New Bike, time for a new TankBag

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdisher

formerly Renegade, get used to it.
Reaction score
I have use and love the original Bags Connection Engage tank bags.  (though I wish they had more pockets).

I haven't bought a bag in 10 years.  Show me what's  new and works best with the FJR these days.

-=MD

Gots the SW Motech EVO City and have been happy with it for a few years now.  Maybe a little on the large size but I do have a habit of carrying too much crap so it works for me.  (Or is it if I went with a smaller model I wouldn't carry so much crap??)  No issues hitting the bar ends and it's held up well to the elements.  Has the Quick-Lock system which I really like which makes transferring it from bike to bike a non-issue and also makes gas stops a breeze.  The slope in the design fits the FJR's tank well IMO.  Downsides might be the price and that you still need to whip out the cover during any substantial rain but even so I think I'd buy it again if need be.

20191001-112625.jpg

Yes I have both sizes of the original engage bags.  Can’t find a new tank ring so I can keep using them :)

The current models are different and won’t mate to my bags. Hence the search. 

I badly want to go back to using a tank bag. For trips they’re the shit. But my Givi x-whatever interferes with the bars at lock, due to the helibridge. I have yet to find a bag that sits far enough back to clear. 

I use the SW-Motech EVO Trial bag.  I also have the Heli bar (bridge?) set up.  There is mild contact at full lock position but its never been an issue.  Many thousands of miles with this set up.  

FYI, contacted SW-Motech directly and you can still get the mounting bracket, ordered directly from them so I can continue to use my legacy Bags Connection Bags.

:dance:

I use the SW-Motech EVO Trial bag.  I also have the Heli bar (bridge?) set up.  There is mild contact at full lock position but its never been an issue.  Many thousands of miles with this set up.  
Mild contact I can dealt with. My bars are in the middle position. Yours? I need to find a strap version of this bag. 

Considered the FJR1300 bag from Yamaha. But have no idea how clearance is. 

Just to poke the bear, I'll toss out the thought that the very easiest bag to get out of the way for a fill up or to move away from the horn button is the magnetic kind.  The one I have now is from Roadgear, but there are many makers and styles.  What I think is important are getting the size you want (with an all-around zipper for expansion, and a map holder that's big enough to slide a decent sized map into without so much folding you ruin every map the first trip out.  Number of pockets, rain covers, little holes for wiring connections, etc. are all personal choice things.  Mine's pretty big but not big enough to be in the way (and easy to move back if it's hitting something).  I had one big bag that hit my kill switch in a sharp turn one time--took a couple of frantic moments to figure out what the hell happened.

Some worry about possible scratches from the magnets.  I've got no visible scratches from mine, but a nice assortment from various other hazards.  Of course, I don't wash my bike either.

One more thing--if somebody wants to steal your bag, or what's inside it, easy, no matter what you use.  But if you want to bring it in overnight, another point for the magnets.