

Oh my gosh, your little girl has kids? Feeling very old, am I. But it would be great to see you both again.
They get older, we don't.
coolsmiley02.gif

The Wynne's are planning to attend this very low key event. It's a great time to relax and enjoy great company. Fred! you just make sure little Fred has no plans of getting married around these dates Will Ya.
wink.png

Dave & Ann

Reservations made with the Commodores Inn and approved by the boss. (Wifey)

See you there,

Dave

I think you are first, Dave. I haven't even figured out which days I'll be there yet.
wink.png

One note of warning and I will quit harping:

Based on last year I only blocked out 35 rooms. This was about how many we used last year, and I don't want us to be a burden on the venue by blocking out more rooms than we will use. They are a Mom and Pop outfit and they work hard to fill their hotel every week they can. I'll note that Carrie has also said that things are "looking busy" for next summer, which I take to mean that the reservations are coming in pretty well for them, as compared to prior years. What this means is that if you delay in making your reservation, the rest of the hotel may be booked out and we'd be unable to expand our presence there.

So... don't delay, and don't procrastinate. Make your reservations early if you think you're at all likely to attend, and you have right up until 72 hours prior to cancel. That will cover any sort of a freak August monsoon that shows itself on the weather channel, or if your cat gets sick and you can't leave it, and you'll be out exactly 0 (zero) dollars. Nada.

Also previously I noted that they will not even place a hold on your charge card until after that grace period. They are nice people and just don't do that, unlike many other places. So, there is no good reason not to make your ressies early. Don't be that guy that gets left out of all the fun just 'cause he was ambivalent. Be one of the cool kids that has a great time in Stowe!

And now, I will not bother you with such rah, rah stuff again.

It's a one stop vacation and has it all. Bar, Restaurant awesome breakfast. Gas and beer right next door within a short walk. Hell you can't beat it. Heck if you get board you can actually go motorcycle riding.

Dave

I got some places on my map that need to be filled in. I might just be up for this kind of thing.

UHHHHH, it is a 1000 miles exactly. I had no idea it was that far.

Some of the pictures on Google look pretty awesome from a scenery standpoint.

At ~ $110.00/night for lodging/breakfast, I would say you need to have your Yankee creds revoked!
weirdsmiley.gif
The last couple of times, I have elected to take a more frugal approach by camping in a nearby State park. Not the same experience as staying at the Commodore's but still enjoyable; especially if there are a few who prefer this. Commodore's has a GREAT breakfast selection, very good service and a great place to hang out under the front awning while drinking beer and telling lies. Not sure what I'll do this year for accommodations but I plan on going to Stowe unless I am away somewhere. Can still hang out with the FJR crowd at the Inn but the drinking has to wait until back at the campsite.

$110 per night with a full breakfast is dirt cheap by Stowe standards.

Throw in multiple hot tubs, both an indoor and outdoor pool, an on-site bar and restaurant, a motorcycle/parking lot social friendly staff, accessibility to some of Vermont and upstate New York's best roads, and you have all the makings for an excellent non-rally rally. The money you save on T-Shirts, swag and rally fees helps too!

It's a one stop vacation and has it all. Bar, Restaurant awesome breakfast. Gas and beer right next door within a short walk. Hell you can't beat it. Heck if you get board you can actually go motorcycle riding.
Dave
Don't forget Ben & Jerry s Ice cream factory only what? A mile down the road?

Dave
Don't forget Ben & Jerry s Ice cream factory only what? A mile down the road?
Shusssssssssssssssh, don't tell my wife that. she will make me walk everyday.