New Bike?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first bike was a Suzuki M50. If he doesn't mind cruisers, I'd suggest that. Relatively inexpensive, 800cc motor, center of gravity feels very low, easy to handle and the ground clearance is better than the Feej. Insurance was cheap too (was 22 when I bought it).

I used the bike to commute 90 miles a day to and from work; it's very capable on the highway. I'd still be on the bike if it weren't for getting run-over by someone's grandma.

I'd spend a day sitting on bikes and seeing what he finds comfortable. I think some of the other bikes mentioned may be a little tall for someone 5'6" and just starting out.

m50.JPG

Which would you guys prefer? Hes torn between both the SV650 and the FZ6,anyone clearly superior?
Well, I've never riden an SV, but the FZ is more comfortable than my FJR was. It also has less buzz than did my FJR. And, I'm partial to the inline-4.

I've done 800 mile days on the FZ.

And, I don't know about the SV, but the tires for the FZ are identical in size to the FJR. So...you can convince him that he needs to keep an extra set in stock...then sneak over and steal them.

;)

Which would you guys prefer? Hes torn between both the SV650 and the FZ6,anyone clearly superior?
Well, I've never riden an SV, but the FZ is more comfortable than my FJR was. It also has less buzz than did my FJR. And, I'm partial to the inline-4.

And, I don't know about the SV, but the tires for the FZ are identical in size to the FJR. So...you can convince him that he needs to keep an extra set in stock...then sneak over and steal them.

;)

Sorry to contradict, but the FZ is way more buzzy and is good for 1/2 the time in the saddle. I ride with a friend who owns an FZ6 and we swap bikes when he needs a break. He is currently lusting after a FZ1 so he can get rid of the vibes. It is a great motorcycle, and for a first bike they are great! You can pick up an 06 for $4500.

I'm actually thinking about purchasing one for my wife's first bike, but she wants the new 250 ninja.

My first bike was a Suzuki M50. If he doesn't mind cruisers, I'd suggest that. Relatively inexpensive, 800cc motor, center of gravity feels very low, easy to handle and the ground clearance is better than the Feej. Insurance was cheap too (was 22 when I bought it).
I used the bike to commute 90 miles a day to and from work; it's very capable on the highway. I'd still be on the bike if it weren't for getting run-over by someone's grandma.

I'd spend a day sitting on bikes and seeing what he finds comfortable. I think some of the other bikes mentioned may be a little tall for someone 5'6" and just starting out.

m50.JPG
Thats a very nice looking bike :)

Would it be to big?

no I don't think so they aren't all that powerful about 60 or 70 hp, but it has it there if he needs it. check out VTX FORUMS

here is a photo of the one I had. Plus you can get one used for around 6000 decked out.

DSC00424.jpg
And so is this one lol.

;)
Haha,good idea of on the extra set :D .

Sorry to contradict, but the FZ is way more buzzy and is good for 1/2 the time in the saddle. I ride with a friend who owns an FZ6 and we swap bikes when he needs a break. He is currently lusting after a FZ1 so he can get rid of the vibes. It is a great motorcycle, and for a first bike they are great! You can pick up an 06 for $4500.

I'm actually thinking about purchasing one for my wife's first bike, but she wants the new 250 ninja.

Yea,it seems as though people on CL's doesnt wanna let go of their FZ's :/.

but the FZ is way more buzzy and is good for 1/2 the time in the saddle. I ride with a friend who owns an FZ6 and we swap bikes when he needs a break. He is currently lusting after a FZ1 so he can get rid of the vibes.
Maybe he should get his checked. Or maybe I should leave well enough alone. All I know is that mine is way smoother than was my FJR, and more comfortable, too. I've not ridden any other FZ's, so I have no basis other than mine. But, honestly, I'd rather ride my FZ. Sure, I miss the extra thrust and the storage, but I do like this FZ.

I redid a 92 Seca 2 XJ600S last winter and sold it this spring to a kid with his Dad. It was really quite nice, and all the wear parts had been replaced. No issues with the bike at all.

I saw him a week ago and said hello, but he sheepishly slinked away. I asked another guy why, and he said "Oh, he wrecked the bike in less than two weeks."

Hey, it was his money.

I kinda think most of the guys looking for first bikes should be in the sub $2500 price aisle, and maybe even in the sub $1500 bin.