New Bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeYork5

Reaction score
Well as some on you old timers might remember I tried killing myself about a year ago on my Harley, for the speed I was going and the dynamics the accidedent it's amazing I did as much damage to myself as I did. Largely healed with limited movement in my right wrist and 'foot drop' (nerve damage) on my left foot. Have been in the process of building myself back up, and things are moving along. With a afore mentioned foot problem I need a bike with a heal toe shifter as I can't lift my foot up in a 'shifting motion', also made a commitment to slow down on the riding. I had 5 bikes and was riding to work 2 or 3 times a week to work (140 miles r/t) on LA (405) freeways, and when you do that it isn't of matter of 'if' it's just a matter or 'when' it's gonna happen (although my accident did not occur on my comute and was totally my fault - and avoidable). Anyways, as a result I thinned the herd as it were - gone is the Ducati 1098, gone is Harley Deuce, gone is my FJR (again can't shift so they had to go), still have the BMW but that will probably go as well when I am sure (and I pretty much am at this juncture) that the foot (nerves) is not coming back. So given all those facts, and that I needed a heel/toe'r (YES - I did consider an "E" but remember I want to tone it down), also after much begging and pleading I got very grudging OK from the wife. For those of you who haven't riden a Harley (or would never), in my experience, one thing a Harley does is GENERALLY puts you in a different frame of mind/attitude when your on it. On it, I don't want to go 140 mph or rap off banzi acceleration runs on it, wouldn't matter if I did, with 66 hp and 850 lbs it anin't happening. It just feels fine at 50-80 range and that's where I will be living (I also needed something to polish again, occupy my garage time, my bucket of rags and gallon of ProtectAll was drying up). So say hello to the newest addition to the stable - and probably the last for a while (but you never know). Hey, I'm doing my part to stimulate the economy -

93834124_1thumb_550x410.jpg

Maybe be seeing some of you guys around - Regards

Oh - and I plan of runnig stock exhaust and have no problem letting you by when you want to pass -

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats Mike....glad yer healing and got a bike that suits the new you.

Be sure to tell yer HD buddies to move to the right as well...j/k

Take care! :clapping:

With a afore mentioned foot problem I need a bike with a heal toe shifter as I can't lift my foot up in a 'shifting motion', also made a commitment to slow down on the riding.
Wow, good idea with the heal shifter! But what do you do to shift down?

For those of you who haven't riden a Harley (or would never), in my experience, one thing a Harley does is GENERALLY puts you in a different frame of mind/attitude when your on it. On it, I don't want to go 140 mph or rap off banzi acceleration runs on it, wouldn't matter if I did, with 66 hp and 850 lbs it anin't happening. It just feels fine at 50-80 range and that's where I will be living.
Hey- I rented a Street Glide last spring and really liked it. Its a great looking bike and I liked the 'tude that naturally comes to you riding a HD.

Good Luck!

By the way... B-complex vitamins really helps with nerve injuries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear you're back in the saddle, you must be a true believer in riding and as much enjoy doing it. I applaud you doing it again after the bad spill you experienced.

Hope you can keep the shiny side up for the rest of your days and keep smiling with your nose in the wind :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Alfred

Have been in the process of building myself back up, and things are moving along.
Great news! I don't know you from Adam, but it's always good to see someone back in the saddle!
Oh - and I plan of runnig stock exhaust and have no problem letting you by when you want to pass -
And that, sir, makes you okay, no matter what you ride! :clapping: