NERDs IV 2016 Seafood RTE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steel_Gin

Reaction score
I know it's way early but I already put it out there so might as well keep it going. What I'm thinking about doing since I haven't been to Maine and being relatively close was to make a seafood run to Maine for my ride on Saturday. Before planning a route I'd like to hear some recommendations for some good seafood places in ME. Open to a group ride there but if people want to do their own thing with the plan of meeting at the place picked out that would be perfectly fine as well. Keeping with the theme of the event, just want to keep it simple and have a great lunch.
smile.png

There are tons of places. In the past, some New Englanders have done a day (or two) "Chowder Run" as part of a ride along the Maine coast; stopping at a number of seafood places along the way. A Chowder Run search might net some preliminary results for you.

@Dean -

If you look at a big map you'll see that the interstate highways in northern New England go predominately north-south (carrying the wealthy southern New Englanders up into the playgrounds of northern NE) and not many go across E-W thru VT, NH and ME.

US Route 2 does get you east to Bangor Maine, and from there you can be on the coast in another hour or so to the Bar Harbor area, which has some very good eating establishments, but the distance will put it out of your "day trip" plans. Just getting to Bangor is about a 5 hour ride, then add another hour to get out to the coast.

The fastest way to get to the Maine seafood frm Stowe, VT will be to shoot for the southern-most coastline, that way you can blast down I-89 to I-93 south to Rte 101 east to the coast in Portsmouth NH, then up I-95 to your Maine destination. It will still be a 3+ hour ride to Kittery which is the southern most coastal town in Maine, via this fastest route.

There are lots of great seafood places in Southern Maine, too. What specifically are you looking for? Steamed lobsters and clams? Are you more of a raw bar guy? Are lobster rolls your big desire? Fried Clams your thing? Or maybe a great bowl of chowder is what you are after? Let us know what you're thinking of, and I can come up with a few places in Southern Maine that will fit the bill.

Also, considering this will be mid summer, you'll need some guidance getting to the destination so you don't get hung up in the tourist traffic. The Maine coast is a very popular place in the summer months, and the traffic on US route 1 can be epic, especially on Saturdays. That was why we always held the "Chowder Run" the weekend before Memorial Day, before the vacationers take over "Vacationland". (Hey, it's on their license plates, so it must be true!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot to mention... here's a great resource for great places to eat in Maine, and if you browse around the site a little, anywhere else in New England as well.

Disclaimer: This is not my web site, and I have had no part in its creation or content. I'm just passing it along as a place to get some ideas from.

I just played with google maps and the shortest route is to head into Portland ME. (179 miles) Most likely the most scenic but I am not sure how the traffic would be. Heading into Kittery is mostly slabbing it but less time according to google. (191 miles) I know how the last stretch of 95 can be and let me tell you it sucks. Either way it's going to be a long Day. Judging from my experience (Cough, Cough) your talking 10+ hours for the ride. Now I know there are a lot of dam good restaurants in Portland. I would have to call my sister to find out what's best.

My top two picks: Fried seafood platter or Lobster roll.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the tips and keep them coming!! Didn't realize traffic would be as heavy as described and definitely play a big factor in the planning. I will check out the links and see what jumps out at me. As far as what I'm looking to for I'm not locked in to fried, soup, etc.; being able to get there and back with in the day will be very important as well as being really good food.

If it doesn't look like it will pan out believe me I'll be equally as happy riding the VT & NH roads, really can't go wrong either way. Weather conditions will be taken in to consideration as well the day of if it gets that far in the planning.

Dave makes a good suggestion about going due west to Portland. You can take Rte 302 to Rte 25 almost all the way, and that is a nice two lane ride. Here's a Google Maps link of that route. The ride on 25 through to Plymouth is nice open sweepers and mountain scenic. You'd skirt the north end of Lake Winnipesaukee and then the ride from Ossipee, NH over to the Portland area is pretty nondescript. The ride will be about 4 hours, but you shouldn't hit too much traffic anywhere along the way.

I'd probably try to stay out of downtown Portland for lunch, maybe head just a bit further up the coast to Freeport or Yarmouth?

Harraseeket Lunch and Lobster Company is on the water in Freeport and is a good take. It is casual dining (including some picnic tables outdoors if you like). Ultra fresh seafood as the restaurant is right in the harbor where the lobster boats pull in. It is a quintessential Maine lobster pound experience, though a bit on the pricey side. There are a number of places along Rte 1 in Freeport, which is also the home of LL Bean, if you are into that kind of thing.

The Royal River Grille House is a bit more formal, and nice, further south in Yarmouth. As the name infers it overlooks a marina on the Royal River inlet from Casco Bay. Nice views. Also pricey

Days Crab and Lobster is a more frugal take-out lobster shack with picnic tables, but it's right on Rte 1 in Yarmouth, (so not much ambiance there), Just fresh lobster rolls, crab cakes, and fried seafood.

If I had to choose one for you, I'd shoot for the Haraseeket L&L. We've gone there for dinner on the Chowder rides in the past, and I take my Mom there every once in a while (she lives in Portland).

A "lobster run" sure sounds like fun to me. We've done them from Rutland, VT and it's an all day trip up and back. But the food sure is good.