New 2005 FJR1300 ABS Owner

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 98149

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My wife and I are new owners of a 2005 FJR ABS that we purchased in Ventura, CA two weeks ago with approx 51,000 miles on the odometer. Our plan is to wander around the country for a few weeks with it, eventually making our way back to NYC where we live. We’re excited to join the community of FJR owners and to enjoy some of the long-distance adventures that so many of you have already had.

We’ve already done over 1,200 miles on the bike, but we’re still getting used to being on a bike this heavy, especially two-up and fully loaded with luggage. (My first and only other bike is an MT-03, which is quite a bit lighter.) We‘ve already learned the hard way how easily this bike can tip over at low/no speeds and welcome any suggestions on how best to manage such situations.

Some questions for all you experts:
  1. Any recs for replacing the left rear view mirror, either Yamaha or aftermarket? The mount broke during a tip-over, although the mirror still works and isn’t in danger of falling off.
  2. Are there better windscreens for riders around our height of 5’8”? The bike came with a large National Cycles VStream windshield which reduces buffeting when fully extended, but at speeds over 75mph it seems to create quite a bit of turbulence.
Thanks in advance for welcoming us and for any advice you may have!

JP

Attachments

• 5609EAB8-49C1-4213-A01E-E3B2924A96C9.jpeg
    5609EAB8-49C1-4213-A01E-E3B2924A96C9.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
Welcome aboard and congrats on your new ride. Enjoy!😉 My preference as far as windshield is Rifle. As far as mirrors some switch to FZ1 mirrors. I've mounted mine on extenders but no problem just replacing what you have. Just my 2cents. 😃

Last edited:
Welcome aboard and congrats on your new ride. Enjoy!😉 My preference as far as windshield is Rifle. As far as mirrors some switch to FZ1 mirrors. I've mounted mine on extenders but no problem just replacing what you have. Just my 2cents. 😃
Sounds like the mirror sub-frame is broken. While many find the FZ1 mirrors to be a good replacement, it might not solve the problem.
(Hard to tell from the description whether it is the internal mount or where the mirror mounts to the base.)

Welcome to the Forum from OKC.

Most folks tend to go with the FZ1 mirrors (I do), excellent view of traffic.

Most folks end up paying and then by trial and error, surely not the best way, but lots of good suggestions and windshields out there.

Thank you all for the warm welcomes and sound advice. I knew I came to the right place!

Hello JP, welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new bike. How are you enjoying yourself so far?

Hello JP, welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new bike. How are you enjoying yourself so far?
I’m enjoying it but still learning how it handles. Upgraded to a pair of Michelin Road 6GT tires which has improved road feel over the 7 year old Roadsmart 3s that the bike came with.

Am currently trying to track down Rifle’s tuning block for the windscreen (thank you @fastpappy for the tip about Rifle) on the used market. The company says they are backordered several weeks. It seems like it might do the trick for my wind woes.

Hope you can get used to the handling part, especially with the new set of tires, plus the right windscreen. Have fun!