New Bike?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbrewton45

Reaction score
Okay So my brothers turning 18 in a week,and hes getting his MSF license in 4 days,my problem is I dont really know what would be good for him. He doesn't want a crotch-rocket,he likes cruisers pretty decently,but he wants something more up right/more like the FJR,any ideas? Thanks for the help! :D

A medium sized bike 500-750 in the standard configuration is the best starting point unless he is overly short or really light weight.

Suzuki SV650, SV650SF, or GSX650F would I think be good choices if he's looking to buy new

OR (with great humility)

My 04 FJR is for sale, $7,600 see for sale thread

Last edited by a moderator:
Weestrom, 650 v-strom. You can do a bunch with them. He can put pelican cases on it and it is pretty upright. You can also put risers on it. My buddy has a 1000 and loves it. It's a twin also so any town/city riding is nice with a little more torque and low rpm riding.

Weestrom, 650 v-strom. You can do a bunch with them. He can put pelican cases on it and it is pretty upright. You can also put risers on it. My buddy has a 1000 and loves it. It's a twin also so any town/city riding is nice with a little more torque and low rpm riding.
Yup. Nice bike, versatile, surprisingly agile, just might be a little tall for him at 5'6".

Last edited by a moderator:
He's only 18, likes cruisers, but wants to be more upright... Try something in the Bonneville family; like an America or a Speedmaster.

Which would you guys prefer? Hes torn between both the SV650 and the FZ6,anyone clearly superior?

If he is mostly going to be around town and in the twisties then the sv is the bike. If he is going to be traveling on the interstate than the sv is a little light. He will love the v-twin around town, there is torque at low rpm which is nice around town.