New Bike Choice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If there were no RSs produced in '21 it was a matter of parts/chip availability (like every other vehicle manufacturer), not an executive choice. And I've not read or heard anything about no '22s either, other than for the same reason. BMW has produced RxxxxRS motorcycles in more limited numbers over the last many years, as the GS has become the sales behemoth, and RT sales have been solid, especially to law enforcement. The bike is too good, and the market (though small) too steady. Stupid ordering is a more likely reason for none on the floor going forward.

I know I'm late to this discussion, but FWIW, my RS is just like the one in the first post.

A little Google will find used 2021 RS's on the market and maybe a few old stock. It makes exactly zero sense to market something you are not intending to build. A search on Cycle Trader seems to indicate the dealers feel like the 2022 will be built - they're certainly trying to sell them. Not even Harley-Davidson is arrogant enough to tell their demographic they will build something and not do it. I have my story and I'm sticking with it.

This thread sure resonates with me since I was in the same position in 2019. I had purchased my second FJR in 2016 (Cobalt blue Gen 4) and was perfectly happy with it. But, since life is short, I reasoned that before I stop riding (currently in my early 70s), I should experience owning what I anticipated was the "top of the line" in sport tourers... a K1600 GT Sport (silver and black with red GT graphics and Remus silencers). My reasoning at the time was after I get the BMW, I'll sell the FJR... no reason to have two sport tourers in the garage.

Well... here I am, two and a half years later and I still have two sport tourers. The FJR has just over 50K on the clock, and the BMW 22K. My problem from day one has been that the FJR does so many things as well or better than the BMW that I can't (or won't) sell the FJR.

I must admit, the BMW has two major things going for it... the shift-assist and the in-line 6. The motor is a smooth, silky beast with limitless (to me) power. What does the FJR have going for it... dollar for dollar, everything else... transmission, cooling system, throttle response, etc.

As far as maintaining the BMW, I'm fortunate to live 80 miles from the best dealership in the Southwest (Iron Horse Motorcycles in Tucson, AZ). They treat your bike like it's their bike. While dealer costs are generally higher for BMW than Yamaha or Kawasaki, they've always done it right the first time. A riding buddy has a Kawi ( the super charged SX SE). He's had multiple major system and fairing failures, and when he brought it to the dealer for his 30K service, was greeted with an invoice of $3300. Who knew they replace the fuel pump inside the gas tank as part of their "routine maintenance."

I should probably wrap this up... The bottom line for me is I love in-line engines, so an RT would never find a spot in my garage. To me the FJR meets or exceeds expectations better than anything I've owned to date. My present dilemma is I'm really intrigued by the new 2023 Triumph Tiger 1200 GT Pro. I may consider trading in one of my sport tourers on one in the Spring... which one you ask???

A little Google will find used 2021 RS's on the market and maybe a few old stock. It makes exactly zero sense to market something you are not intending to build. A search on Cycle Trader seems to indicate the dealers feel like the 2022 will be built - they're certainly trying to sell them. Not even Harley-Davidson is arrogant enough to tell their demographic they will build something and not do it. I have my story and I'm sticking with it.
I saw on YouTube that the 2022 FJR will be the last of the FJR 1300s.

As far as maintaining the BMW, I'm fortunate to live 80 miles from the best dealership in the Southwest (Iron Horse Motorcycles in Tucson, AZ). They treat your bike like it's their bike. While dealer costs are generally higher for BMW than Yamaha or Kawasaki, they've always done it right the first time. A riding buddy has a Kawi ( the super charged SX SE). He's had multiple major system and fairing failures, and when he brought it to the dealer for his 30K service, was greeted with an invoice of $3300. Who knew they replace the fuel pump inside the gas tank as part of their "routine maintenance."
That is one concern I have about Japanese bikes. I do all the maintenance that I can (not the heavier stuff like valve adjustment) on mine but I question the service techs at the dealerships. Their work is questionable and times I have gone behind them, I see shoddy work. Bolts that are not properly tq'd, splines and shafts not properly lubed and wheels with the same weights coming off of them that have had new tires put on them. I don't change my own tires, but I am going to get a balancer. They are cheap and easy to do. I don't know about the BMW techs, they may be no different.

That is one concern I have about Japanese bikes. I do all the maintenance that I can (not the heavier stuff like valve adjustment) on mine but I question the service techs at the dealerships. Their work is questionable and times I have gone behind them, I see shoddy work. Bolts that are not properly tq'd, splines and shafts not properly lubed and wheels with the same weights coming off of them that have had new tires put on them. I don't change my own tires, but I am going to get a balancer. They are cheap and easy to do. I don't know about the BMW techs, they may be no different.
Agree with your assessment 100 percent. When you find a dealership/technician (whatever brand) that treats you and your machine right, support them and hope they never change personnel.

While I do the oil changes and rear gear oil services on my FJR (super simple), these same services are a little more complicated on my BMW. And then there is the pesky "service needed" reminder light on the BMW, which can only be reset by the dealer or by buying an electronic interface tool. ;>(

Your options increase significantly if don't agonize over a chain.

A GPS-driven Pro-Oiler system virtually eliminates chain concerns on a Long-Distance ride:

092221-2022-Suzuki-GSX-S1000GT-Plus-f.png

There is no such thing as an ST1800. There is however a GL1800. Gl1800 owners call their bikes ST1800's because they don't want their friends to think they have an "old man's" bike so they make it sound sporty. :LOL:

And I wouldn't be hung up on color so much. You can always get a bike painted, I've done it twice.

The 2022 FJR comes with electronic suspension.

For a seasoned sport touring rider, this is apples and oranges. The RT is an excellent motorcycle. It will cost more to buy and maintain, but presumably, it gives more in the desired areas for the money. Things like more advanced ABS, more electronic gizmos, etc.

The FJR is more sporty and more basic, for good reason. It's a proven reliable design that has been altered very little over the years. It works, and Yamaha chose not to mess with it much.

I like the R/T. I've ridden several of them over the years. Again, they are solid motorcycles - ride very well. But they aren't sporty enough for me. The forward position of the FJR with the neutral foot pegs is a great combination - good compromise for the highway, and excellent feel for the weight of the bike in the twisties.

And at 82K miles, I'd still take my FJR anywhere tomorrow and really not worry about getting back. On the R/T, I wouldn't have that same confidence. Too much electronic nit picky crap to go out 500 miles from anything, and I'm stuck like Chuck. That's just my $0.02 worth.

Good luck.

FWIW - I plan to buy a new motorcycle in 2022 as well. It's not gonna be an R/T. It's gonna be FJR number 4.....
Did you go out and buy a new 2022? I did. The transmission, especially the 5th gear, is a little noisy and so is 6th - 6th is infinitely more noisy than my 2005 since I dind't have a 6th gear. Maybe its noisy because it had to fit into the existing space? SO, if you did buy a new bike, have you changed anything? Like the teeny weeny itsy bitsy windshield?

It's been a tough year and it's time for an update. Right after I started this journey the stock market took a giant shit and my bike money evaporated. But, not all is lost. A surge brought it back and my new bike money reappeared. Had to make a decision. Drum roll please....

cosySec.jpg

The teutonic sirens got to me. Well, perhaps not as much as I felt that mama Yamaha left me. The current iteration of the FJR is just not with the times - if you can find one to buy that is. I think it is obvious to all of us that our beloved Feej is dead. It's time to move forward. So, we'll give the BMW R1250RS a go. The bike as shown sure isn't complete (what new bike is?). It's going to need luggage (probably Shad), a new wind screen (probably Vstream), bar risers (Helibars), likely a seat job (Rich's), and if I get a wild hair, I'll get rid of that monstrous can and change it out for something a little more attractive. I can't say I'm all that warm and fuzzy with the BMW ecosystem so far. Hell, I was never that warm and fuzzy with the Yamaha system either. The whole thing seems designed to vacuum your wallet while providing minimal service. I've already sworn to never darken the door of the local dealer for maintenance or accessories. That's a promise I can keep.

For a while anyway, I'll keep the Feej in the garage. If I don't get along with this one, I've always got that love affair. If mama Yamaha decides to re-up something like the FJR in a more modern package, I may be back for another go. But for now, Bavaria beckons.

After almost 3-1/2 months, BMW delivered my new scooter. It was kind of a fun process. Once you get your VIN, you are able to track your bike from manufacture in Berlin to delivery in Seattle. I must say that the local BMW dealer managed to earn back some of the enmity they had acquired earlier by knocking off 500 bucks from the price when I picked the bike up. Nice. Of course, like any bike, it's never complete when you get it and it needs a bit of farkeling. The biggest need was panniers and a top box. If you procure from BMW, that pushes $3k, but if you work the aftermarket, you can get it down to something like $1100 from Europe. That includes mounts and freight. I have to say I am impressed with the overall quality of the SHAD bags. That should be expected as SHAD is OEM for BMW and others. So, here's a pic of what I finally wound up with:

20230603_180126.jpg